Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawmakers reach deal on 'fast track' trade authority

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Just in case there are people who don't know how this is going to go down, I'll mention it. With fast-track authority, congress, who are supposed to be representing us, can't ammend the thing. They get to debate it for 10 minutes an then a straight up or down vote happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by amartin315 View Post
    I don't understand. Is the whole "deal" being done under treaty authority (needing 2/3 vote in senate) or under the authority to regulate foreign commerce (needing a majority in both houses)? I mean, if it looks like a treaty and smells like a treaty and quacks like a treaty, isn't it a treaty? It would seem like fast track tries to by-pass the need for a 2/3 vote in the senate?
    That's what I am getting from this. It's a way to lower the bar, among other things.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It is my understanding that full details of TPP will not be available to the public for 4 years after passing...if true, not very transparent, and just enough time to embed itself beyond removal. Wish Rand would challenge this, get details to the pubic for debate before vote.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If You Want a Trade Deal, ‘Let Us See It’

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) has been one of the loudest opponents to the Obama administration’s proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal, which earned her a presidential rebuke on Hardball last night. Warren fired back on her website this morning, calling for the White House to release details of the trade deal before Congress grants Obama fast track authority. “If the American people would be opposed to a trade agreement if they saw it, then that agreement should not become the law of the United States,” she wrote Wednesday.
    “If most of the trade deal is good for the American economy, but there’s a provision hidden in the fine print that could help multinational corporations ship American jobs overseas or allow for watering down of environmental or labor rules, fast track would mean that Congress couldn’t write an amendment to fix it,” Warren wrote. “Before we sign on to rush through a deal like that – no amendments, no delays, no ability to block a bad bill – the American people should get to see what’s in it.”
    The battle of the trade deal, which is supported by the administration and many Republicans but opposed by labor and environmental groups, threatens to pit flanks of the Democratic Party against each other ahead of election season. Liberals disdain trade deals, arguing they gut the U.S. labor force by sending jobs overseas.

“I love Elizabeth. We’re allies on a whole host of issues,” Obama told Matthews in an interview last night.

“But she’s wrong on this.”

http://www.mediaite.com/online/eliza...let-us-see-it/

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12