Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Lady in California Yells at a Guy On the Beach Who Caught a Fish

Crazy Lady in California Yells at a Guy On the Beach Who Caught a Fish

Everybody gets their cameras out. Lifeguards look on in dismay.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dang - i wanted her to get stung!

Only in California would this liberal nut make a racial slur AND fight for the rights of fish.

Wow. ...

She'll probably be eating that stingray at some restaurant the next day...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

******s from Germany!

Ahhhh Venice, you gotta love it.
    Last edited by orenbus; 04-15-2015 at 09:58 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

3:01

/end

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Well , he does not look German to me , but I did understand the " Loco" part . For Five bucks , I can probably give some of my better stingray recipes .LOL . Thanks for the laugh .

Many Californians , I am sure are proud of her claim she was born there , probably more mainstream than you may imagine if you are caught taking meat home in publc , LOL

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Well , he does not look German to me , but I did understand the " Loco" part . For Five bucks , I can probably give some of my better stingray recipes .LOL . Thanks for the laugh .
    There is a place I take my boat where I can guarantee that I will catch a skate. It's a little hole and have never failed to hook up on the monsters that live in it. It feels like you are getting hung up on a rock but when you work it, you realize that the rock is alive.

Isn't there some California law against yelling at beach fishermen?

Chester Copperpot

I was born in California... I eat fish.. Didnt know people ate stingray though to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    I was born in California... I eat fish.. Didnt know people ate stingray though to be honest.
    A long time ago I heard that some unscrupulous seafood sellers would cut the meat in a manner that allowed it to be passed off as scallops I can't imagine it tasting the same though

I always threw them back, but like asurfholic, I do enjoy catching them. They are fun to fight.

Ahh. Crazy ladies on beaches. I used to like to go to the beach in off-season at the least populated beaches, and read, swim, whatever. One of the last times this crazy old bat walks by with a bag of bread, throwing it willy-nilly to the seagulls, I thought I was going to get dive-bombed. Talk about wrecking someone's solitude unnecessarily. She had hundreds of seagulls following her around.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    She'll probably be eating that stingray at some restaurant the next day...
    Poor man's scallops.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Frankly, I'm more pissed about the illegal aliens there.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    ummmm....you checked their green card?

or are just being so ethnocentric as to believe all Spanish speaking people are automatically illegal?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    Its really decent meat.... most people are sketched out by them because of how nasty the sting can be + they're not rigged for the fight... so they just cut the line. Otherwise definitely food; a bird like that would feed a family for a week or two.
    Last edited by presence; 04-16-2015 at 10:17 AM.

You can still hear her off in the distance.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Its really decent meat....

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012...ay-and-skates/
    Stingray and relatives do make good eating.

Next time you crank up a stingray instead of your intended catch, don’t cuss it, eat it. Yes, you can cook stingray and skates. As unappetizing as they look, and as weird as their anatomy seems, stingrays (skates too) aren’t much harder to clean than your usual table varieties. And, yes, they make delicious dinners.

Do they taste like scallops? You bet. Do some Florida restaurants serve them as scallops? I doubt it. The procurement of stingray “scallops” in restaurant quantity would cost more than buying the real thing. But it’s a good topic for debate at the dockside bar.

In my estimation, the perfect size stingray for the table is one with a wingspan of around 18 inches to two feet. Smaller ones don’t yield enough meat to make the effort worthwhile and those with a span much greater than two feet tend to be stringy and tough, although the fillets can still be quite good if parboiled or baked.
    You’ll find suggested recipes on this page, but let me hasten to assure you that fillets from a two-foot stingray can be cooked in any way you prefer. Sautéed is my favorite style, but I have also enjoyed them fried and grilled.

If you are skilled at filleting flounders you won’t have much trouble transferring your talent to stingrays, for the procedure is nearly identical, the difference being that rays have cartilage in place of bones. Here’s how to proceed:

With the ray lying flat on the cleaning table, poke with your finger to find the line where the tender wing joins the hard back. Using a sharp knife, slice downward along that line from front to back, just deep enough to reach the cartilage.

Next, turn the knife blade flat and work it along the top of the cartilage out toward the wingtip—just like separating the fillet from the bones of a typical fish. Do the same for the opposite wing.

Now turn the ray on its back and fillet the undersides of both wings in the same manner. The bottom fillets will be thinner and smaller—but good. The final step is to skin the four fillets by running the knife between flesh and skin.

An alternate cleaning method is possible, and perhaps preferable when working with a pretty large ray, say one with a three-foot wingspan or greater. Here you simply cut off the wing, place it in a pot, and simmer it for about 30 minutes. Unless you have a very big pot, you’ll need to cut the wing in half. Once parboiled, the skin comes off rather easily. Neither is it difficult to scrape the meat away from the cartilage.

You can kill two birds with one stone by adding spices or other flavorings to the water in which you parboil the wing, and once you flavor it up you can refer to the water as court bouillon. Many cookbooks, including (blush) my own Angler’s Cookbook includes recipes for court bouillons. An easy and delicious one calls for adding salt and pepper, plus a couple of lemon slices and a half-cup of white wine or a quarter-cup of vinegar to each two cups of water.

Boiled ray meat lends itself to many scrumptious treatments. In small bits, it is as good as crabmeat or bay scallops in cold salads and pasta sauces. In slabs or slices it needs only a quick searing on each side, plus your pet sauce, to become a barbecue treat.

Years ago, long before I ever (knowingly) sampled a stingray, yet another system of preparation was described to me. The myth of stingray-for-scallop substitution in restaurants was widespread at the time, so it sounded logical to me. This method requires a sort of cookie cutter made by sharpening the edge of a two-inch iron pipe with a file or grinding wheel. When hammered though the wing of a ray, the makeshift cutter produces a neat plug of meat which, after the skin is sliced away, might pass as a scallop—in taste only. Anyone who falls for the masquerade is bound to get wise when they bite into the cartilage. On the other hand, you still might fool your guests with the accompanying recipe for mock scallops.

MOCK SCALLOPS
    2 stingray wings, filleted, skinned, cubed
    2 eggs beaten
    1 cup plain bread crumbs (more if needed)
    Salt and pepper
    Garlic powder

Cubes from the thickest portion of the wing are best for this treatment, although thinner parts are good too. Sprinkle cubes lightly or to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Dip cubes in beaten egg, then in bread crumbs. Fry at about 350 degrees until golden brown.

STINGRAY WITH CAPERS
    2 stingray fillets (appr. 11⁄2 lbs. total)
    2 oz. butter
    3 tbsp. drained capers
    2 tbsp. vinegar from the capers

Place ray fillets in a shallow pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender (or use ray meat already parboiled per directions in the article). Melt butter in a small saucepan and cook until it turns brown. Add the capers and vinegar and heat until bubbling. Drain the fillets, place on a warm platter, pour the sauce over all and serve immediately. Serves 5 or 6.

BROILED STINGRAY
    Stingray fillets, about 1 to 11⁄2 lbs.
    2 oz. melted butter
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1⁄2 tsp. dried parsley
    1⁄8 tsp. paprika
    1⁄4 tsp. ground white pepper

Set broiler on low to medium. Combine melted butter and lemon juice in a small
    bowl. Cover a broiler pan with foil and brush with 2 tablespoons of mixture. Mix together garlic salt, parsley, paprika and white pepper. Sprinkle spice mixture on both sides of fillets.

Broil fillets until meat flakes, about 10 minutes. Brush fillets again with lemon butter and sprinkle with paprika before serving. Serves 4 or 5.

His technique of pulling the skate down the beach half in and out of the water is also really the best way to keep the fish fresh on the way back to a better storage situation. There generally isn't a huge market for stingray that I know of (its not Japan where dangerous fish make for delicacies) so he's likely feeding his family.

I say more power to him, regardless of his Spanish dialect.
    Last edited by presence; 04-16-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Abhorrent post, Spanish speaking does not equal illegal.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

where is the compassion for that ray?...get that thing back in the water you effin sick bastards, or kill it so it doesn't suffer...$#@!ing bull$#@!...

The animal rights people have gone off the deep end. This woman's reaction is becoming common. They share videos of hunting and fishing on FedBook, and work themselves into a lather over it. Then they donate to "save the animal" type organizations. Of course the majority of them still eat meat, or fish at a minimum. They have become far too insulated from food reality.

On the other hand, hunting or fishing species to extinction is another form of stupidity.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    where is the compassion for that ray?...get that thing back in the water you effin sick bastards, or kill it so it doesn't suffer...$#@!ing bull$#@!...
    I would think that experienced fisherman would have a way to dispatch something that size pretty quickly if they are keeping it. Then again, keeping it alive keeps it fresh, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    Abhorrent post, Spanish speaking does not equal illegal.
    The chances are pretty damned high. You know that.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    link?...you know...PROOF?..

i'll wait over here with everybody else while you look>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>0<

No I don't know that, you are painting with a broad brush.

So now we are to assume everyone in California that speaks Spanish is an illegal.
    Last edited by orenbus; 04-16-2015 at 11:08 AM.

thought so...another hit and run raper in anger post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Only in California would this liberal nut make a racial slur AND fight for the rights of fish.

Wow. ...

well, it is one of Gods creatures being abused for your enjoyment...

The problem is I have no way to judge whether dragging a stingray by the hook along the shoreline to keep it fresh and letting it drown to death is more or less humane than knocking it over the head or doing whatever else you would do to kill it - and keeping it alive and fresh is pretty important if you are going to be transporting it any distance... It's possible those guys actually live in Venice Beach but they might have driven in from South Central or East LA. But really, with the traffic it can take forever to get anywhere some days.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast