Thread: Texas Senate committee approves bill that would put a stop to red-light cameras

Thumbs up Texas Senate committee approves bill that would put a stop to red-light cameras

AUSTIN – Red-light cameras in Dallas and many other North Texas cities would be banned under legislation approved Monday by the Senate Transportation Committee.

The bill by Sen. Bob Hall, R-Canton, would explicitly outlaw future camera programs. And it would eventually stop cities that already have such cameras from using them, though some worried that it might allow cities to keep their red-light cameras for years longer.

The perennial debate over red-light cameras centers on a feature beloved by law enforcement and despised by many in the public.

A cavalcade of police officials – from Denton, Grand Prairie, Plano and elsewhere – said such cameras change driver behavior and reduce crashes. But others questioned the cameras’ actual safety impact and argued that they are just municipal revenue generators.

And though Hall and others acknowledged the law enforcement view, the committee voted 5-0 to send the bill to the full Senate.

“The public has expressed great opposition to the growing practice of unmanned, automatic-controlled traffic cameras,” Hall said.

Red-light cameras – and the accompanying $75 fines – have been controversial since their start in Texas in the early 2000s.

Some object to the idea being cited, albeit for a civil ticket, when a police officer isn’t there to witness the violation. Others don’t like that cities like Dallas, due to a contract quirk, can still report unpaid fines to a credit bureau.

Many charge that the cameras are an invasion of privacy. Still others are stunned to find out that only a small amount of the state’s cut of the fines has reached its intended destination: regional trauma centers.

And some Texas cities – Arlington could be next – have seen their residents vote to outlaw the cameras.

They’ve been “landslide victories of people saying, ‘Remove these cameras from our streets,” said Kelly Canon, an Arlington resident who’s helped push a May ballot proposition to ban the cameras in that city.
    http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.c...-cameras.html/
    Last edited by William Tell; 04-15-2015 at 09:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't Twitter, but THANKS Bob!!!!!

I sent an email.....

Thanks again Bob Hall....
    , ,

Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    I sent an email.....

Thanks again Bob Hall....
    , ,
    Bob Hall, Don Huffines, and Konni Burton are our brand new Texas Senate Liberty team.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Bob Hall, Don Huffines, and Konni Burton are our brand new Texas Senate Liberty team.
    Cool, I also sent an email to Jason Villalba for shutting down the cameras, and asked him to block Jade Helm in any way he could.

I'm az , but I'm hoping contacting anyone that has the initiative to fight the tyranny knows we appreciate it....

, ,

Cool, I also sent an email to Jason Villalba for shutting down the cameras, and asked him to block Jade Helm in any way he could.

I'm az , but I'm hoping contacting anyone that has the initiative to fight the tyranny knows we appreciate it....

, ,
    Thanks for backing us up! Jason Villalba is dog poop though. Unfortunately, he is the most anti liberty member of the house here. https://www.facebook.com/RecallJasonVillalba
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

dont forget to thank Jonathan Stickland for championing this in the TX House!
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    If its liberty, its got Stickland and Simpson behind it.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good job! Now, how about ending Texas' ass-rape surcharge program?

For anyone who doesn't know...as an example, if you get a no insurance ticket in Texass, you don't just a fine of $300.

You pay a fine of $300 X 3. For a total of $900.

And if you don't pay, your license is suspended.

There are literally a million or more Texans with no drivers license because of this bull$#@!.
    Last edited by DFF; 04-15-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks for backing us up! Jason Villalba is dog poop though. Unfortunately, he is the most anti liberty member of the house here. https://www.facebook.com/RecallJasonVillalba
    ooops...lol , I was wondering when I made the comment to him, well at least he knows where an Arizonan feels.
    I hate facebook twitter and that sort of thing, I guess I'm too old fashioned, I just get on the youtubes and comment sections of articles
    and hammer away, the facetwitter stuff gives me the creeps for some odd reason...:shruggs:

, ,

ooops...lol , I was wondering when I made the comment to him, well at least he knows where an Arizonan feels.
    I hate facebook twitter and that sort of thing, I guess I'm too old fashioned, I just get on the youtubes and comment sections of articles
    and hammer away, the facetwitter stuff gives me the creeps for some odd reason...:shruggs:

, ,
    That's funny, I'm only on Twitter, not FB or Youtube.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Done....also asked him to block Jade Helm, and thanked him for all support of the Constitution.

, ,

That's funny, I'm only on Twitter, not FB or Youtube.
    I tried both when they came out, facebook (face recognition sent me packing/biometrics) and twitter was like 16,000 responses in seconds to
    anything and everything, it just didn't seem organized, maybe I'll go back to school and take a summer class on how to make sense of it.

, ,