Thread: Oklahoma State GOP Convention - Brogdon Wins Chair

Oklahoma State GOP Convention - Brogdon Wins Chair

After hours of credentialing delays we finally had a vote on the state chair and vice chair. Randy Brogdon was elected in a runoff race with Pam Pollard for chair and Estela Hernandez was elected over John T. Lewis for vice chair. Sandra Crosnoe said, ” It was a huge win for the people of the Oklahoma Republican party this weekend! I am praising God in the midst of it all.”

see the rest of the article here >>>

Many will remember that Randy Brogdon is a former Oklahoma state senator known for his work on Tenth Amendment issues and the defeat of the Trans Texas Corridor through Oklahoma. He also ran for an open US Senate seat last cycle and was endorsed by many here on the forums in that race. He was defeated by Senator James Lankford for that seat. His election to OKGOP chair should ensure fair treatment for all presidential candidates in the Oklahoma primary for 2016 presidential election.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    WOW! I did not see that coming! I knew he was running and was following his campaign, Liberty must be organized up there in Oklahoma.

Congrats from TX!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Thank you very much TX -- we are working hard up here on your northern border!

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    This is great news! I first heard Randy at an anti-Trans Texas Corridor rally in Austin in 2008. He cracked me up saying that if Texas build the TTC that we'd need to build a big U-turn at the Oklahoma border since it wasn't going thru there. He was an OK State Senator at the time so he meant it, too.

Congratulations to Randy!
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Our new chair Randy Brogdon is a gracious, principled, constitutional, conservative man. I am pleased to now donate to the state party and know all presidential candidates will be treated fairly and graciously in Oklahoma. If you want to be a minuteman or simply donate online to the Oklahoma Republican Party, you may do so here >>>

That's great! Maybe now, I, as an Oklahoma Voter, will get to vote for a Presidential candidate who remotely represents my views! While this is progress, I just want to remind [EDIT] everyone else how $#@!ed up the process in Oklahoma really is:

Oklahomans For Ballot Access Reform is a coalition of Independent voters and supporters of alternative parties in Oklahoma with a shared goal of fair ballot access laws. We work to promote legislation that will improve Oklahoma’s election climate for the better.

Our largest goal is to reform Oklahoma’s laws regulating the formation of new political parties. Oklahoma is one of the worst states in the nation when it comes to forming a new party and getting access to the highest ticket on the ballot, that of President of the United States.

Six states are responsible for 60% of the total national number of signatures needed to place a new party or independent presidential candidate on the ballot in the entire nation. Those six states are California, Texas, Oklahoma, North Carolina, Georgia, and Indiana. - Richard Winger, Ballot Access News

As it stands, Oklahoma requires a new party to gather signatures equal to 5% of the votes cast in the last general election, either for President or Governor, to gain registered party status. For the 2012 election, a new party would have needed more than 51,000 valid signatures. For the 2014 election, a new party would need more than 66,000 valid signatures. Because signatures can be invalidated for any number of reasons, petition gatherers must often gather 30-50% more than the required number to stay on the safe side. Our goal is to reduce that number to the flat 5,000 signatures that was required prior to the law being changed in 1974.

Along with the incredibly high signature barrier to form new parties, Oklahoma places an extremely high barrier to retain ballot access. In order to retain party status from election to election, the new party must field a candidate for Governor and President and gain 10% of the vote in each of those elections. If the party does not field a candidate or their candidate does not get 10% of the vote cast, the party is no longer recognized and it must start over with the petition process. Our goal is to reduce that vote test to the pre-1974 requirement of 1% of the vote and change it from a 2 year status to a 4 year status. Meaning, once a party meets the signature requirement, that party retains status for four years regardless of candidates fielded or votes received.

Why is all this important for Oklahoma? We live in a nation that was founded on the idea of fair representation in government. Because the parties in power in Oklahoma have changed the laws to make it harder to remove them from power, we have lost that ideal. Our government has been set up to force the people to follow those in power rather than the other way around. By reforming Oklahoma’s ballot access laws, we can begin the process of making sure that those we elect are there to look after our best interests and not their own.
    http://okvoterchoice.org/about-obar/
    Last edited by pacodever; 04-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.

DEL CITY, Okla. – According to Oklahoma Watch, the turnout to Oklahoma’s most recent election might be the lowest ever recorded in the state. Only 40.7 percent of registered voters, and a bare 27 percent of all eligible persons, voted in the 2014 election.

This low turnout, however, did have an unintended side effect: it effectively lowered the barrier to entry for third-party candidates and petitioners for state initiatives to get on the ballot in 2016.

But even with the lower requirements presented by lower voter turnout, many see Oklahoma’s ballot access laws as too restrictive. “Oklahoma ballot access laws are absurd and the worst in the nation,” said Carla Howell, Political Director of the Libertarian Party.

Howell is not alone in her view; the Oklahoman Editorial Board recently published an editorial stating that the Oklahoma initiative petition process needs to change, and a report by News9 found Oklahoma’s petitioning process more arduous than the processes in Oklahoma’s neighboring states.

The Signature Problem

Oklahoma, like many states, bases access to electoral ballots on signatures. If an organization or petition gets enough signatures in a certain time frame, it can appear on the ballot.

The number of signatures to collect varies depending on the goal. For a new political party to appear on the ballot, their petition must include a number of signatures equal to 5 percent of the last gubernatorial or presidential vote. On the other hand, petitions to change the Oklahoma constitution must collect 15 percent of the vote in signatures. Furthermore, they must collect these signatures within a 90-day timeframe.

“There has never been an initiative petition process in Oklahoma led solely by volunteers that has been successful,” said Take Shelter Oklahoma’s attorney David Slane. Take Shelter Oklahoma petitioned twice for a ballot initiative to authorize state bonds for the construction of storm shelters in public schools. Both times, their signature drives fell short of the required signature count.

In the 2014 election, voters cast a total of 823,761 votes, according to the State Election Board. This number puts the 5 percent figure for new parties at about 41,000 signatures and the 15 percent figure for Constitutional amendments at about 123,000 to appear on the 2016 ballot.

It’s notable that the count of 823,761 votes is about 20 percent lower than the 1,034,767 votes cast in the 2012 presidential election. That means all signature requirements for petitioners and political parties will go by the same proportion – about 20 percent.

This may seem like good news for Oklahoma petitioners, but critics say that Oklahoma’s ballot access laws are too restrictive regardless of the total vote.

“I am not sure we will see many more initiatives than we have had in the past,” said E. Zachary Knight, the director of Oklahomans for Ballot Access Reform. “Oklahoma's requirements are still very high for most initiatives. With initiatives requiring many more signatures and only 90 days to collect them, very few are likely to succeed without outside financial support.”

This sentiment was echoed by Wallace Collins, the Chairman of the Oklahoma Democratic Party. “I think [Oklahoma’s] signature process is restrictive,” Collins said, “but many groups don’t discover that until they try to get on the ballot. They may have support but no funding. It’s almost impossible to get on the ballot without professional help.”

The costs required for gathering signatures can be substantial. Ballotpedia, an online wiki-style encyclopedia tracking American elections, estimated that in 2010 the cost-per-required signature in Oklahoma was $4.31. This estimate was based on the costs needed for petitioners for State Question 744, related to state funding for public schools, to collect the 138,970 required signatures to get the measure on the ballot. (The measure was later defeated in the general election.)

Using this figure, the cost to a political candidate to get on the ballot would be $176,710, and the cost to put a ballot measure to change the State Constitution on the ballot today would be $530,130. These figures represent a minimum cost – in practice, the expense may be much higher.

“Take Shelter Oklahoma looked into the cost of paying a firm to collect signatures and the least expensive bid exceeded $600,000,” Slane said about the signature gathering process. “Clearly this is an example of money controlling politics and policies impacting everyday citizens.”

Other Challenges

Signature collection struggles aren’t the only part of Oklahoma’s ballot access laws that pose difficulties to petitioners. Equally challenging is the vote retention test for a designated political party to remain on the ballot in subsequent elections.

Richard Winger of Ballot Access News explained the problem. “The Oklahoma retention test, at 10 percent of the last vote for the office at the top of the ballot (Governor and President) is tied for 2nd highest in the nation. The only state with a harder vote test is Alabama at 20 percent.”

The mechanics of the vote test are simple. If a party fails to gather the required percentage of votes in the general election, they lose their party status and must petition for ballot access all over again.

In 2014, two third-party candidates appeared on Oklahoma’s ballot for governor, both running as Independents. The first, Kimberly Willis, received 2.1 percent of the vote, while the second, Richard Prawdzienski, the former chair of the Oklahoma Libertarian Party, received 1.1 percent. Under current Oklahoma ballot law, neither candidate’s party would have been eligible to appear on the next ballot.

Despite the challenges, third party candidates and organizations remain undeterred. “Of course we plan to continue operations in Oklahoma,” Winger said, adding, “Voters are concerned about a lack of choices.”

Knight was also concerned about voter frustration and lack of representation. “Oklahoma, and the U.S., were designed to be a melting pot of political ideologies,” he said. “With a
    growing number of voters in Oklahoma and around the US identifying as Independents, it is time that Oklahoma allows them to register and vote according to how they actually view politics and candidates.”

Unfortunately, the same low voter turnout that is making it easier for parties to gain access to the ballot is standing in the way of real political change. According to Knight, a small percentage of voters are representing the political direction of Oklahoma. “This past election, the governor was elected by fewer than 25 percent of the eligible voters in the state,” Knight said. “That means that a minority of voters chose the direction the rest of state will take for the next four years.”

Oklahoma’s Republican majority is perhaps the only group in the state not concerned about Oklahoma ballot access laws. The Oklahoma GOP leadership did not respond to requests for comment for this article; however, in a recent OETA report on ballot access laws, Republican Party Chair Paul Weston expressed no concern about the state’s ballot access laws. “If you are going to be viable enough, then go organize enough people together to where you can organize as a party and get your candidates on the ballot.” Weston added, “I think [the ballot thresholds] are just fine where they are.”

“We do think [the ballot process] should be opened up,” Wallace Collins said. “But it’s made more complicated by Republican control. I doubt they’re interested because it behooves them to leave it alone.”

Collins explained that the disparity in political funding is a major source of voter dissatisfaction in Oklahoma. “Republican candidates spent $17 million to $18 million in the last election,” Collins said. “Democratic candidates spent about $2.5 million. We were outspent by five or six to one, and that creates a defeatist attitude. People think their vote doesn’t matter when they see eight Republican commercials on TV to the Democrats’ one.”

The Future of Ballot Access

Are there any solutions to Oklahoma’s ballot access problems? Legislation is a possible answer, but it’s not clear where it would come from. “We don’t have any immediate plans to change ballot access laws,” Collins said. From Weston’s comments, it’s safe to say Republicans won’t be working on any change either.

“There is no single solution,” Knight said in regards to increasing voter turnout and changing ballot access laws. “If an individual's vote had greater weight in the election, more people would be inclined to vote.”

Another solution could be opening up the way Oklahoma petitioners can gather signatures. According to David Slane, “The main problem with the law as written is the obsolete notion that they only way to collect signatures is standing on a street corner with a clipboard. With today’s technology, an internet based signature process is verifiable, and could prove to be more accurate, timely, and less costly to the state.”

Still, Knight seemed hopeful that Oklahoma can change and that its ballots could become accessible to any party and organization. “As for voter awareness of the issue, I think that is rising,” Knight said. “People are noticing the lack of choices. Especially with Oklahoma having only 2 candidates for president in 3 elections in a row, people are making the connection. With the coming Presidential election, I think people can be easily mobilized for change.”
    http://www.reddirtreport.com/red-dir...ot-access-laws

And don't forget:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ballot Access is a legislative matter, not a Republican Party issue. Having said that, I am sure that most people want everyone treated fairly. I have worked with Richard Winger for many years on ballot access matters and am sympathetic to the complaints, but have chosen to allocate my time to working within the Republican party. I am very excited about Randy Brogdon's election this last weekend as chair. I do believe that as people of principle are elected fairness will be achieved across the spectrum. When we limit the things that government touches often the left and the right agree more than disagree. We shall see....

Mary Fallin did not manage to find her way across OKC to attend the Republican Party Convention this year. I wonder what priorities could have supplanted her making that trip? Maybe she is re-evaluating which party she belongs to or if she is really going to have to do what our platform says or if the people are really serious yet -- many in office are likely to feel the heat and accountability rising as more and more people wake up to the invasion of our privacy and loss of freedom ongoing.

The times they are a changing and I hope and pray that it will be in a positive direction FOR LIFE AND FOR LIBERTY IN OUR LAND IN OUR TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by scrosnoe View Post
    Ballot Access is a legislative matter, not a Republican Party issue.
    The Republicans have held a supermajority in both chambers of the Oklahoma Legislature since 2012. I would argue that their systematic blocking of Ballot Access Reform IS most definitely an issue for the OK Republican Party.

Additionally, any word on whether Rand Paul will be attending the Souther Republican Leadership Conference next month, hosted in Oklahoma City this year by the OKGOP? Looks like Mary Fallin, John Bolton, Jeb Bush, Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, Carly Fiorina, Lindsey Graham, Bobby Jindal, Rick Santorum, Donald Trump, Scott Walker, and now Marco Rubio, will be speaking.

I was stoked when Randy made time to come meet me on the second ride and joined the meeting with the local Sheriff...

Sincere politicians are rare and OK is blessed with him and this recent development. Congrats to all and I'm sure Sandra deserves a LOT of thanks for the groundwork this victory was sure to entail.

#onward