Thread: Man shoots at armadillo, bullet hits mother-in-law

Man shoots at armadillo, bullet hits mother-in-law

Wow, what are the odds of that happening.

Authorities say a woman was accidentally shot by her son-in-law while he was trying to shoot an armadillo.

The incident had a lot of people scratching their heads- even law enforcement.

"Just the circumstances, just all the way around, the whole situation was unusual," said Investigator Bill Smith with the Lee county Sheriff's Office.

The shooting happened Sunday night on Gosa Road.

Lee County Sheriff's deputies said 54-year-old Larry McElroy was outside when he fired his 9 mm pistol at the armadillo. The bullet killed the animal, but also ricocheted off of it, hit a fence, went through the back door of his mother-in-law's mobile home, through a recliner she was sitting in, and into her back.

According to a report, McElroy was about 100 yards away from the home at the time.

McElroy's mother-in-law, 74-year-old Carol Johnson was fortunately not severely injured.

"She was walking around on her own power and talking," said Smith. "It didn't appear to be too severe. They took her to Phoebe North [hospital]."

James Morgan, the Dougherty County Extension Coordinator said they actually recommend shooting armadillos for residents that live in the county, or a trap can be used to capture them.

"At first I ask if they live in the city or county, because shooting is an effective way of getting rid of them. However, you have to be safe when you do that," said Morgan.

Authorities also suggest using a shotgun to possibly avoid a situation like what happened Sunday.

"I really think if they're going to shoot at varmints and whatnot, maybe use a shotgun.. with a spread pattern with a lot less range," Smith said.

"At first I ask if they live in the city or county, because shooting is an effective way of getting rid of them. However, you have to be safe when you do that," said Morgan.

Another option to get rid of armadillos is using grub pesticide, which kills the insects that armadillos are usually trying to get to.

No charges were filed in the case.
    http://www.walb.com/story/28786983/m...-mother-in-law

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mother in law. Yeah, that bullet had her name on it. Ha ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

"$#@! happens", no need to for a law or arrest, unless the "victim" asks for recompense. Even then, only recompense is necessary.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Wow, what are the odds of that happening.

http://www.walb.com/story/28786983/m...-mother-in-law
    More impressive than any 9 mm round I have ever fired , I have never shot one that would clear an armadillo , chair , wimpy wall and recliner and still penetrate flesh , that thing should have been fairly squashed after the armadillo ,amazing .....

I heard that they carry leprosy. Wonder if she has anything to worry about?

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post

I heard that they carry leprosy. Wonder if she has anything to worry about?
    Maybe , 100 people per yr in the US get it that have been exposed to armadillos , maybe another 100 do as well who were not .

As an internet armchair detective I'd say look to the ammunition used. It was probably not a frangible bullet. If it were an expanding bullet then there may have not been enough powder to allow it to expand properly on impact. Then again if it were a low powder charge it doesn't seem as if it would have enough energy to ricochet, pass through a door and a chair at 100 yds. Screwy. Still, the odds are out of this world.

Lee County Sheriff's deputies said 54-year-old Larry McElroy was outside when he fired his 9 mm pistol at the armadillo. The bullet killed the animal, but also ricocheted off of it, hit a fence, went through the back door of his mother-in-law's mobile home, through a recliner she was sitting in, and into her back.

According to a report, McElroy was about 100 yards away from the home at the time.
    Now, that is one hell of a sharpshooter!!! Chris Kyle can lick this guy's testicles!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: To prove to the armadillo that it COULD be done.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    As an internet armchair detective I'd say look to the ammunition used. It was probably not a frangible bullet. If it were an expanding bullet then there may have not been enough powder to allow it to expand properly on impact. Then again if it were a low powder charge it doesn't seem as if it would have enough energy to ricochet, pass through a door and a chair at 100 yds. Screwy. Still, the odds are out of this world.
    Almost certainly FMJ. anything else I can think of, frangible, hollow point or whatever probably wouldn't make it that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Now, that is one hell of a sharpshooter!!! Chris Kyle can lick this guy's testicles!
    My mind went to the magic bullet that killed Kennedy, if you put this in the plot of a movie, said movie would have to be categorized as fantasy