Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested while building barricade on bridge where daughter died

Man arrested while building barricade on bridge where daughter died

So they can't charge him with destruction of property so will it be construction of property? Unreal! Good for him for doing something about it.

Sorry, not allowed to cut-n-paste.

White County Sheriff's Deputies arrested Shannon Hamilton Sunday afternoon on the bridge where his daughter died one month ago.
    http://nowhabersham.com/man-arrested...re-teens-died/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Shannon Hamilton stood on a White County bridge and watched helplessly as a car was pulled from the cold creek below. Inside, were the bodies of two teenagers, including his 16-year-old daughter.

“I gave her a kiss and told her I loved her,” Shannon Hamilton told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday. “Hugged her freezing body and said goodbye.”

The March wreck that killed Cecily Mcree Hamilton and Taylor Scott Swing, 18, could have been prevented if there had been guardrails or some type of barrier in place on Gene Nix Road, Shannon Hamilton said. And White County government leaders agreed, and have plans to construct some type of barrier along the bridge, the grieving father said.

The county is awaiting an engineering report, which may be ready later this week, before proceeding with plans to construct guardrails, county manager Mike Melton said Monday afternoon. There is no exact timetable for when the construction will begin, Melton said.

A month after Hamilton’s daughter was a passenger in a car that plunged from the bridge and sank, nothing has been done to prevent it from happening again. He said he couldn’t just sit back and wait. On Sunday, he decided to take care of it himself, he said.

“Every day that goes by is another day that we’re risking a life that goes into that creek,” Hamilton said.

Since he works in the quarry business, Hamilton said he decided it was a project he could handle himself. He planned to build a berm, a ledge made out of gravel-type material that could serve as a temporary barrier if cars were driving off the roadway. Hamilton had also planned for ways to route runoff so there were no environmental concerns, he said.

It was supposed to be a temporary fix until the county could build something more permanent, Hamilton said. He brought his own Bobcat to the bridge.

But before he could complete the work, he was arrested by White County deputies. The deputies tried to talk Hamilton out of it, but were under orders to arrest him if he continued, he said. Hamilton was charged with interference with government property as his son and friends watched.

“They had to do it,” Hamilton said. “They had no choice.”

A few hours later, Hamilton said he was released on bond. Then, his phone started ringing. It continued Monday, he said.

Pictures and a video of the father’s arrest, taken by his 18-year-old son, Kale, were shared repeatedly on social media, spreading the story across the country, Hamilton said. Various media outlets also published the story.

Hamilton said Monday he doesn’t condone breaking the law, but has no regrets about attempting to prevent another family from the grief his is enduring.

“My baby girl told my heart to ‘do it, Daddy,’” Hamilton said.

Melton said he understands Hamilton’s intentions, but it’s a project the county must handle.

“He’s upset. And it’s a very sad situation,” Melton said. “My heart goes out to him. But you can’t violate the law and take matters into your own hands like this without facing consequences.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/grievin...ebook_2014_sfp

The cops didn't have a choice? What do they have microchips implanted in their brain stem that forces them to $#@! people over?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Because government's only motivation is it loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this, Suzanimal. I get that with where we are now as a society that you don't want to have people going willy-nilly with their own public works projects but this highlights so much of what is wrong. Policy and procedure is more important than humans, seen in terms of the grieving father and the safety of others that will cross the bridge that has no timetable to deal with the safety issues. No one in office can put 2+2 together and say, we need to find a way to do what is right, instead we get orders to arrest. Sad and pathetic. This whole situation breaks my heart.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

But you can’t violate the law and take matters into your own hands like this without facing consequences.
    It's called self governance, self responsibility, self motivation, individualism in it's proper perspective. If your ox is wonton to gore....shared public ox...
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    they can suck it

Man arrested doing road work at bridge where teens died

Posted by Paul Rea on Sunday, April 12, 2015 · 5 Comments
    White County Sheriff's Deputies take Shannon Hamilton into custody on Gene Nix Road

UPDATED 4/13/15
    See Grieving father praises arresting officers

White County Sheriff’s Deputies arrested Shannon Hamilton Sunday afternoon on the bridge where his daughter died one month ago.

Hamilton says he was attempting to erect safety barricades on Gene Nix Road with materials donated by neighbors in the wake of the fatal accident March 14 that claimed the lives of his daughter, 16-year-old Cecily Hamilton and 18-year-old Taylor Scott Swing.
    Gene Nix Road Bridge memorial

Gravel placed iin preparation for erecting safety barriers next to memorial crosses on the Gene Nix Road Bridge.

White County Commissioners voted to add guardrails at the bridge back on March 30 but family members say the government isn’t acting fast enough “White county wants to take their time in getting this accomplished so my dad did it for them,” explains Cecily’s brother Kale Hamilton.

Kale posted a video of his father’s arrest to facebook and notified Now Habersham in hopes the video will go “viral.” In the video Shannon can be heard saying “It’s sad, it’s sad the community of the grieving parents have to make things happen when the White County Roads Department can’t do it.”

There is no word yet on charges for Shannon Hamilton. Now Habersham contacted the White County Sheriff’s Office for more details, “We don’t have the charges yet.” was all we got at 5:30 PM on Sunday.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    It's called self governance, self responsibility, self motivation, individualism in it's proper perspective. .
    We can't be having individual citizens putting up guardrails at their own expense; I mean somebody has got to get that lucrative public works contract. What, do you want to put people out of business?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The excuse of every enforcer of a tyrannical edict, ever.

But you can’t violate the law and take matters into your own hands like this without facing consequences.
    So, what law was violated, you ask? Well apparently, the authority doesn't know either.

There is no word yet on charges for Shannon Hamilton. Now Habersham contacted the White County Sheriff’s Office for more details, “We don’t have the charges yet.” was all we got at 5:30 PM on Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    So, what law was violated, you ask? Well apparently, the authority doesn't know either.
    And it is at this point that if you refuse being arrested, because they are not charging you with anything, they get you for resisting arrest.

“My baby girl told my heart to ‘do it, Daddy,’” Hamilton said.
    Do it, Daddy! F**k the stupid "law"!

This is the message we all should be hearing in our hearts.

“If the injustice is part of the necessary friction of the machine of government, let it go, let it go: perchance it will wear smooth--certainly the machine will wear out… but if it is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong which I condemn.” - Henry David Thoreau
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    It took 'em awhile but they found something on the books.

Hamilton was charged with interference with government property as his son and friends watched.

Three a day. Without even trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Thanks for posting this, Suzanimal.
    You're welcome.

I get that with where we are now as a society that you don't want to have people going willy-nilly with their own public works projects
    Why not? Seriously, how many people are going to take on a road project unless it's something that's truly dangerous and gobberment hasn't done anything about or an extremely annoying, simple fix that gobberment hasn't taken care of in a timely manner? As far as I'm concerned, this is exactly what we need more of - people willing to stand up and fix problems the gooberment cannot or will not take care of. But they don't want that, they don't want us gettin' too uppity, thinking we can just go around fixing things without their help or consent.

I say with where we are now as a society we need more of this, a lot more.

but this highlights so much of what is wrong.
    Yes, it does.

Policy and procedure is more important than humans
    Always has been, always will be.

seen in terms of the grieving father and the safety of others that will cross the bridge that has no timetable to deal with the safety issues.
    Pfft...they don't care about that man and his dead kid. THEY. DON'T. CARE. And the poor father is so brainwashed, he's actually defending them for arresting him!!! Dollars to doughnuts they're more concerned with who's brother-in-law is going to land the lucrative contract to put up the guard rails. A day or two project that will probably take hundreds of thousands of dollars and years to complete, I might add.

No one in office can put 2+2 together and say, we need to find a way to do what is right, instead we get orders to arrest.
    Well, ya can't have people going around all willy nilly...What else were they going to do? He wouldn't stop working on it and they couldn't let him get away with being openly defiant of their rules. Gotta make an example of him or people might start getting ideas... And if people start getting ideas, they would have roadwork anarchy (or much worse)on their hands and their brother in law might get put out of business. Nope, can't have that, better nip it in the bud.

Why? Because...

Sad and pathetic. This whole situation breaks my heart.
    Agreed. It is sad and pathetic. And it also pisses me off.
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 04-14-2015 at 07:35 AM.

"don't construct safety barriers, the government hates competition."

We know your kid died, and though we plan on doing something about it.... Bureaucracy takes time.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    "don't construct safety barriers, the government hates competition."

We know your kid died, and though we plan on doing something about it.... Bureaucracy takes time.
    If the people realized that government is not needed in every orifice of their lives, the government would begin to lose it's power.

It doesn't just hate competition, it can't survive against competition, that is why they are trying to nip it in the bud.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

Comment by family member, "Shannon Hamilton All I will say is the white county police department were very respectful, did the job they had to do, and helped us in everyway they could. Sincerely, thank you White County Police Department for your services and all that you have done and will continue to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Comment by family member, "Shannon Hamilton All I will say is the white county police department were very respectful, did the job they had to do, and helped us in everyway they could. Sincerely, thank you White County Police Department for your services and all that you have done and will continue to do."
    Boobus will apologize for stepping on the toes of the Officer shoving them into the gas chamber.

"What a nice young man, he's just doing his job."

“He’s upset. And it’s a very sad situation,” Melton said. “My heart goes out to him. But you can’t violate the law and take matters into your own hands like this without facing consequences.
    To hell with your ridiculous laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Damn straight!

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Damn straight!
    “It is more important that innocence be protected than it is that guilt be punished, for guilt and crimes are so frequent in this world that they cannot all be punished.

But if innocence itself is brought to the bar and condemned, perhaps to die, then the citizen will say, 'whether I do good or whether I do evil is immaterial, for innocence itself is no protection,' and if such an idea as that were to take hold in the mind of the citizen that would be the end of security whatsoever.” - John Adams

He should have never been arrested in the first place. I think the sheriff realized his political career could be in jeopardy in the next election.

Sheriff recommends no charges for grieving father arrested at scene of accident

WHITE COUNTY, GA (CBS46) -
    The Sheriff in White County said he will send a letter to the district attorney recommending that a grieving father not be charged after he was arrested at the scene of an accident where his daughter died a month earlier.

Shannon Hamilton was arrested for trying to put guardrails up near a small bridge where his 16-year-old daughter and her friend died in March. They both drowned in a creek after the car they were driving went over a small bridge in the town of Cleveland.

Hamilton said he understands why he was arrested and isn't upset with police. Instead, he says he needed to take it upon himself to do whatever he could to make sure no family loses a loved one as he did weeks earlier.

"When you're a grieving parent, you do want you're got to do," Hamilton said. "Almost 30 days went by, so I took things into my own hands."

Sheriff Neal Walden said that Hamilton's actions broke the law, but added that Hamilton knew he violated the law. Sheriff Walden considers grief and emotions as the reason behind the Hamilton's actions, and said so in his recommendation to District Attorney Jeff Langley.

County officials said they expect new rails to be put up within two weeks.

Read more: http://www.cbs46.com/story/28833724/...#ixzz3Xfk7GKf0

Georgia Interference with Government Property – Laws

There are two actions that could get you charged with the offense of interference with government property. If you destroy, damage, or deface government property you will be charged with a felony and be sentenced to a potential 1 to 5 years in prison.

If you forcibly interfere with or obstruct traffic into or from government property you will be charged with misdemeanor interference with government property and face up to one year in jail.

http://www.criminalpropertydamage.com/georgia/
    I do not see how any of the above conditions apply. The gentleman was not destroying or damaging or defacing government property. Neither apparently was he obstructing traffic. I would say the father has a solid case for malicious prosecution. Some jerk on the City Council was made to look awful because this guy took initiative, so the bureaucracy punished him.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    2010 Georgia Code
    O.C.G.A. 16-7-24 (2010) Interference with government property

(a) A person commits the offense of interference with government property when he destroys, damages, or defaces government property and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years.

(b) A person commits the offense of interference with government property when he forcibly interferes with or obstructs the passage into or from government property and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished as for a misdemeanor.
    http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/...part-1/16-7-24

Straight from the horse's mouth. I do not believe the State has a case.

What about when the government damages my property? Who is going to jail?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What about when the government damages my property? Who is going to jail?
    You do, if you don't shaddup about it, prole.

But before he could complete the work, he was arrested by White County deputies. The deputies tried to talk Hamilton out of it, but were under orders to arrest him if he continued, he said. Hamilton was charged with interference with government property as his son and friends watched.

BULLCRAP! Law enforcement officers have a great deal of discretion regarding arrests. And if they were "under orders" to arrest someone who was committing no clear and obvious crime, they have a DUTY to question such corrupt orders.

The only thing more sickening than the arrest is the fact that the man being arrested has been brainwashed into excusing the indefensible behavior of the so-called authorities.

Hamilton said Monday he doesn’t condone breaking the law...

Is there really and truly such a "law" as "interfering with government property" and if so how is "interfering" defined??? And if such a law actually exists, does it really need to be enforced in this case? Really and truly? No room for discretion?

Again I call bullcrap.

Melton said he understands Hamilton’s intentions, but it’s a project the county must handle.

“He’s upset. And it’s a very sad situation,” Melton said. “My heart goes out to him. But you can’t violate the law and take matters into your own hands like this without facing consequences.”

Sure you can, Melton. It's entirely possible if the law is not really applicable in the situation in question and is only being "enforced" because some pompous stuffed-shirt bureaucrat with a grossly overinflated sense of his own importance has decided he has nothing better to do with his time and the taxpayer's dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    You do, if you don't shaddup about it, prole.
    What's going on with your rep bar Gunny?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    What's going on with your rep bar Gunny?
    he is an activist & strong site supporter
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast