Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Clear Contradictions in the Bible

101 Clear Contradictions in the Bible

101 Clear Contradictions in the Bible

Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?
    (a) God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
    (b) Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)

In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?

(a) Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)
    (b) One million, one hundred thousand (IChronicles 21:5)

How many fighting men were found in Judah?

(a) Five hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)
    (b) Four hundred and seventy thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)

God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?

(a) Seven (2 Samuel 24:13)
    (b) Three (I Chronicles 21:12)

How old was Ahaziah when he began to rule over Jerusalem?

(a) Twenty-two (2 Kings 8:26)
    (b) Forty-two (2 Chronicles 22:2)

How old was Jehoiachin when he became king of Jerusalem?

(a) Eighteen (2 Kings 24:8)
    (b) Eight (2 Chronicles 36:9)

How long did he rule over Jerusalem?

(a) Three months (2 Kings 24:8)
    (b) Three months and ten days (2 Chronicles 36:9)

The chief of the mighty men of David lifted up his spear and killed how many men at one time?

(a) Eight hundred (2 Samuel 23:8)
    (b) Three hundred (I Chronicles 11: 11)

When did David bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem? Before defeating the Philistines or after?

(a) After (2 Samuel 5 and 6)
    (b) Before (I Chronicles 13 and 14)

How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?

(a) Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)
    (b) Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)

When David defeated the King of Zobah, how many horsemen did he capture?

(a) One thousand and seven hundred (2 Samuel 8:4)
    (b) Seven thousand (I Chronicles 18:4)

How many stalls for horses did Solomon have?

(a) Forty thousand (I Kings 4:26)
    (b) Four thousand (2 chronicles 9:25)

In what year of King Asa’s reign did Baasha, King of Israel die?

(a) Twenty-sixth year (I Kings 15:33 – 16:8)
    (b) Still alive in the thirty-sixth year (2 Chronicles 16:1)

How many overseers did Solomon appoint for the work of building the temple?

(a) Three thousand six hundred (2 Chronicles 2:2)
    (b) Three thousand three hundred (I Kings 5:16)

Solomon built a facility containing how many baths?

(a) Two thousand (1 Kings 7:26)
    (b) Over three thousand (2 Chronicles 4:5)

Of the Israelites who were freed from the Babylonian captivity, how many were the children of Pahrath-Moab?

(a) Two thousand eight hundred and twelve (Ezra 2:6)
    (b) Two thousand eight hundred and eighteen (Nehemiah 7:11)

How many were the children of Zattu?

(a) Nine hundred and forty-five (Ezra 2:8)
    (b) Eight hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:13)

How many were the children of Azgad?

(a) One thousand two hundred and twenty-two (Ezra 2:12)
    (b) Two thousand three hundred and twenty-two (Nehemiah 7:17)

How many were the children of Adin?

(a) Four hundred and fifty-four (Ezra 2:15)
    (b) Six hundred and fifty-five (Nehemiah 7:20)

How many were the children of Hashum?

(a) Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:19)
    (b) Three hundred and twenty-eight (Nehemiah 7:22)

How many were the children of Bethel and Ai?

(a) Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:28)
    (b) One hundred and twenty-three (Nehemiah 7:32)

Ezra 2:64 and Nehemiah 7:66 agree that the total number of the whole assembly was 42,360. Yet the numbers do not add up to anything close. The totals obtained from each book is as follows:

(a) 29,818 (Ezra)
    (b) 31,089 (Nehemiah)

How many singers accompanied the assembly?

(a) Two hundred (Ezra 2:65)
    (b) Two hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:67)

What was the name of King Abijah’s mother?

(a) Michaiah, daughter of Uriel of Gibeah (2 Chronicles 13:2)
    (b) Maachah, daughter of Absalom (2 Chronicles 11:20) But Absalom had only one daughter whose name was Tamar (2 Samuel 14:27)

Did Joshua and the Israelites capture Jerusalem?

(a) Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40)
    (b) No (Joshua 15:63)

Who was the father of Joseph, husband of Mary?

(a) Jacob (Matthew 1:16)
    (b) Hell (Luke 3:23)

Jesus descended from which son of David?

(a) Solomon (Matthew 1:6)
    (b) Nathan(Luke3:31)

Who was the father of Shealtiel?

(a) Jechoniah (Matthew 1:12)
    (b) Neri’ (Luke 3:27)

Which son of Zerubbabel was an ancestor of Jesus Christ?

(a) Abiud (Matthew 1: 13)
    (b) Rhesa (Luke 3:27) But the seven sons of Zerubbabel are as follows: i.Meshullam, ii. Hananiah, iii. Hashubah, iv. Ohel, v.Berechiah, vi. Hasadiah, viii. Jushabhesed (I Chronicles 3:19, 20). The names Abiud and Rhesa do not fit in anyway.

Who was the father of Uzziah?

(a) Joram (Matthew 1:8)
    (b) Amaziah (2 Chronicles 26:1)

Who as the father of Jechoniah?

(a) Josiah (Matthew 1:11)
    (b) Jeholakim (I Chronicles 3:16)

How many generations were there from the Babylonian exile until Christ?

(a) Matthew says fourteen (Matthew 1:17)
    (b) But a careful count of the generations reveals only thirteen (see Matthew 1: 12-16)

Who was the father of Shelah?

(a) Cainan (Luke 3:35-36)
    (b) Arphaxad (Genesis II: 12)

Was John the Baptist Elijah who was to come?

(a) Yes (Matthew II: 14, 17:10-13)
    (b) No(John 1:19-21)

Would Jesus inherit David’s throne?

(a) Yes. So said the angel (Luke 1:32)
    (b) No, since he is a descendant of Jehoiakim (see Matthew 1: I 1, I Chronicles 3:16). And Jehoiakim was cursed by God so that none of his descendants can sit upon David’s throne (Jeremiah 36:30)

Jesus rode into Jerusalem on how many animals?

(a) One – a colt (Mark 11:7; cf Luke 19:3 5). “And they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their garments on it; and he sat upon it.”
    (b) Two – a colt and an ass (Matthew 21:7). “They brought the ass and the colt and put their garments on them and he sat thereon.”

How did Simon Peter find out that Jesus was the Christ?

(a) By a revelation from heaven (Matthew 16:17)
    (b) His brother Andrew told him (John 1:41)

Where did Jesus first meet Simon Peter and Andrew?

(a) By the sea of Galilee (Matthew 4:18-22)
    (b) On the banks of river Jordan (John 1:42). After that, Jesus decided to go to Galilee (John 1:43)

When Jesus met Jairus was Jairus’ daughter already dead?

(a) Yes. Matthew 9:18 quotes him as saying, “My daughter has just died.”
    (b) No. Mark 5:23 quotes him as saying, “My little daughter is at the point of death.”

Did Jesus allow his disciples to keep a staff on their journey?

(a) Yes(Mark6:8)
    (b) No (Matthew 10:9; Luke 9:3)

Did Herod think that Jesus was John the Baptist?

(a) Yes (Matthew 14:2; Mark 6:16)
    (b) No (Luke 9:9)

Did John the Baptist recognize Jesus before his baptism?

(a) Yes (Matthew 3:13-14)
    (b) No (John 1:32,33)

Did John the Baptist recognize Jesus after his baptism?

(a) Yes (John 1:32, 33)
    (b) No (Matthew 11:2)
    And this is just some of the very trivial contradictory stuff.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

A More Pointed Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    And this is just some of the very trivial contradictory stuff.
    I don't agree that those are contradictions, given the fact that many of them are cited without a proper exegesis of the Biblical texts. But, nonetheless, I have a question for you, Ronin Truth. Are you an atheist?
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Theocrat View Post
    I don't agree that those are contradictions, given the fact that many of them are cited without a proper exegesis of the Biblical texts. But, nonetheless, I have a question for you, Ronin Truth. Are you an atheist?
    No, I'm not smart enough to be one.

Are you a Pharisee?

Ah, the old "cited without a proper exegesis of the Biblical texts" lame excuse trick, I see.

What about the others?
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 04-12-2015 at 12:39 PM.

The point of numbering the soldiers is that it was a sin to do so. David was told specifically not to do it, yet he did.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    The point of numbering the soldiers is that it was a sin to do so. David was told specifically not to do it, yet he did.
    Interesting point. Thanks!

Why didn't the book get fixed, on that reality?

"Not Smart Enough" To Know What You Are?

No, I'm not smart enough to be one.

Are you a Pharisee?

Ah, the old "cited without a proper exegesis of the Biblical texts" lame excuse trick, I see.

What about the others?
    If you're not an atheist, then what are you?
    "Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Are you looking to debate deities, Theo?

Ending the Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Are you looking to debate deities, Theo?
    No. There is a more foundational issue that needs to be dealt with, first.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    An immortal multi-dimensional entity on a short-term 4D physical trip.

Not really an accurate description, but the best I can do on short notice with these very primitive tools.

If you're not a Pharisee, what are YOU?

No. There is a more foundational issue that needs to be dealt with, first.
    Okay. Thanks. I was just curious. I loathe it when we start debating over deities. Discussion turns ugly when that happens. Every time. Ronin invites an intriguing discussion here by way of what he shared in the op. I'm interested in contradictions in the Bible myself. In fact, it had just came up in another thread the other day and someone tried to briefly explain the phenomenon to me as to why that is but I was still left dumb, I suppose. The way that it was explained to me was that some verses that are often mentioned in contradiction with one another aren't really applicable to anyone at all. It was mentioned that they were part of a covenant that was temporal, not eternal. Of course, that's as far as it went. Was just kind of a brief answer to a question that I had about contradiction in the Bible.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-12-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Let's Take a Journey

An immortal multi-dimensional entity on a short-term 4D physical trip.

Not really an accurate description, but the best I can do on short notice with these very primitive tools.

If you're not a Pharisee, what are YOU?
    Do you believe that there are laws of Logic?

Do you believe that there are laws of Logic?
    Well I believe there is logic. Does that help?

Do you believe there is cognitive dissonance?

What basis do you have to say that there are laws of logic? How do you know they exist?

Is There?

How do you know that Logic exists?

Thanks For the Assist

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    What basis do you have to say that there are laws of logic? How do you know they exist?
    I appreciate your help, Sola, but I got this.

How do you know that Logic exists?
    Is that what I said? I don't think so.

Neither one of us is going to be any too happy with how this conversation turns out if you don't start answering the questions too.

I think you're behind by about 10.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Go for it, I'll watch

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    What basis do you have to deny laws of logic? How do you know they don't exist? Those two will be okay on their own.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-12-2015 at 01:36 PM.

<snicker!>

The Preconditions of Intelligibility

Is that what I said? I don't think so.

Neither one of us is going to be any too happy with how this conversation turns out if you don't start answering the questions too.

I think you're behind by about 10.
    Ronin, you said that you believe there is logic, which means that you believe in an entity known as Logic. All I'm asking (and Sola, too) is how do you know that it exists because if you cannot account for the existence of Logic, then you have no rational right to start a thread about there being "contradictions in the Bible" because contradictions assumes that there are laws of Logic.

To answer your questions (all of which are irrelevant to this thread, by the way), I'm not a Pharisee, but I do believe that there is cognitive dissonance, which is why I've asked you about Logic.

Every single so-called bible contradiction can be answered, for anyone who genuinely cares to know the truth.

Posting a long list of 'contradictions' is a very common tactic by atheists or others who try to disprove the bible, and they do that for obvious reasons.... because it takes time to write out complete and thoughtful replies to each and every one of those. If we had the whole day to spare, we could go through each of those. But usually (not always) the person who posts lists like that does not genuinely want to understand, but they post stuff like this for their own agenda.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

What basis do you have to deny laws of logic? How do you know they don't exist? Those two will be okay on their own.
    I don't think he's denying the laws of logic. They are challenging Ronin on that topic.

I think it's better to ask an atheist that question.... because atheists have no way to account for the laws of logic. But Ronin is not an atheist, so....I'm not sure why they're taking the time to go there with him.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Ronin, you said that you believe there is logic, which means that you believe in an entity known as Logic. All I'm asking (and Sola, too) is how do you know that it exists because if you cannot account for the existence of Logic, then you have no rational right to start a thread about there being "contradictions in the Bible" because contradictions assumes that there are laws of Logic.

To answer your questions (all of which are irrelevant to this thread, by the way), I'm not a Pharisee, but I do believe that there is cognitive dissonance, which is why I've asked you about Logic.
    Well I'm just attempting to account for your disbelief in "some" clear Biblical contradictions (so called).

Cognitive dissonance is my current favorite most likely theoretical explanation.

There is A and there is not A. If you want to call that logic then it's OK with me.

Are you sure you're not a Pharisee?

If so how?

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I'm not sure why they're taking the time to go there with him.
    I do.

Hey, btw, since you popped in here, if you get a chance and have some time, please consider sharing a good once over with regard to my thought in post #10. It doesn't have to be in this thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-12-2015 at 02:11 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do.
    Why?

― Henry David Thoreau

You're Missing the Point

Well I'm just attempting to account for your disbelief in "some" clear Biblical contradictions (so called).

Cognitive dissonance is my current favorite most likely theoretical explanation.

There is A and there is not A. If you want to call that logic then it's OK with me.

If so how?
    You can't call any of them "contradictions" if you don't, first, have an objective and universal basis for there being laws of Logic. After all, what's wrong with "contradictions" if there are no laws of Logic that make contradictions absurd, Ronin?

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post

Originally Posted by Natural Citizen

I do.
    Why?
    Because I've had this debate many, many times.

So, then, I'll likely watch along with S_F, lily.

You can't call any of them "contradictions" if you don't, first, have an objective and universal basis for there being laws of Logic. After all, what's wrong with "contradictions" if there are no laws of Logic that make contradictions absurd, Ronin?
    Wow, you seem to have a whole bunch of made up rules.

Did you happen to get any of them from the atheist pagan Greeks?

Is logic logical? What are the axioms?
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 04-12-2015 at 02:12 PM.

If so how?
    Ronin, I don't see anything to indicate TER is a pharisee. You can easily make that case about Sola_Fide and others who take his approach, but TER, not so much. Can you link to a post or 2 that indicates TER is a pharisee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Wow, you seem to have a whole bunch of made up rules.

Did you happen to get any of them from the atheist pagan Greeks?

Is logic logical? What are the axioms?
    It seems he's pointing out the fallacy fallacy used in your post about contradictions-though he's going about it in a rather roundabout sort of way.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast