Thread: Rand Paul Believes We Must Fix Social Security and Save it For Younger Generations

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-15-2016 at 08:20 AM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-15-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

If he still supports the ability of people to opt-out, then it really doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    The full quote:

Really? No one but me has a problem with this?
    The promise to be kept is with those who depend upon it rather than everyone who has paid into it? That certainly doesn't rule out means testing does it?
    And sure, let's fully fund the shortfall in the pyramid scheme.
    Only part I have a real problem with is "implementing reforms to save the program for younger generations." As an unconstitutional program, we should be looking at ways to transition OUT of it without destroying those currently dependant. I am all for 'fixing' it so far as to meet the obligations of those already dependant who have paid in their whole lives, I am also all for refunding the money paid in by those who are not yet dependant on it and encouraging them to set up their own retirement fund. Neither of which, of course, have any real political will behind them. Any mention that SS may not be a utopia, and octogenarians will be throwing shoes. He could have kept the first bit and left out the "implementing reforms to save the program for younger generations" and I would have been 100% happy with the statement. Pay in 10% your whole life, get to the front of the line and they close up shop. If you are wondering where your next meal is coming from, that's pretty shytty. If I had to guess, I'd guess some 70% of those 60 and over with no retirement funds have none because they bought the promise that the gov will do it for them by taking a little out of every paycheck. You can't just shutter the program without dealing with them, of course.

So the only problem I have with the statement, is the implied goal of keeping it around for another 40 years when it is, in fact, unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Only part I have a real problem with is "implementing reforms to save the program for younger generations." As an unconstitutional program, we should be looking at ways to transition OUT of it without destroying those currently dependant. I am all for 'fixing' it so far as to meet the obligations of those already dependant who have paid in their whole lives, I am also all for refunding the money paid in by those who are not yet dependant on it and encouraging them to set up their own retirement fund. Neither of which, of course, have any real political will behind them. Any mention that SS may not be a utopia, and octogenarians will be throwing shoes. He could have kept the first bit and left out the "implementing reforms to save the program for younger generations" and I would have been 100% happy with the statement. Pay in 10% your whole life, get to the front of the line and they close up shop. If you are wondering where your next meal is coming from, that's pretty shytty. If I had to guess, I'd guess some 70% of those 60 and over with no retirement funds have none because they bought the promise that the gov will do it for them by taking a little out of every paycheck. You can't just shutter the program without dealing with them, of course.

So the only problem I have with the statement, is the implied goal of keeping it around for another 40 years when it is, in fact, unconstitutional.
    I would like to have heard more about the reforms he is thinking of implementing and whether it included an opt out. He could not, of course, say that he wanted to end it because he would lose a hell of a lot of votes from those on it or those that have payed into it and are approaching pay-out.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 04-14-2015 at 06:42 AM.

The full quote:

Really? No one but me has a problem with this?
    The promise to be kept is with those who depend upon it rather than everyone who has paid into it? That certainly doesn't rule out means testing does it?
    And sure, let's fully fund the shortfall in the pyramid scheme.
    My guess is that any talk of "winding down" Social Security--even just for younger people--still scares the electorate receiving SS benefits.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What?! Are you telling me that Rand Paul did NOT sacrifice himself on the third rail for your enjoyment?! How dare he.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

WE? Rand seems to accept that he (part of that WE) made a promise to them. But I certainly hope he's not including me in that WE. Is there anyone else here that considers themselves part of that WE?
    You're overthinking it.

This is not a statement of Rand's ethical principles. He's not saying there's some moral imperative to maintain SS.

This is just public relations - blather - for which you and I are not the target audience.

As for Rand's actual policy position on SS, he'll nibble around the edges: means testing, gradually raising the retirement age, etc.

Obviously he'd like to phase it out altogether, as we all would, but that's politically impossible.

Rand has to be careful about proposing changes to SS and Medicare that can be used against him. This is how Obama-Biden won FL:

^^^He's got to win the primary first.

Just a bit more time with government extortion and involuntary servitude will fix us all right up, eh Rand?

He didn't say what "reforms". Learn to read between the lines people. I'm also for "reforms" that might "save" SS for the younger generation. How about "reforming" it to be completely private and profit driven? Isn't that a "reform" we can all get behind??
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    My guess is that any talk of "winding down" Social Security--even just for younger people--still scares the electorate receiving SS benefits.
    ^This

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    What?! Are you telling me that Rand Paul did NOT sacrifice himself on the third rail for your enjoyment?! How dare he.
    And ^this
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

This is one of those things I just take for granted that I'll have to tolerate.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I’m not a libertarian. I’m not advocating everyone run around with no clothes on and smoke pot.
    Ya, certain people should leave their clothes on...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.