Thread: Rand Paul Believes We Must Fix Social Security and Save it For Younger Generations

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-15-2016 at 08:20 AM.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 05-15-2016 at 08:21 AM.
    The only easy day was yesterday.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Eh whatever

If he still supports the ability of people to opt-out, then it really doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    The full quote:

Really? No one but me has a problem with this?
    The promise to be kept is with those who depend upon it rather than everyone who has paid into it? That certainly doesn't rule out means testing does it?
    And sure, let's fully fund the shortfall in the pyramid scheme.
    Only part I have a real problem with is "implementing reforms to save the program for younger generations." As an unconstitutional program, we should be looking at ways to transition OUT of it without destroying those currently dependant. I am all for 'fixing' it so far as to meet the obligations of those already dependant who have paid in their whole lives, I am also all for refunding the money paid in by those who are not yet dependant on it and encouraging them to set up their own retirement fund. Neither of which, of course, have any real political will behind them. Any mention that SS may not be a utopia, and octogenarians will be throwing shoes. He could have kept the first bit and left out the "implementing reforms to save the program for younger generations" and I would have been 100% happy with the statement. Pay in 10% your whole life, get to the front of the line and they close up shop. If you are wondering where your next meal is coming from, that's pretty shytty. If I had to guess, I'd guess some 70% of those 60 and over with no retirement funds have none because they bought the promise that the gov will do it for them by taking a little out of every paycheck. You can't just shutter the program without dealing with them, of course.

So the only problem I have with the statement, is the implied goal of keeping it around for another 40 years when it is, in fact, unconstitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Only part I have a real problem with is "implementing reforms to save the program for younger generations." As an unconstitutional program, we should be looking at ways to transition OUT of it without destroying those currently dependant. I am all for 'fixing' it so far as to meet the obligations of those already dependant who have paid in their whole lives, I am also all for refunding the money paid in by those who are not yet dependant on it and encouraging them to set up their own retirement fund. Neither of which, of course, have any real political will behind them. Any mention that SS may not be a utopia, and octogenarians will be throwing shoes. He could have kept the first bit and left out the "implementing reforms to save the program for younger generations" and I would have been 100% happy with the statement. Pay in 10% your whole life, get to the front of the line and they close up shop. If you are wondering where your next meal is coming from, that's pretty shytty. If I had to guess, I'd guess some 70% of those 60 and over with no retirement funds have none because they bought the promise that the gov will do it for them by taking a little out of every paycheck. You can't just shutter the program without dealing with them, of course.

So the only problem I have with the statement, is the implied goal of keeping it around for another 40 years when it is, in fact, unconstitutional.
    I would like to have heard more about the reforms he is thinking of implementing and whether it included an opt out. He could not, of course, say that he wanted to end it because he would lose a hell of a lot of votes from those on it or those that have payed into it and are approaching pay-out.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 04-14-2015 at 06:42 AM.
    Theye have refused their Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

Theye have erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

Theye kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies

Theye have combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution,

For protecting them, by a mock Trial from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

For cutting off our Trade with parts of the world:

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

For depriving us in many cases, of the benefit of Trial by Jury:

Theye plundered and destroyed the lives of our people.

Theye are at this time transporting Armies of Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation, and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & Perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy of a civilized nation.

The full quote:

Really? No one but me has a problem with this?
    The promise to be kept is with those who depend upon it rather than everyone who has paid into it? That certainly doesn't rule out means testing does it?
    And sure, let's fully fund the shortfall in the pyramid scheme.
    My guess is that any talk of "winding down" Social Security--even just for younger people--still scares the electorate receiving SS benefits.
    Protest the NSA! Send encrypted e-mails!
    My PGP Key
    PGP Fingerprint: 3A2E 6218 3722 3701 09C9 54CA 9BB3 104C 5049 B6B2

What?! Are you telling me that Rand Paul did NOT sacrifice himself on the third rail for your enjoyment?! How dare he.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

WE? Rand seems to accept that he (part of that WE) made a promise to them. But I certainly hope he's not including me in that WE. Is there anyone else here that considers themselves part of that WE?
    You're overthinking it.

This is not a statement of Rand's ethical principles. He's not saying there's some moral imperative to maintain SS.

This is just public relations - blather - for which you and I are not the target audience.

As for Rand's actual policy position on SS, he'll nibble around the edges: means testing, gradually raising the retirement age, etc.

Obviously he'd like to phase it out altogether, as we all would, but that's politically impossible.
    "The program of liberalism, ...if condensed into a single word, would have to read: property..."

-Ludwig von Mises

"Patriotism, not nationalism, should inspire the citizen. The ethnic nationalist who wants a linguistically and culturally uniform nation is akin to the racist who is intolerant toward those who look (and behave) differently. The patriot is a "diversitarian"; he is pleased, indeed proud of the variety within the borders of his country; he looks for loyalty from all citizens. And he looks up and down, not left and right."

-Erik Maria Ritter von Kuehnelt-Leddihn

"All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

-H. L. Mencken

Rand has to be careful about proposing changes to SS and Medicare that can be used against him. This is how Obama-Biden won FL:

^^^He's got to win the primary first.
    "The program of liberalism, ...if condensed into a single word, would have to read: property..."

-Ludwig von Mises

"Patriotism, not nationalism, should inspire the citizen. The ethnic nationalist who wants a linguistically and culturally uniform nation is akin to the racist who is intolerant toward those who look (and behave) differently. The patriot is a "diversitarian"; he is pleased, indeed proud of the variety within the borders of his country; he looks for loyalty from all citizens. And he looks up and down, not left and right."

-Erik Maria Ritter von Kuehnelt-Leddihn

"All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

-H. L. Mencken

Just a bit more time with government extortion and involuntary servitude will fix us all right up, eh Rand?

He didn't say what "reforms". Learn to read between the lines people. I'm also for "reforms" that might "save" SS for the younger generation. How about "reforming" it to be completely private and profit driven? Isn't that a "reform" we can all get behind??
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    My guess is that any talk of "winding down" Social Security--even just for younger people--still scares the electorate receiving SS benefits.
    ^This

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    What?! Are you telling me that Rand Paul did NOT sacrifice himself on the third rail for your enjoyment?! How dare he.
    And ^this
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

This is one of those things I just take for granted that I'll have to tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I’m not a libertarian. I’m not advocating everyone run around with no clothes on and smoke pot.
    Ya, certain people should leave their clothes on...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.