Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why is Rubio so confident he is giving up his senate seat?

why is Rubio so confident he is giving up his senate seat?

seems very early for that kind of decision

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If he seeks the presidency, the Florida Republican said, “I won’t be able to run for reelect.”
    “If I decide that I want to be president of the United States then that’s what I’m going to run for,” he said at a Washington breakfast hosted by the Christian Science Monitor. “I think if you want to be president, that’s what you want to be and that’s what you run for, what you focus on.”

Florida law prohibits a candidate from appearing on the same ballot for two different offices.
    I don't see him having much of a chance though, maybe he's tired of being a Senator?
    "The Patriarch"

Maybe Jeb as offered him VP.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I don't see him having much of a chance though, maybe he's tired of being a Senator?
    In terms of "would consider voting for" numbers he actually has the best chance out of all R candidates right now...

Rubio has no chance at all, not at the nomination and certainly not against Hillary. He's not serious about winning in 2016 either.
    If he doesn't get on the 2016 ticket as VP, he will run for governor in a few years time to set himself up for a serious attempt at the nomination in either 2020 or 2024.

Edit:
    Atwater has decided not to run for senate, interestingly. So if Rubio drops out in time, he could still run for reelection.
    Last edited by adelina; 04-12-2015 at 04:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rp08orbust View Post
    can't, same state

They want to use this as a negative against Rand.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    Doesn't bother me if it means Rubio no longer has a vote in the Senate. He is dangerous. Permanent Patriot Act and warrantless spying.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thats what this was - this was a shot at Rand. He would be a fool to run. Better that he should posture himself for a VP spot.

Quote Originally Posted by adelina View Post
    Rubio has no chance at all, not at the nomination and certainly not against Hillary. He's not serious about winning in 2016 either.
    But... Billy Kristol loves him! How can he possibly lose?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Edit:
    Atwater has decided not to run for senate, interestingly. So if Rubio drops out in time, he could still run for reelection.
    That's what Rubio is planning. Run until it's clear he's not winning, but get his name out on the national scene. Get reelected to the Senate, then do the full out run in 2020 or 2024.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Edit:
    That's what he's counting on. Make a splash with this run, build his national presence, then make the real run in 2020 0r 2024.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

I think Rubio's chances for the Republican nominations (that is, either president or vice president) are very good, but he's just being realistic. The Republicans will have to campaign for Florida from the get-go with an on-the-ground candidate, no matter who their candidate for Senate is. Besides, it's pretty silly, in my opinion, to run for both the presidency and a Senate seat at the same time.

Because the Fox show guaranteed to Establishment "Tea Party" candidates pays better than the Senate does, and even rivals what senators get in their campaign funds.

Worked for Huckabee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

He's got a great chance at the nomination and a great chance at being VP.

If those two fail, he can run for governor in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post

And, if he loses the first, he won't be picked for VP if he's the GOP's official nominee to hang onto Florida.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's not going to win; he's part of the republicrat "party"; apparently on of his assigned task is to troll Rand for seeking Senate and Presidency.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Maybe he believes that his slogan, "A New American Century" will go a long way towards creating some kind of aura of inevitability around his campaign, while at the same time counting on all of US to lose our cool and run around screaming about PNAC.

I wouldn't take the bait on this.* If he wants to create division, make his campaign punch up - no need for us to punch down.

As a way to get out in front of some of this engineered division, perhaps the Paul campaign could make a public overture to other candidates to do some mutual campaign stops together to focus on issues they 'agree' on - debt, national security, education, taxes, Audit the Fed, etc.
    Last edited by CableNewsJunkie; 04-14-2015 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Because he doesn't want to stay in the Senate. He's running for governor

why is Rubio so confident he is giving up his senate seat?
    Because if his campaign doesn't do well before the filing deadline, he'll just change his mind. He knows that the voting public has a very short attention span and is easily distracted by shiny objects.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

Good theory.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    He's not going to win; he's part of the republicrat "party"; apparently on of his assigned task is to troll Rand for seeking Senate and Presidency.
    Also very good theory.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    can't, same state
    It's true that if Rubio remained an "inhabitant" of Florida when the electoral college meets, each elector from Florida (and only those from Florida) would be unable to vote for both Jeb as president and Rubio as VP. Assuming Jeb has won Florida, the best the Republican electors could do is cast their votes for anyone other than the Democratic VP nominee, effectively removing Florida from the VP contest. It would then be quite possible for Jeb to end up with a Democratic VP. However...

1. After Jeb secures the nomination, there would be plenty of time for Rubio to pull a Dick Cheney and move out of Florida before the electoral college meets.

2. If (1) doesn't work for some reason, then depending on who Hillary has chosen as VP, or maybe regardless of who Hillary has chosen, Jeb just might not give a f--k about who his VP is.
    Last edited by rp08orbust; 04-12-2015 at 05:29 PM.

It's true that if Rubio remained an "inhabitant" of Florida when the electoral college meets, each elector from Florida (and only those from Florida) would be unable to vote for both Jeb as president and Rubio as VP. Assuming Jeb has won Florida, the best the Republican electors could do is cast their votes for anyone other than the Democratic VP nominee, effectively removing Florida from the VP contest.
    Actually, it's not as bad as that. Let's say that Jeb only needs 12 out of 29 electoral votes from Florida to win the presidency. All the electors have to do is agree that 12 will vote for Rubio as VP (and anyone other than Jeb and Hillary for president) and 17 will vote for Jeb as president (and anyone other than Rubio and Hillary's running mate for VP) and both Jeb and Rubio win.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I guess I wasn't aware that Rubio was all that popular. Sometimes, especially in these early days, politicians might just say something really stupid to get themselves booed off. Think Rick Perry and how fast his chances died.

^^^This.

Everything that happens this election cycle is about the establishment versus the anti-establishment. It has nothing to do with D vs. R. They already won that game.

They will use every tool at their disposal to prevent Rand from succeeding. And doesn't Rubio make a fine tool?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

It seems pretty dumb for him to quit his senate seat, knowing that Rand is gonna get the nomination
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post

Yeah, he's a favorite with Hannity and Red State, isn't he? The Cruz thing is just a distraction.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    I guess I wasn't aware that Rubio was all that popular.
    He is probably the most favored establishment candidate after Jeb.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

This thread makes my mouth dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast