Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did the moon come into existence?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Your link: http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/home...quakes_prt.htm

Nothing about it being hollow.
    No. No. No.

You don't go to some specific article and read it. You do a google search and notice how certain words get mentioned at various places online.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    No. No. No.

You don't go to some specific article and read it. You do a google search and notice how certain words get mentioned at various places online.
    Yeah, sort of like what I suspect AI will do in the internet in just a little while and come up with all kinds of new ideas.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    SPACESHIP? MOON?
    So "That's not a moon, that's a space station!" really not that original. The sads.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

"Rings Like A Bell"

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    What's so complicated?
    I wasn't saying that it was complicated or anything. Just that it does actually ring like a bell. The last few orbiters have been crash landed and when doing so, the vibration was measured during the process. It actually "rings" for a long time. It's just interesting to folks, I assume. I've seen all sorts of weird speculation as to why. Some of them are funny.

The moon is actually a really fascinating thing. And much of the neatest stuff never even gets disccussed or mentioned. Likely because people just don't know or aren't interested.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-10-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Speaking of which: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missio...periments/pse/

The Passive Seismic Experiment studied the propagation of seismic waves through the Moon and provided our most detailed look at the Moon's internal structure. The Apollo 11 seismometer returned data for just three weeks but provided a useful first look at lunar seismology. More advanced seismometers were deployed at the Apollo 12, 14, 15, and 16 landing sites and transmitted data to Earth until September 1977. Each of these seismometers measured all three components of ground displacement (up-down, north-south, and east-west).

If a seismic event is observed by three or more seismometers, the time and location of the event can be determined. Because seismic waves from distant events travel deeper into the Moon than waves from nearby events, by measuring events at various distances from the seismometer, one can determine how seismic velocities vary with depth in the Moon. In turn, this information can be used to study the Moon's internal structure. Most of the events observed by the seismometers were due either to moonquakes or to meteoroid impacts. However, the third stages of several Saturn 5 rockets and the ascent stages of several lunar modules were deliberately crashed into the Moon after these spacecraft were no longer needed. These man-made crashes produced seismic events of known times and locations and helped to calibrate the network of seismometers.

The Passive Seismic Experiment produced several important scientific results:

Knowledge of Lunar Interior Structure. Like the Earth, the Moon has a crust, mantle, and core. The lunar crust is rich in the mineral plagioclase and has an average crustal thickness of 60-70 kilometers, which is about 3 times the average crustal thickness on Earth. The lunar mantle lies between the crust and the core and consists mostly of the minerals olivine and pyroxene. The core is probably composed mostly of iron and sulfur and extends from the center of the Moon out to a radius of no more than 450 kilometers; i.e., the core radius is less than 25% of the Moon's radius, which is quite small. In comparison, the Earth's core radius is 54% of the Earth's radius. However, the size of the lunar core is not well constrained by existing seismic observations. Better constraints come from the laser ranging retroreflector and magnetometer experiments.

And about that ringing- more to do with dryness and solid rock than being hollow: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...ar_moonquakes/

There are at least four different kinds of moonquakes: (1) deep moonquakes about 700 km below the surface, probably caused by tides; (2) vibrations from the impact of meteorites; (3) thermal quakes caused by the expansion of the frigid crust when first illuminated by the morning sun after two weeks of deep-freeze lunar night; and (4) shallow moonquakes only 20 or 30 kilometers below the surface.

The first three were generally mild and harmless. Shallow moonquakes on the other hand were doozies. Between 1972 and 1977, the Apollo seismic network saw twenty-eight of them; a few "registered up to 5.5 on the Richter scale," says Neal. A magnitude 5 quake on Earth is energetic enough to move heavy furniture and crack plaster.

Furthermore, shallow moonquakes lasted a remarkably long time. Once they got going, all continued more than 10 minutes. "The moon was ringing like a bell," Neal says.

On Earth, vibrations from quakes usually die away in only half a minute. The reason has to do with chemical weathering, Neal explains: "Water weakens stone, expanding the structure of different minerals. When energy propagates across such a compressible structure, it acts like a foam sponge—it deadens the vibrations." Even the biggest earthquakes stop shaking in less than 2 minutes.

The moon, however, is dry, cool and mostly rigid, like a chunk of stone or iron. So moonquakes set it vibrating like a tuning fork. Even if a moonquake isn't intense, "it just keeps going and going," Neal says
    . And for a lunar habitat, that persistence could be more significant than a moonquake's magnitude.

North of San Antonio I have heard rocks make noise , the Superstitions and in New Mexico.Probably other places , in Siberia , I have heard the tree bark explode and burst in winter....

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Well,, from wiki (for what it's worth)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Moon

and a nifty video

On the other hand,,

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Needs more moonbell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Did you totally skip right past the OP?

He proved it right there.
    Well, at least you saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Your link: http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/home...quakes_prt.htm

Nothing about it being hollow.

That link is about quakes not hollow. (Obviously, it just takes rocket science for some.)

Okay--the moon is not hollow. God put that there to give us a night light because He told us He'd never leave us in darkness. Think of it as a great big lamp in the sky.

Maybe there are moon worms that eat the interior
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Okay--the moon is not hollow. God put that there to give us a night light because He told us He'd never leave us in darkness. Think of it as a great big lamp in the sky.
    Acting more like a mirror than like a lamp, since it only reflects sunlight, and doesn't produce any light of its own.

Science theorizes hollow from the evidence, more research and investigation necessary to confirm or disprove.

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Maybe there are moon worms that eat the interior
    And poop time travel spice, right?

Acting more like a mirror than like a lamp, since it only reflects sunlight, and doesn't produce any light of its own.
    Well. Hm. There is that one bulb that flickers once in a while...

That last one was taken with a 10'' telescope scope near London on December 17th, 2005. Its a good shot...
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-11-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Well. Hm. There is that one bulb that flickers once in a while...

That last one was taken with a 10'' telescope scope near London on December 17th, 2005. Its a good shot...
    Well that could be another thread. Go ahead and fire it up.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dr. Who already covered this. The moon is an egg for a Space Dragon.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx
    My civil neighbor, the tax-gatherer, is the very man I have to deal with--for it is, after all, with men and not with parchment that I quarrel--and he has voluntarily chosen to be an agent of the government.-Henry David Thoreau

Mod note: The original title of: "If the Moon is hollow and rings like a bell, how did nature create that?" was changed as it implies a truth that is not proven.
    Please leave my thread titles the HELL alone. Especially when you don't know what the HELL you are talking about. Which is almost all of the time.

Mod note: The original title of: "If the Moon is hollow and rings like a bell, how did nature create that?" was changed as it implies a truth that is not proven.
    The title implies nothing. It asks a question.

The title of this thread did not state that the moon is hollow, it states "If the Moon is hollow", in other words, if that is true then how did nature create it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    The title implies nothing. It asks a question.

The title of this thread did not state that the moon is hollow, it states "If the Moon is hollow", in other words, if that is true then how did nature create it?
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

..... ??? Mods need to get a real job or something.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    ..... ??? Mods need to get a real job or something.
    Or at least take a course in logic.

Astronomers and scientists are taking a new look at how the Earth’s moon was formed. A new study suggests that the Earth’s satellite formed after a significant planetary collision with a Mars-like protoplanet, when the Earth was in its infancy.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But this thread isn't asking how the moon came into existence.
    If the moon isn't hollow, then the rest of the thread becomes moot.

If the moon isn't hollow, then the rest of the thread becomes moot.
    Well there is still rings like a bell, to be resolved.

I don't know, man. The thread title specifically says "How did the moon come into existence?" Whatsamatter wit you, Doc?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I don't know, man. The thread title specifically says "How did the moon come into existence?" Whatsamatter wit you, Doc?
    I'm fine. It's the mods who seem to have the problems. Ask them. I bear no responsibilility for them butchering the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast