Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand and the Torch? WTF?

Rand and the Torch? WTF?

The "Store" on Randpaul.com is full of gear with nothing but the word "Rand" and a flaming torch.

No last name, no mention of President, no mention of 2016.

Am I the only one that thinks that when the average CLUELESS American citizen sees "Rand" and a torch on a Tshirt he is not going to have the first clue as to what the Hell you are advertising?

Looks more like you are endorsing the Olympic hopes of someone or some organization called "Rand." Golly Gee, I sure hope Rand makes the team and brings back the Gold for the USA!

How about something simple, that people can understand like, I don't know, maybe "RAND PAUL FOR PRESIDENT 2016?" A little less "branding" and a little more substance, perhaps?

With or without the torch- can anyone tell me what the torch symbolizes?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hillary and Jeb are doing the same thing. You won't see the Clinton or Bush name in their signs either.
    Rand Paul for Peace

It probably symbolizes liberty or something like that.

I'm actually weirded out because we are going to have 2 "first names" as top candidates. Hillary and Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by libertariantexas View Post
    Liberty I'd assume

I'm not a fan of the design. Maybe it will grow on me, I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by LatinsforPaul View Post
    Hillary and Jeb are doing the same thing. You won't see the Clinton or Bush name in their signs either.
    Everyone knows who Hillary is, she's been a national figure for more than 20 years. The Bush's have been a political dynasty for generations.

Rand is a first term senator from a small state. He does NOT have that kind of name recognition.

If he wants some "stylistic" gear, fine, but he should also have some that gives a CLEAR message to the many who don't know who "Rand" is.

BTW, when I was looking up the meaning of the torch (apparently there is none?), I came across this article panning the logo:

http://www.businessinsider.com/desig...n-logos-2015-4

I can't say that I disagree with the article.

Like the author, when I first saw "Rand" and nothing more, I thought about these guys (who I'm quite sure Rand does not want to advertise for):

http://www.rand.org/
    http://www.rand.org/about.html

It's better imagery for the "brand". Also, it's probably good for legal / practical reasons as well. We have RAND PAC, Rand Paul for Senate, and Rand Paul for President. All of them can be represented by this one logo.

From wiki:

The torch is a common emblem of both enlightenment and hope. Thus the Statue of Liberty, actually "Liberty Enlightening the World", lifts her torch. Crossed reversed torches were signs of mourning that appear on Greek and Roman funerary monuments—a torch pointed downwards symbolizes death, while a torch held up symbolizes life, truth and the regenerative power of flame. The torch is also a symbol used by political parties, for instance by both Labour (from 1918 to 1980) and the Conservatives (from 1983 to 2006) in the UK, and the Malta Labour Party. In the seals of schools in the Philippines, the torch symbolizes the vision of education to provide enlightenment to all the students.
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just one more pic as proof that it is supposed to symbolize liberty:

I won't even get into some of the other ridiculous gear (the small percent that is not "RAND and a torch").

Does a Tshirt that says nothing but "Don't Drone Me, Bro" (and nothing else) really help Rand Paul get elected?

On the entire site, I found only 2 items that say "Rand Paul" on them- a baseball shirt that says "Rand Paul" and nothing else, and an "Eye chart" which was the ONLY thing that actually said "Rand Paul for President."

N

The torch symbolizes Ron passing the torch to his son.

I won't even get into some of the other ridiculous gear (the small percent that is not "RAND and a torch").

Does a Tshirt that says nothing but "Don't Drone Me, Bro" (and nothing else) really help Rand Paul get elected?

On the entire site, I found only 2 items that say "Rand Paul" on them- a baseball shirt that says "Rand Paul" and nothing else, and an "Eye chart" which was the ONLY thing that actually said "Rand Paul for President."

N
    A lot of the items are primarily for raising money. Obviously eye doctors aren't going to use the eye chart. Also, the single-name logo makes him look more mainstream, as if voters already know his name and who he is (which will hopefully be true by next year).

The "Store" on Randpaul.com is full of gear with nothing but the word "Rand" and a flaming torch.

No last name, no mention of President, no mention of 2016.

Am I the only one that thinks that when the average CLUELESS American citizen sees "Rand" and a torch on a Tshirt he is not going to have the first clue as to what the Hell you are advertising?

Looks more like you are endorsing the Olympic hopes of someone or some organization called "Rand." Golly Gee, I sure hope Rand makes the team and brings back the Gold for the USA!

How about something simple, that people can understand like, I don't know, maybe "RAND PAUL FOR PRESIDENT 2016?" A little less "branding" and a little more substance, perhaps?

In 2007/2008 did anybody have any doubt what this meant?

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

As far as political logos go, this one works. I have no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyplz View Post
    Just one more pic as proof that it is supposed to symbolize liberty:

Okay, maybe it does.

But do you really think that Joe Six Pack or Josephine Soccer Mom who sees me wearing a shirt at the Grocery store with "Rand" and a torch is going to make that connection?

I sure as Hell don't.

Not sure if I should wait until the web site gets something decent, or go to a supplier outside of the campaign, but I'm not going to waste money on a campaign sure that is vague as Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenliad View Post
    The torch symbolizes Ron passing the torch to his son.
    I thought it symbolized his read hair.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All of our local libertarian leaning republicans use the torch in some manner.

Would you rather he use the standard elephant?
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Okay, maybe it does.

But do you really think that Joe Six Pack or Josephine Soccer Mom who sees me wearing a shirt at the Grocery store with "Rand" and a torch is going to make that connection?

I sure as Hell don't.

Not sure if I should wait until the web site gets something decent, or go to a supplier outside of the campaign, but I'm not going to waste money on a campaign sure that is vague as Hell.
    Not sure, hard to tell since I've become more politically involved the last few years. When I see a torch as a part of branding though the first thing that comes to mind is "liberty". If you don't like the stuff on the store I recommend sending them suggestions, from what I've heard they have been very receptive to feedback. They didn't have buttons at first but after some asked for it they added them

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

Yeah, he had the "symbol." But the symbol came with "Obama 2012" and/or Obama's picture and 2012. The shirts and signs also always had BARACKOBAMA.COM on them. It was pretty obvious that the symbol was connected to Obama's Presidential campaign.

He didn't have shirts that had nothing but the symbol and "Bar" under them. No web site, no last name, no date, no office being run for.

I don't get how someone has never heard of a torch before. Have you ever seen the Olympics? Have you seen the Statue of Liberty? Probably like a third of political logos have a torch in it too.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyplz View Post
    Not sure, hard to tell since I've become more politically involved the last few years. When I see a torch as a part of branding though the first thing that comes to mind is "liberty". If you don't like the stuff on the store I recommend sending them suggestions, from what I've heard they have been very receptive to feedback. They didn't have buttons at first but after some asked for it they added them
    I'm sure someone will take the initiative to make some decent gear, just like in 2007 when the Ron Paul campaign started out clueless and had effectively nothing available. We ended up going to local printers to make our own "Ron Paul 2008" signs.

So I'll just wait for that, I guess.

Too bad my money will be going to some individual rather than the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I don't get how someone has never heard of a torch before. Have you ever seen the Olympics? Have you seen the Statue of Liberty? Probably like a third of political logos have a torch in it too.
    Like I said, it looks like the shirts are advertising someone's Olympic dreams, not a Presidential campaign.

The torch is fine, if there is something with it to CLEARLY indicate that the sign is for RAND PAUL FOR PRESIDENT, not Rand Corporation, or the Ayn Rand Institute, or the Olympics, or whatever.

Like I said, it looks like the shirts are advertising someone's Olympic dreams, not a Presidential campaign.

The torch is fine, if there is something with it to CLEARLY indicate that the sign is for RAND PAUL FOR PRESIDENT, not Rand Corporation, or the Ayn Rand Institute, or the Olympics, or whatever.
    Oh well in that case, like I said above, the idea is that everyone will know who Rand is by the time they vote and will know that these signs are for him. It's not something Ron Paul could have ever done due to the media blackout against him. But I think Jeb and Hillary will probably be doing the same thing as someone else mentioned. It's cleaner cut and looks more mainstream.

You could also argue that it is fiscally responsible. WHEN he wins in 2016, the same stuff will be good for 2020 if there are no dates on there. hehe
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure someone will take the initiative to make some decent gear, just like in 2007 when the Ron Paul campaign started out clueless and had effectively nothing available. We ended up going to local printers to make our own "Ron Paul 2008" signs.

So I'll just wait for that, I guess.

Too bad my money will be going to some individual rather than the campaign.
    There are some nice looking Rand stickers, signs and stuff on Ebay, Zazzle, Cafepress and places like that.
    Last edited by William Tell; 04-10-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    There are some nice looking Rand stickers sings and stuff on Ebay, Zazzle, Cafepress and places like that.
    Yup, I was just looking, and there are tons of GOOD designs out there at Cafepress and others.

I guess my mistake was in thinking the campaign would have it's stuff together.

Plenty of good (and bad, but at least you have a choice) gear here:

http://www.cafepress.com/+rand-paul+t-shirts?page=2

Until it gets here, I guess I'm going to have to tape "Rand" over "Ron" on my old 2012 gear.

Maybe he doesnt want people to get confused and think he is ron paul by having the last name.

I was looking for something to plop on my car, truck, work truck, wife's car, , boat, and lawnmower... I'd personally like at least a Rand 2016 or something. Some people have no idea what a Rand is, I'd like to at least plant the idea that he is someone to vote for in election year.

I thought the same thing as the OP.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

I knew exactly what it meant...... DOOM!!!

Why the quote resized it.... dunno
    Last edited by sam1952; 04-09-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast