Thread: Limited government? Four Republicans keep Alabama in state-run retail liquor business

Limited government? Four Republicans keep Alabama in state-run retail liquor business

Still Waiting
    Laurence M. Vance

This is what happens to people who hold their nose and vote Republican.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/page/5/

Limited government? Four Republicans keep Alabama in state-run retail liquor business

You'd expect it from Democrats in the Alabama Senate - they've never met a state-run operation they did not want to preserve.

But Republicans in the Alabama Senate? Last time I checked, Republicans campaigned on a platform of limited, efficient, right-sized government.

Yet it was Clyde Chambliss, Steve Livingston, Jabo Waggoner and Cam Ward who joined the Democrats and voted to keep Alabama in the retail liquor business. The bipartisan big-government alliance gave SB115 an unfavorable report by a vote of 6-7 in the Senate Finance & Taxation General Fund Committee. Republican Senators Arthur Orr, Bill Holtzclaw, Tim Melson, Trip Pittman, Paul Sanford and Larry Stutts supported the legislation.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Board pulled out all the stops to keep the state-run liquor stores under their control. They made every argument from the bill causing drunks to roam the streets to the high "cost" of eliminating around 600 state jobs.

That's right. The ABC wanted legislators to think that reducing the number of state employees would cost money. Sure ... if you simply ignore the massive savings that result from not having to pay salary and benefits to that many employees in the coming years.

More importantly, Alabama already has three times as many private retail stores as state-run stores. If we were going to see the massive negative social impacts of privatization, we would already be experiencing them.

We are not.

The legislation considered in the Senate simply closed the state-run retail stores and, as a result, ended the leases for the ABC retail stores.

Ah, wait a minute. Those leases.

A taxpayer-funded lease with the state of Alabama sounds like a pretty stable financial gig if you can get it. I wonder if any of those property owners had any influence on keeping the Alabama right in the middle of the liquor business?

Cronyism in Alabama politics? Nah, no way.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/...l#incart_river

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

butt, butt... we are a Democracy!

why would anyone be a REPUBLICan?
    China is a REPUBLIC.

republic=bad. democracy=good.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

In some twisted view, they probably think of this as a move that supports business thus is conservative.

I'm not sure, I'm just trying to rationalize the stupidity in my head and I think it's making me stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.