Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Video] Rand Paul on The Today Show w/ Savannah Guthrie 4/8/15

Quote Originally Posted by pacodever View Post
    This wasn't a question. It was an impeachment. She was trying to get him to squirm and get defensive. I think it would be an improvement if he calmly and patiently let her finish. No skin off his back to do that and THEN calmly pointing out that she asked him 4 questions at once on complex issues (Iran, foreign aid to Israel, cutting defense spending, have you mellowed out) and that she was editorializing. This makes her look unreasonable. But he did do a good job re-framing and answering each point, and on the rest of the interview... Too bad no one will see anything other than those 20 seconds.
    Agreed. Interrupting is contentious and bad manners (if nothing else). He should let her finish, then he can give his answer. If she interrupts him (like she did with "let's take that off the table"), then he can break in and jump her $#@!.

Give them enough rope to hang themselves.

They are not going to change their ways because they're afraid of getting shushed. They are paid to do that $#@!.
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 04-08-2015 at 02:05 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand has to be more careful (and patient). The liberal media are setting up these types of situations to make him look bad, especially when the Democrat nominee is inevitably going to be a woman. Stop falling into their trap!

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by adelina View Post
    Rand has to be more careful (and patient). The liberal media are setting up these types of situations to make him look bad, especially when the Democrat nominee is inevitably going to be a woman. Stop falling into their trap!
    They are trying to pigeon hole him in different categories in different audiences; so rand you've seemed to have changed your views on the sun, the moon, and the stars so why do you think reaching out to minorities will help in the general election. You see if he takes the time to answer any one of those questions in more then a sound byte that they can later use against him they switch the subject to Iran or something so the listener is still under the assumption that rand has changed his positions.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    I am glad he had the brass balls to put that yap in her place and not get lawnmowered like his dad used to ...
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

You know, it's about time that someone stepped up and refused to allow these talking heads to dictate the terms of controversy from their little pieces of paper. She absolutely editorialized in a way that was designed to avoid actually asking him his view while insinuating that he is unorthadox. Perhaps, one of these days, Paul will consider accepting interviews from platforms where the critical issues of the day may be discussed and questions asked like adults and in an environment where he's free to answer (real questions) thoroughly and uninterrupted.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-08-2015 at 03:26 PM.

can't make this sh*t up

pretty good interview overall tho...

Wolf agrees face to face interviews are better

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I like it when Randal calls them out on it.
    I believe that will be a huge strength that Rand possesses over his father, and I wish Ron had done more of that. Rand will shut you down the moment you try to twist his argument or answer his questions for him before he has a chance to reply. Ron was always more 'gentlemanly' about his interviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

good for rand here. he didnt let the media screw with him on answers or put words in his mouth. the debates are going to be GOLDEN !!

Quote Originally Posted by randpaul2016 View Post
    can't make this sh*t up

pretty good interview overall tho...

Wolf agrees face to face interviews are better
    If they had put a MAN in front of him asking the same question, he would have been as adamant and direct.

It's not his fault that then MSM has morphed the Television media into a Beauty pageant with these lightweight "Star Search Spokes Models" giving us the Nooze. And then the men are all streamlined "Ken Dolls".

Stupid leftwing feminists. They want to be treated equal then get butt hurt and cry "don't hurt the little girl" when a guy tells them where to go.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

He should of gone full Alex Jones on that hack Guthrie

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    If they had put a MAN in front of him asking the same question, he would have been as adamant and direct.
    And that is exactly how he should reply/address it when the spinmeisters try to make a bid deal out of it. Lack of a Y chromosome is no excuse for loutish behavior.

Rand Paul Says His Temper Doesn't Discriminate Based On Gender

by Igor Bobic
    04/08/2015 6:06 pm EDT

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is an equal-opportunity hater of journalists, regardless of whether they're men or women.

"I think I've been universally short-tempered with both male and female reporters. I'll own up to that," he said Wednesday in an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "I'll have to get better at holding my tongue and holding my temper. But I think it's pretty equal-opportunity."

The Kentucky Republican, who is running for president, got heated with NBC's Savannah Guthrie earlier in the day after the "Today" show anchor prefaced her question by noting the senator's shifting views on Israel, Iran and the defense budget. "No, no, no, no, no, listen, you're editorializing," he told Guthrie.

read more:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7028822.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    He either takes a harder line on Iran like he's currently doing, or he has no chance at all to win the GOP nomination. That's the sad state of the Republican Party right now. I still don't believe that Rand would push for war with Iran if he were President.
    I guess

I thought this was a terrific response by Rand (in the Wolf interview) to the question about the female interviwers. Good, comfortable body language too. Rand is a quick study. Thumbs up.
    Last edited by grizzums; 04-08-2015 at 04:56 PM.

I think Rand wasn't expecting such a ball buster routine from Savannah Guthrie on the Today Show and had come into the interview with his guard down a bit and then was taken aback. It should be a good lesson going forward, the media is not going to go easy on him and he needs to be on guard at all times.

I also think he could do a better job explaining the sanctions and the defense budget increase. I understand the parliamentary tricks he's pulling off and I understand the stances he is taking. However the media will spin it as, and the common voter will interpret it as, "Rand Paul flip flops! He is now for war with Iran and for increasing the Defense budget."
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt1225 View Post
    the common voter will interpret it as, "Rand Paul flip flops! He is now for war with Iran and for increasing the Defense budget."
    That's what they think, but we know that the common voter is going to see the neo cons ads that say he sides with Obama and doesn't want war at all costs. The average voter will Google Rand Paul flip flops and find flip flops for sale on his website LOL!

Come on, Rand, really? The way he handled this interview was an unforced error - apparently he didn't really learn his lesson from the "shush" last time which he has already said he would do differently. I don't care if he was right or wrong, it's not presidential to lecture someone like that. I can understand a little bit if she had just kept going on and on without ever giving him a chance to respond, but she really hadn't gone on for very long at all before Rand interrupted. You can't expect every interviewer to be unbiased.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

I don't think it's off the radar to say you were helping someone run for office. If you act as a surrogate on a campaign, for example, you may be characterizing someone else's position and using the campaign talking points to explain that position as the context of the discussion, which means its inherently knowable that every argument you're making when characterizing someone else's position may not actually be your own opinion.

I represented Ron Paul as a surrogate at local GOP debates in our state as no presidential candidates came to our state, and as a surrogate advocate for a campaign at a GOP event, I was cornered into a particular set of arguments and had to defend those positions colloquially in a way where if someone videotaped me and chopped some things I was saying out of context, it could seem like I was advocating my own position when really I was using an argument to explain Ron Paul's.

He was right to call her out for editorializing. Why invite someone to be your guest then waste their time being interviewed just drawing opinion conclusions and insulting him with them?
    Last edited by BarryDonegan; 04-08-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
    I am an investigative journalist for Ben Swann's Truth in Media
    Check out my liberty-friendly experimental rock/punk/metal band Look What I Did

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've noticed that they're trying to push the narrative that Rand has flip flopped on a lot of issues.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt1225 View Post
    I think Rand wasn't expecting such a ball buster routine from Savannah Guthrie on the Today Show and had come into the interview with his guard down a bit and then was taken aback. It should be a good lesson going forward, the media is not going to go easy on him and he needs to be on guard at all times.

I also think he could do a better job explaining the sanctions and the defense budget increase. I understand the parliamentary tricks he's pulling off and I understand the stances he is taking. However the media will spin it as, and the common voter will interpret it as, "Rand Paul flip flops! He is now for war with Iran and for increasing the Defense budget."

Yes. He was probably expecting a softball interview like all the other ones on that show. I love when Rand gets contentious. These libtards can go fly a kite.

Drudge has Rand on the front page main banner

The conservative commenters are gushing over it so I see this as a total win for Rand.

RAND SLAMS MEDIA; PRESS TURNS TOUGH AFTER OBAMA SLUMBER

Rand's gotta do better. People are going to be dicks to him. He can't interrupt them and talk over them. He's got to laugh them off, point out their editorializing, and then answer whatever question he wants, however he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by pacodever View Post
    This wasn't a question. It was an impeachment. She was trying to get him to squirm and get defensive. I think it would be an improvement if he calmly and patiently let her finish. No skin off his back to do that and THEN calmly pointing out that she asked him 4 questions at once on complex issues (Iran, foreign aid to Israel, cutting defense spending, have you mellowed out) and that she was editorializing. This makes her look unreasonable.
    thats what I want to see him work on.

"Excuse me, what was the first question you asked again? I want to make sure I respond to it, but 4 questions in a row, I dont want to misrepresent the question"...that puts it ALL back on her.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryDonegan View Post
    I don't think it's off the radar to say you were helping someone run for office. If you act as a surrogate on a campaign, for example, you may be characterizing someone else's position and using the campaign talking points to explain that position as the context of the discussion, which means its inherently knowable that every argument you're making when characterizing someone else's position may not actually be your own opinion.

I represented Ron Paul as a surrogate at local GOP debates in our state as no presidential candidates came to our state, and as a surrogate advocate for a campaign at a GOP event, I was cornered into a particular set of arguments and had to defend those positions colloquially in a way where if someone videotaped me and chopped some things I was saying out of context, it could seem like I was advocating my own position when really I was using an argument to explain Ron Paul's.
    B-INGO

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoose View Post
    I've noticed that they're trying to push the narrative that Rand has flip flopped on a lot of issues.
    Because he has.

And he came across rather douchy in the interview.

The fact is, he has flip flopped on a number of issues. He didn't answer any of her questions directly like Ron would have because he's not as principled. Expect more of this.
    Last edited by mac_hine; 04-08-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Anyone who watched these interviews knows that this is complete spin, and outright lies.

The media would rather have you scream and babble with the interviewer for ten minutes, making yourself look like an idiot. And if you calmly call them out on it, and tell them you don't want to do that, you're labeled as rude and impatient.

An Empire of Lies...
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post
    Anyone who watched these interviews knows that this is complete spin, and outright lies.

The media would rather have you scream and babble with the interviewer for ten minutes, making yourself look like an idiot. And if you calmly call them out on it, and tell them you don't want to do that, you're labeled as rude and impatient.

An Empire of Lies...
    No, she actually made a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_hine View Post
    No, she actually made a good point.
    Have you watched his interviews? It is perfectly reasonable to request someone to stop screaming over you. To engage in their tactics is to be uncivil, not the other way around.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

I watched the interview. She spoke over him in the beginning, which was wrong. Then she called him out on flip flopping, and rightly so, and he proceeded to be an $#@!.

He was the overall loser in this interview.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoose View Post
    Then he should fill Flip Romney's shoes just fine...
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast