Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North Charleston Police Officer Arrested on Murder Charge For Shooting Fleeing Man in the Back

North Charleston Police Officer Arrested on Murder Charge For Shooting Fleeing Man in the Back

A busybody was videoing, so can't use the old "he was reaching for my gun" excuse this time.

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC16/150409468

North Charleston officer faces murder charge after video shows him shooting man in back
    Andrew Knapp

Apr 7 2015 4:19 pm Apr 7 6:12 pm

A North Charleston police officer was arrested on a murder charge Tuesday after video surfaced of the lawman shooting eight times at 50-year-old Walter Scott as he ran away.

Scott died Saturday after Patrolman 1st Class Michael Slager, 33, shot him in the back.

The State Law Enforcement Division, which looked into whether the shooting was justified, confirmed that the officer had been booked into Charleston County’s jail late Tuesday afternoon on a murder charge.

Mayor Keith Summey said during a news conference that Slager’s “bad decision” had prompted his arrest.

“When you’re wrong, you’re wrong,” Summey said. “When you make a bad decision, don’t care if you’re behind the shield or a citizen on the street, you have to live with that decision.”

The footage, which The Post and Courier obtained Tuesday from a source who asked to remain anonymous, shows the end of the confrontation between the two on Saturday after the officer said Scott, who had a warrant out for his arrest, ran from a traffic stop. It was the first piece of evidence that could contradict a statement that Slager released to the public through his attorney.

snip

Scott starts running away. Wires, presumably from Slager’s Taser, stretch from Scott to the officer’s hands.

After the gunfire, Slager glances at the person taking the video, then talks into his radio.

The cameraman curses, and Slager yells at Scott as sirens wail.

“Put your hands behind your back,” the officer shouts before he handcuffs Scott as another lawman runs to the scene.

Scott died there.

snip

He had a history of arrests related to contempt of court charges for failing to pay child support. The only accusation of violence against Scott during his lifetime came through a 1987 assault and battery charge, but the disposition of that charge was not immediately known.
    Last edited by SeanTX; 04-07-2015 at 04:36 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Video here.

That piece of $#@! even appears to drop his taser next to the body after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    Video here.

That piece of $#@! even appears to drop his taser next to the body after the fact.
    Don't know if it's true, but read elsewhere that the cop was claiming at the time that the man had taken his taser.

Hero. Exemplary public service. Plead 2 yrs. for manslaughter. Next.....

The footage, which The Post and Courier obtained Tuesday from a source who asked to remain anonymous,
    smart
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Last edited by green73; 04-08-2015 at 08:37 AM. Reason: NBC blocked the first version on a copyright claim. What absolute fucktards.

What state was this in?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Well, at least this sort of stuff doesn't happen everyday.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Hero. Exemplary public service. Plead 2 yrs. for manslaughter. Next.....
    Two years: suspended.

Next!

“When you’re wrong, you’re wrong,” Summey said. “When you make a bad decision, don’t care if you’re behind the shield or a citizen on the street, you have to live with that decision.”
    Ah HAH hah hah hah...that's funny, right there.

Ah HAH hah hah hah...that's funny, right there.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    What state was this in?
    South Carolina

Why cannot they at least make a honest attempt at applying so much as even a hint of common sense? Is somebody running away from a child support warrant (for example) more likely attempting to escalate the situation to murder or is it much more likely that they simply want to evade capture?

...And for that matter is a jaywalking cigarette theft really going to attempt to disarm a cop to shoot them after beating the crap out of them, but not so much as to leave any evidence of said beating? Highly doubtful.

I don’t even understand why there are warrants for this still, either they person can afford to pay or they cannot; if they can just issue automatic wage garnishments on their employer or whatever streams of income, or otherwise lien their bank accounts and properties and then leave them be.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

watch out in SC you might get the death sentence for a broken taillight

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    What state was this in?
    this State, comrade, didn't you read your code book.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Slager’s “bad decision” had prompted his arrest.
    They use that same phrase when they arrest gangbangers for murder, right?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    watch out in SC you might get the death sentence for a broken taillight
    Every single law, no matter how minor or trivial, carries with it the remote possibility of a death sentence. It all depends on how the encounter goes when you are caught by the Enforcers.

Hmmmmm, a gent who spawns endless offspring and then dumps them on the taxpayer is truthfully not that great a loss to the Community. This was a fully legit arrest. The gent had no excuse to run and the cop had a duty to stop him. The gent is a very poor 'vic' to rally around.

another day, another coward is exposed.

i don't think the perp knew he was about to get shot in the back...last words....''oh $#@!..i'm dead''....as he falls to ground making our hero happy.

RIP....
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 04-08-2015 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paleocon1 View Post
    Hmmmmm, a gent who spawns endless offspring and then dumps them on the taxpayer is truthfully not that great a loss to the Community. This was a fully legit arrest. The gent had no excuse to run and the cop had a duty to stop him. The gent is a very poor 'vic' to rally around.

really a $#@!ed up statement....

noted.

TOS won't let me flame a POS...
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 04-08-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Heard this on the news this morning, and I was honestly surprised at the talk coming out of the mayor's office.
    The cop is getting charged with murder. That was stated unequivocally.

I've heard similar things coming out of North Carolina. The fact of the 21st century is this: racism as an institution exists in the NORTH.
    It's true that Georgia and Florida are police abuse $#@!holes that put many other states to shame when it comes to treating citizens like dirt, but even then I'm pretty sure they're not racially motivated police states.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Well, the suspect was fleeing right?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Every single law, no matter how minor or trivial, carries with it the remote possibility of a death sentence. It all depends on how the encounter goes when you are caught by the Enforcers.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Well, the suspect was fleeing right?
    yep, and only cowards shoot you in the back for missing a support payment...or was a tail light?....meh...,apparently it doesn't matter....''hey look Gomer, a darky running away...shoot him...''

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by paleocon1 View Post
    You get the F. Graham award
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Some law professor opined:

After reviewing the video, Maki Haberfeld, professor and chairwoman of the Department of Law, Police Science and Criminal Justice Administration at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, said it would be difficult for police to justify the shooting.

“If somebody’s running away from you, it’s not like your life or somebody else’s life is in danger,” Ms. Haberfeld said. “From what I am seeing, it’ll be hard to justify this shooting.”

However, Ms. Haberfeld said she believed that a murder charge went too far in this type of situation and suggested a lesser charge would be more appropriate. “Murder should have some element of premeditation,” she said. “I don’t think an officer who in doing their job makes an error in judgment wakes up thinking they want to kill somebody.”
    Ok, so if I draw my pistol and fire 8 rounds at a guy running away from me in public, it's not murder, it's just an error in judgement?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Al Sharpton Calls for Federal Police Laws After South Carolina Killing

Read more at http://observer.com/2015/04/al-sharp...#ixzz3Wk03OtO6
    Follow us: @newyorkobserver on Twitter | newyorkobserver on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Al Sharpton Calls for Federal Police Laws After South Carolina Killing

Read more at http://observer.com/2015/04/al-sharp...#ixzz3Wk03OtO6
    Follow us: @newyorkobserver on Twitter | newyorkobserver on Facebook
    Of course he does. And body cameras on all police. It's amazing how these incidents always lead to MORE surveillance state and federal overreach.

The video looks bogus to me, just sayin...

eta: Rand is appearing nearby this incident for his SC visit tomorrow (thurs). Interesting coincidence.
    Last edited by devil21; 04-08-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Two years: suspended.

Next!
    Nope, will plead down to misdemeanor "discharging a firearm in city limits" and pay a $75 fine. Suspended for two weeks without pay. Promoted to Sargent next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Keep reading this until it sinks in!

+ rep.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast