Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WaPo: Will Rand Paul Inherit the Energy From his Father's Campaigns? (cites RPFs)

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Will Rand inherit the energy of his father's campaign?

Answer: Not even close. The passion that drove the 2008/2012 NOBP campaigns were borne out of pure unfiltered truth to power. So far the Rand 2016 Campaign seems hell-bent on playing politics as usual and panders WAY too much to ignite the fires that spread in 2008/2012.

Will I vote for Rand? Yes. Will I dedicate as much of my time and money to his campaign that I did to Ron Paul's? Probably not. Will I be selling "Rand Paul Cured My Apathy" T-shirts? No, because no one would buy them...

Sad but true. Love the guy, but there's a difference between being a statesman and a politician. I prefer the former.
    I dunno. If the dude wins Iowa and NH, the idealists will come pouring out of the woodwork.

At the moment it feels like giving up something solid, purity and idealism and righteous fury, for no tangible results. If Rand gets traction, then suddenly, maybe, all the effort in '08 and '12 wasn't for nothing.

That, that sensation right then, of justification of a decade of work, could be the biggest political movement of the century.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    You need fervor to go door to door in sub zero weather.... Just saying.
    It's about proper calibration. You want to slide into that sweet spot above "knocks on doors in a New Hampshire winter" and below "pelts Fox News hosts with snowballs".
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    To be fair, Rand 2016 =/= Ron 2012. It's almost an entirely new team; Benton's off in PACland.
    This is very true. In NH he hired a Santorum staffer to run his game. Santorum got 9% of the vote and had basically zero ground game. There has only been one Ron Paul staff hire from Rand in NH.

Truth.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    There was a lot more time from Goldwater to Reagan.
    Ah yes, St. Reagan.

The last president to sign enduring gun control legislation into law.

The first president to unilaterally send an invasion force into sovereign land without even congressional oversight.

The president who oversaw turning on the Fed's money spigot.

The president who spent that money like it was free.

The president who sold weapons to Iran (where's that anyway, haven't heard anything about that place recently) so he could funnel money into revolutions he was fomenting in other places.

The president who is more directly responsible for the War on Drugs, and the 2 million incarcerated Americans it has resulted in, than any other president.

Nice to know getting this sort of person elected is the goal of this site.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

What is comes down to is that Rand is going to run a conventional campaign. He doesn't need people to do handmade signs and stand on street corners, he won't need a blimp. He probably won't need their money either. All he needs to do is not go so far right in the primary he loses their votes.

The liberty torch has been passed...

Rand Paul for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    To be fair, Rand 2016 =/= Ron 2012. It's almost an entirely new team; Benton's off in PACland.
    True enough.

It would be nice if he reached out to "us", meaning the core of his dad's support, and asked us to join him.

Maybe he has, and I missed it.

This post got me thinking of the time I drove 7+ hours to NH to go door to door doing voter ID issue canvassing back in 2007 in sub zero temps.

There is actually still video of some of us on Youtube here, brings back good memories.

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Well that's just silly, we all know that. Ron's campaign made mistakes. Hopefully Rand's makes less. But they didn't want volunteers or voters? Nah.
    It is not silly, it's been discussed and documented many times before, and I saw it with my own eyes, the last NH campaign made it clear they wanted none of "kooky" support.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Ah yes, St. Reagan.

The point was that Reagan fundamentally changed the constituency and orientation of the GOP. Rand has the potential to do the same thing, with the neocons playing the role of the Rockefeller Republicans and young, more individualistic voters in the role of the Reagan Democrats.

I don't praise Reagan for his policies, I praise him for showing entrenched interests in a major party can be displaced and overthrown.
    Last edited by Inkblots; 04-06-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Ah yes, St. Reagan.

The first president to unilaterally send an invasion force into sovereign land without even congressional oversight.

The president who sold weapons to Iran (where's that anyway, haven't heard anything about that place recently) so he could funnel money into revolutions he was fomenting in other places.

The president who is more directly responsible for the War on Drugs, and the 2 million incarcerated Americans it has resulted in, than any other president.

Is there a list of Presidents who haven't done shady $#@! that I'm not aware of??
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Don't forget the South American coke trade that spawned the "crack" epidemic of the early 90's that was part of the Iran/Contra fiasco.

Oh, and supporting Saddam Hussien's army in a useless border war against Iran that got millions killed.

And death squads in Central America.

Ah yes, St. Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    What is comes down to is that Rand is going to run a conventional campaign. He doesn't need people to do handmade signs and stand on street corners, he won't need a blimp. He probably won't need their money either. All he needs to do is not go so far right in the primary he loses their votes.
    Exactly my point.

So, we'll see how the pros do this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Is there a list of Presidents who haven't done shady $#@! that I'm not aware of??
    Oh, I figure Calvin Coolidge will get some company on that list one of these centuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Bastiat's The Law, you're famous!
    Hopefully people will be curious enough to search his name. Good thing it wasn't Rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Oh, I figure Calvin Coolidge will get some company on that list one of these centuries.
    Grover Cleveland was almost as good. In a lot of ways, better, because he didn't benefit from a post-WWI desire for nonintervention - he was fighting the imperialists all through his two non-consecutive terms.

Ah yes, St. Reagan.

Nice logic fail.

Rand :: Ron
    Reagan :: Goldwater

DOES NOT IMPLY that Rand will be beholden to the same policy errors as Reagan.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a silly, when Rand announces all of the smart/pragmatic libertarians will be on board, as the campaign goes by all of the movement followers will also come on board, only some of the extreme fringe might stay out, which is probably a good thing anyways.

I do know a couple of regional leadership type activists who are not as excited but they'll still vote and support.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    but the thing is, if you're running a conventional campaign, you don't even need the votes of the Liberty crowd. And if you don't need their votes, then you don't need to follow through on what they want after you are elected.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

All of your criticisms are valid. But Reagan was also the right President for the time. Reagan took office with double digit inflation. His plan to cut tax rates dramatically and have a tight monetary was exactly the right policy at the right time. And history has shown that. Jimmy Carter and liberal economists thought his plan was nuts.

Volcker, with Reagan's forceful blessing, took draconian measures to beat inflation that he was not able to take under Carter . It sent Reagan's approval rating into the 20's. It is easy to armchair quarterback now. It took a lot of guts. Reagan's economic plan is what created that playing field that lead to the greatest wealth creation in world history.

No. Rand's campaign will have far more energy

This conversation is unnecessary. Rand is not Reagan.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Exactly my point.

So, we'll see how the pros do this time around.
    I don't think he is going to win this time. Maybe next. I'm voting for him still.

but the thing is, if you're running a conventional campaign, you don't even need the votes of the Liberty crowd. And if you don't need their votes, then you don't need to follow through on what they want after you are elected.
    He needs their votes to win. He will need the vast majority of people who voted Ron, plus new voters to pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Bastiat's The Law, you're famous!
    And I and a lot of others are jealous!
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

I will push like I did for his father.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Liberty lovers are his core base, you need your core base. You expand from there. Just like how Ron did so well in Iowa.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Returning to the Second Tea Party

Hopefully, Rand Paul can inherit the same energy from his father's campaign as this:

"Then David said to the Philistine, 'You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of Yahweh of hosts, the God of the battle lines of Israel, Whom you have reproached.'" - 1 Samuel 17:45

"May future generations look back on our work and say that these were men and women who, in moment of great crisis, stood up to their politicians, the opinion-makers, and the Establishment, and saved their country." - Dr. Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    And nonsense. I'm sure Rand is plenty glad to have passionate Alex Jones type supporters fueling his campaign. He doesn't have to endorse back.
    Tell that to the likes of Matt Collins.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    Yea I found it amusing too, just caught me by surprise that he decided to end the article that way almost like he was a poster on RPF purposely trying to throw a jab at someone.
    You know, I was thinking that very same thing! And we were probably thinking of that very same poster, too. Wonder who that could have been, lol?
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast