Thread: Cops arrest woman for doing as instructed.

Cops arrest woman for doing as instructed.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

Woman said safety was reason she didn't pull over for police

March 31, 2015 2:55 pm • Bob Kasarda bob.kasarda@nwi.com, (219) 548-4345

VALPARAISO | Portage resident DelRea Good said she did not immediately pull over for the flashing lights behind her because, as a 52-year-old woman traveling alone at 11:21 p.m. on a dark county road, she was concerned for her safety.

Assuming the car behind her was a police officer, Good said she slowed her vehicle, put on her emergency flashers, waved her arm out the window to acknowledge the pursing car and continued for less than a mile where she pulled over into the lighted parking lot at the Kohl's department store in Portage.

The decision not to immediately stop resulted in her being handcuffed and taken to jail by Porter County Sheriff's Department Patrolman William Marshall on a felony charge of resisting arrest. It may also cost her her job, because a nurse cannot work after being convicted of a felony, she said.

"I felt I didn't do anything wrong," Good said. "I got to a safe place and I told him that."

Porter County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Larry LaFlower said, "The sheriff's office supports our officer's decision in this matter."

He cited state law requiring motorists to yield to emergency vehicles and said Marshall was driving a fully marked squad car and used the lights and siren.

Marshall wrote in the incident report he initiated the March 20 traffic stop just north of County Road 700 North on northbound County Road 500 West (Airport Road) after clocking Good's car traveling 54 mph in a 35 mph zone. Good told The Times she was unsure how fast she was driving.

Marshall acknowledged Good waved out her car window and turned on her flashers before pulling over less than a mile later in the store parking lot.

Good said Marshall was very angry as he approached her car and said to her, "What in the hell are you doing? I could arrest you for this."

Good said she was surprised by his reaction and told him to stop yelling at her.

Marshall described Good in his report as "highly agitated and uncooperative." She reportedly told him she was aware he was a police officer, but drove to where she felt safe.

"I don't care who you are I don't have to stop on a county road, I'm a single female," Marshall quoted her as saying.

After Good refused to listen to how her actions put her and others in danger, Marshall said he arrested her.

Good, who said she did not resist the arrest or make any further comments, claims the officer bruised her arm while leading her to his police car and continued to "bully" her at the jail by claiming Advil and other medications she had were controlled substances.

Good, who reportedly has no prior criminal record, said as a nurse, she is accustomed to following rules.

"I follow rules every day or people could get hurt," she said.

She is scared about the impact of a felony conviction, but said the issue is bigger than just herself.

"This is serious," she said. "This could be your mom, your sister, your daughter next time."

Defense attorney Bob Harper, who is representing Good, said her concerns about pulling over along a dark county road are not unwarranted.

He referred to a case in 1991 where a woman pulled over in Valparaiso for a car with flashing red lights and was attacked by a man pretending to be a police officer.

Portage police issued a warning two years ago after someone using flashing red and blue lights, possibly impersonating a police officer, tried to get a woman to pull over.

Portage Police Sgt. Keith Hughes said at the time the woman used good judgment by not stopping for the man.

He recommended drivers call 911 if they question who is attempting to pull them over and if unable to reach a dispatcher, acknowledge the officer by waving at them and then drive to a well-lit public location before stopping and tell the officer about your concern.
    http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/p...d0041aa57.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "I felt I didn't do anything wrong,"
    I bet you 'feel' pretty stupid now dont ya
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

"I don't care who you are I don't have to stop on a county road, I'm a single female," Marshall quoted her as saying.
    It's not like he's gonna rape you, he's a police officer and police officers don't commit rape or crimes of any kind
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

He recommended drivers call 911 if they question who is attempting to pull them over and if unable to reach a dispatcher, acknowledge the officer by waving at them and then drive to a well-lit public location before stopping and tell the officer about your concern.
    That statement says it ALL.

Of course they would, especially if talking on a cell phone while driving is illegal. It is in this state, but not sure if it is where ever she lives. Youre damned no matter what you do or dont do. Catch 22. Entrapment. Call it what ever you want, it still results in 5% population and 25% of the worlds Prison Population, as well as being 58 TIMES more likely to be killed by a Cop in the good ol' USA than by a Terrorist.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

on the bright side, she may have just saved her life by doing that...

you can't tell a good cop from a bad cop these days..

oh well, its only a felony and your job...but at least you're alive.

Sadly this is not an April fools joke.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    on the bright side, she may have just saved her life by doing that...

you can't tell a good cop from a bad cop these days..

oh well, its only a felony and your job...but at least you're alive.
    Oh she should quit whining, good times are here again and jobs can be found anywhere.

Marshall described Good in his report as "highly agitated and uncooperative."
    I doubt this.

I'd bet a month's pay it was the cop, yelling, freaking out and dog cussing this woman for failing to instantly and submissively comply.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What is a women doing on a dark country road at midnight driving alone?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 08:28 PM.

It is not unlike her concerns are completely unjustified; these are merely but a few examples:

Craig Peyer
    Veteran CHP Sergeant Accused of Raping Woman Near Barstow | CHP Officer Facing Probe Found Dead
    Man Arrested After Allegedly Impersonating Undercover Police Officer, Raping Torrance Woman

It is not failure-to-yield (FTY) if it was only the driver's intention to stop at a location they deemed reasonably safe to stop and make contact; whether or not the driver suspects that the unit is actually law enforcement is not relevant to FTY or resisting arrest for that matter--i.e., if the latter is legally unsubstantiated one has every right to use reasonable force to resist it.

In California, for example, FTY is an infraction CVC21806, and resisting arrest is generally a misdemeanor CPC148.

There seems to be more to this though, it sounds like another case of a pissed police officer wrongfully arresting the female for a supposed infraction, in turn escalating the situation to a panicked female, upsetting her, and thereby resulting in a resisting arrest charge, so the cop gets his hook, is happy and content--and consequently, the serf’s life gets turned upside-down. A good example for reference:

You have been speeding on the highway and an officer pulls over your vehicle. After some questions by the police officer he attempts to search your vehichle. You protest the search believeing its not warranted and the police officer threatens to arrest you if you do not sit calmly. You continue to assert your rights and the police officer attempts to arrest you but you refuse to be handcuffed. Under this scenerio you would be resisting arrest under California law.
    Last edited by Weston White; 04-02-2015 at 08:55 AM.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I doubt this.

I'd bet a month's pay it was the cop, yelling, freaking out and dog cussing this woman for failing to instantly and submissively comply.
    New York police officer’s xenophobic rant on taxi driver caught on video (Graphic language)

An NYPD officer, unaware that he was being filmed, was captured unleashing a torrent of abuse and obscenities at an Uber driver as a passenger in the vehicle filmed the action. The lawman has been identified as an NYPD terrorism detective.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What is a women doing on a dark country road at midnight driving alone?
    Charging the batteries for her "Fap-pliance"? Running Drugs? Really dangerous ones like an ounce of pot? Oooh, she may have been committing a Victimless Crime, like Speeding!

This lady is just VERY lucky she did not turn into an "Uncategorized Statistic" for the 2015 version of "how many people cops killed this year".

---

Off topic: I saw a headline recently about the number of people that are killed by cops per country. 2014 - USA: 1100, Canada: 2, Germany: 0. Those are the stats I remember, but I can NOT find that news article to save my life! Search results come up with how many cops were killed, because apparently there is no official registry for how many people the cops have killed, making things even more difficult... If anyone finds that article, please post it, in its own thread of course...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Cops whine about how dangerous it is to conduct a stop on the side of a busy road -- then if someone tries to take the stop to a safer location (maybe out of concern for the officer's safety) they may get cursed at, beaten, arrested, or worse.

If you're dealing with Officer Roid Rage you can't win, so you might as well just pull over right away, and let him/her sweat maybe having cars passing within inches while the Enforcer does its "job" .

I don't really have much sympathy anymore when I see videos of them being hit by passing cars while doing stops -- maybe if they'd encourage and allow drivers to go out of their way to find a safe area to stop that wouldn't happen so much ...

Anyone can put flashing lights on their vehicle, I would make sure you are being pulled over by a well marked car.
    She needs to sue these pricks.

, ,

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratovarious View Post
    Anyone can put flashing lights on their vehicle, I would make sure you are being pulled over by a well marked car.
    She needs to sue these pricks.

, ,
    Yes, as long as its a well marked car its safe to pull over on a dark county road late at night. The cop being there ensures its very safe.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Yes, as long as its a well marked car its safe to pull over on a dark county road late at night. The cop being there ensures its very safe.
    ??

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    I don't really have much sympathy anymore when I see videos of them being hit by passing cars while doing stops -- maybe if they'd encourage and allow drivers to go out of their way to find a safe area to stop that wouldn't happen so much ...
    Hang on.... was I ever supposed to have sympathy for them?

I had these $#@!ers figured out at age 17, the first time four of them went right past me broken down on a busy interstate in 95 degree weather.

But when I started walking for help... well, that's illegal, see, so I only made it about 100 yards before one pulled over to crawl up my ass about it.

I ain't happy about feeling this way and I recognize it ain't the Christian thing to do, but you've sown the wind, motherfuckers.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.