Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Gold vs. World Currencies in the First Quarter

  1. #1

    Gold vs. World Currencies in the First Quarter

    Gold Rises Against Nearly All Currencies in the First Quarter of 2015
    If today's price action were included, gold would have risen against all major currencies, including the dollar.
    Here is a sampling of Q1 2015 Gold vs Major Currencies Charts:

    https://smaulgld.com/gold-price-in-w...-quarter-2015/



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gold vs the australian dollar.PNG   gold vs canadian dollar q1 2015.PNG  
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Gold vs US Dollar (it actually moved above $1200 today):



    http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html

  4. #3
    Gold vs the Dollar 10 year- What's Your Point Zippy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gold ten year march 2015.PNG  
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Gold vs US Dollar (it actually moved above $1200 today):

    Looks like the libertarian ousted your Democrat chart. Again.

    There is something called long term. Sorry, Democrat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.




    Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Looks like the libertarian ousted your Democrat chart. Again.

    There is something called long term. Sorry, Democrat.
    The purpose of the post was to convey information on the past 90 day re gold and world currencies. Zippy's posting a five year chart of gold vs the dollar is a waste of comment space.
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  7. #6
    Your charts were not 90 days either- they are 365 days. 90 days would have started in January- not last April. And did not list the dollar- the currency most people on this site use so I shared more information.

    NorthCarolinaLiberty was right about long term being important- and mine was also longer term than your initial charts.

    Kitco has 60 day but not 90 day gold:



    90 days:

    https://www.goldline.com/charts-news/gold-charts
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-01-2015 at 05:22 PM.

  8. #7
    I'm a bonafide gold bug but this is bearish. As the other currencies crumble people will flee into the dollars thats why despite the other currencies declining the POG in dollars is relatively unchanged and I think using the Q1 numbers is a little disingenuous since Gold typically performs quite well at the start of new years.

    Tracing back to the Euro, Gold, and Oil tops in July you can see the bearish picture - my point is as the other currencies have crumbled (like the Euro down almost 25%) the dollar has surged and gold and oil have come under pressure. We are $140 off the July 2014 highs as the dollar has surged nearly 20% on the backs of the other collapsing currencies.

    If Martin Armstrong is right we should see a real collapse in equities this fall and I believe gold will go with them ala 2008 and then we'll get a tremendous buying opportunity in gold...
    It's just an opinion... man...

  9. #8
    He also said the Dow would hit 32000 this year. http://www.silverdoctors.com/martin-...ouble-by-2015/ (from 2013)

    From his blog today:
    http://armstrongeconomics.com/author...ugustuscaesar/

    It is not Doom & Gloom to pay attention and understand how things work. You will not be able to warn someone who does not want to listen until they see it for themselves. In Europe, they see it and live it everywhere. In the States – we ain’t there yet. Guess what! That is also why gold is not yet ready for prime time. This is not about what you “feel” or see yet, this is about what the MAJORITY sees and feels.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    I'm a bonafide gold bug but this is bearish. As the other currencies crumble people will flee into the dollars thats why despite the other currencies declining the POG in dollars is relatively unchanged and I think using the Q1 numbers is a little disingenuous since Gold typically performs quite well at the start of new years.

    Tracing back to the Euro, Gold, and Oil tops in July you can see the bearish picture - my point is as the other currencies have crumbled (like the Euro down almost 25%) the dollar has surged and gold and oil have come under pressure. We are $140 off the July 2014 highs as the dollar has surged nearly 20% on the backs of the other collapsing currencies.

    If Martin Armstrong is right we should see a real collapse in equities this fall and I believe gold will go with them ala 2008 and then we'll get a tremendous buying opportunity in gold...
    There's nothing disingenuous about reporting quarterly numbers! I reported the annual number in January and will report the second quarter numbers in early July.
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  12. #10
    Zipppy- the first chart in the blog post is gold vs US dollars sorry you missed in your zeal to correct my post!
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    Zipppy- the first chart in the blog post is gold vs US dollars sorry you missed in your zeal to correct my post!
    Sorry- I read that as "Australian Dollars" in your post. (I don't bump you blog)

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    I'm a bonafide gold bug but this is bearish. As the other currencies crumble people will flee into the dollars thats why despite the other currencies declining the POG in dollars is relatively unchanged and I think using the Q1 numbers is a little disingenuous since Gold typically performs quite well at the start of new years.

    Tracing back to the Euro, Gold, and Oil tops in July you can see the bearish picture - my point is as the other currencies have crumbled (like the Euro down almost 25%) the dollar has surged and gold and oil have come under pressure. We are $140 off the July 2014 highs as the dollar has surged nearly 20% on the backs of the other collapsing currencies.

    If Martin Armstrong is right we should see a real collapse in equities this fall and I believe gold will go with them ala 2008 and then we'll get a tremendous buying opportunity in gold...
    The interesting dynamic is that the dollar has soared and gold has kept pace. That is very unusual.
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Sorry- I read that as "Australian Dollars" in your post. (I don't bump you blog)
    So you missed US Dollars in the bold headline and the first chart Gold vs. the United States Dollar
    but were off posting a response?
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    So you missed US Dollars in the bold headline and the first chart Gold vs. the United States Dollar
    but were off posting a response?
    Sorry, maybe it is just me. I still can't find you or your charts in this thread using "Gold vs US Dollars" until after I have my chart posted. Maybe you can help. Here is the bold headline for the thread:

    Gold vs. World Currencies in the First Quarter
    And the body of that post:

    Gold Rises Against Nearly All Currencies in the First Quarter of 2015
    If today's price action were included, gold would have risen against all major currencies, including the dollar.
    Here is a sampling of Q1 2015 Gold vs Major Currencies Charts:

    https://smaulgld.com/gold-price-in-w...-quarter-2015/
    None of those charts which follow between there and mine have US dollars. Again- maybe I am missing something.

    But I also don't see what the big issue is that is worth getting so excited about. I posted a chart of gold versus the dollar in a thread about gold vs major currencies.

    (and again- I don't visit your blog if that is where you posted it).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-01-2015 at 06:38 PM.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Sorry, maybe it is just me. I still can't find you or your charts in this thread using "Gold vs US Dollars" until after I have my chart posted. Maybe you can help. Here is the bold headline for the thread:



    And the body of that post:



    None of those charts which follow between there and mine have US dollars. Again- maybe I am missing something.

    But I also don't see what the big issue is that is worth getting so excited about. I posted a chart of gold versus the dollar in a thread about gold vs major currencies.

    (and again- I don't visit your blog if that is where you posted it).
    No big issue. You don't read my blog, I won't read your comments. Deal?
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    The purpose of the post was to convey information on the past 90 day re gold and world currencies. Zippy's posting a five year chart of gold vs the dollar is a waste of comment space.
    Ah okay; I see what you're saying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post


    Again- maybe I am missing something.

    No, nothing is missing. Just your usual Democrat/Obama/big government/Etc. charts to cloud the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.




    Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    No big issue. You don't read my blog, I won't read your comments. Deal?
    We are both free to read what we please. Sorry about the confusion.

  21. #18
    Meh , gold has started and ended and been again about $1200 paper dollars , end of yr , beginning of yr and first quarter of the next yr. It is real , paper dollars are paper dolllars.

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Meh , gold has started and ended and been again about $1200 paper dollars , end of yr , beginning of yr and first quarter of the next yr. It is real , paper dollars are paper dolllars.
    measuring gold against currency, when you are valuing the gold in the very same currency is pointless...

    you are measuring gold, which is an asset class, and therefore expected to appreciate in value, against a stack of cash sitting in a drawer, which by its nature, can never go up, only sideways or down.

    My son versus my adult cat, when he was born he was 20" and 7lbs, roughly the same as my cat, now he's over three feet and 50lbs , the cat's the same as he ever was, he's kicking that cat's ass!

    If you want to understand what gold has or has not done, value it against another asset class, like the S and P 500, or long term bonds...

    compare a dollar cost averaged S and P 500 index fund, reinvesting all dividends (don't conviently forget that many actually pay you 4 times a year just to own them) to a similar fund set up to buy gold coins and put them in a safe..

    The longer term you go, the worse it looks for gold...

    and I own gold, a significant amount of it, and will continue to, as I like to stay diversified across asset classes, but it is what it is, an commodity asset that serves as a hedge against uncertainty, not some magical entity that I need to defend like its my religious deity of choice.
    Last edited by Dforkus; 04-02-2015 at 06:31 AM.

  23. #20
    [QUOTE=Dforkus;5828403]measuring gold against currency, when you are valuing the gold in the very same currency is pointless...

    you are measuring gold, which is an asset class, and therefore expected to appreciate in value, against a stack of cash sitting in a drawer, which by its nature, can never go up, only sideways or down.

    My son versus my adult cat, when he was born he was 20" and 7lbs, roughly the same as my cat, now he's over three feet and 50lbs , the cat's the same as he ever was, he's kicking that cat's ass!

    If you want to understand what gold has or has not done, value it against another asset class, like the S and P 500, or long term bonds...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always best to have many reference points. Smaulgld also values gold against:

    the Dow
    https://smaulgld.com/gold-vs-dow/

    Home Prices

    https://smaulgld.com/homes-priced-in-ounces-gold/

    Silver

    https://smaulgld.com/gold-silver-ratio/
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    you are measuring gold, which is an asset class, and therefore expected to appreciate in value, against a stack of cash sitting in a drawer, which by its nature, can never go up, only sideways or down
    As I've already told you on another thread, many people here consider gold to be equivalent to "money" & that's why they compare its performance vs idle cash in other currencies to say "look how much better gold is at holding purchasing power compared to other currencies", & it would require one to divorce oneself from reality to say it isn't so.
    There is enormous inertia a tyranny of the status quo in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis actual or perceived produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

  25. #22
    [QUOTE=Smaulgld;5828458]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    measuring gold against currency, when you are valuing the gold in the very same currency is pointless...

    you are measuring gold, which is an asset class, and therefore expected to appreciate in value, against a stack of cash sitting in a drawer, which by its nature, can never go up, only sideways or down.

    My son versus my adult cat, when he was born he was 20" and 7lbs, roughly the same as my cat, now he's over three feet and 50lbs , the cat's the same as he ever was, he's kicking that cat's ass!

    If you want to understand what gold has or has not done, value it against another asset class, like the S and P 500, or long term bonds...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always best to have many reference points. Smaulgld also values gold against:

    the Dow
    https://smaulgld.com/gold-vs-dow/

    Home Prices

    https://smaulgld.com/homes-priced-in-ounces-gold/

    Silver

    https://smaulgld.com/gold-silver-ratio/
    The "gold" versus the dow chart fails to account for dividend reinvestment, and is therefore, very very wrong...

  26. #23
    [QUOTE=Dforkus;5828735]
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post

    The "gold" versus the dow chart fails to account for dividend reinvestment, and is therefore, very very wrong...
    There is a note to that effect in the blog post.

    Also gold vs the dow is not a very good measure as gold is inert and the dow and the companies in it are active.

    The companies in the dow can become worthless or rise exponentially. The composition of the Dow also changes every year making it further a less desirable comparable.
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    The interesting dynamic is that the dollar has soared and gold has kept pace. That is very unusual.
    I guess the point I was trying to make is that when taken from July and not January this is not the case. You could argue gold has stayed flat while the dollar has surged for the last 3 months but as the price of oil collapses the price of gold will go with it and the prices of both are largely dependent on the USD which is going higher thanks to collapses in other currencies.

    Golds time is coming but I dont think it's anytime soon. Gold strength in other currencies and a soaring dollar is the sign of a serious deflationary collapse and that never bodes well for commodity prices at first.

    Thinking big picture we know what the Fed will do with a deflation - print even more money - and thats when confidence can be lost and commodities can soar. We are still a few steps from that point. The deflation is just now starting and has been ongoing for about 7 months now.
    Last edited by NoOneButPaul; 04-02-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    It's just an opinion... man...



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Some people keep forgetting that gold was less than $300 just after the turn of the millennium. It is now 4 times that amount. That is probably ancient history for a generation who now defines "trending" as something popular this week.

    I don't know nothin' from nothin', but I am going to bet it's not going back down that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.




    Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    measuring gold against currency, when you are valuing the gold in the very same currency is pointless...

    you are measuring gold, which is an asset class, and therefore expected to appreciate in value, against a stack of cash sitting in a drawer, which by its nature, can never go up, only sideways or down.

    My son versus my adult cat, when he was born he was 20" and 7lbs, roughly the same as my cat, now he's over three feet and 50lbs , the cat's the same as he ever was, he's kicking that cat's ass!

    If you want to understand what gold has or has not done, value it against another asset class, like the S and P 500, or long term bonds...

    compare a dollar cost averaged S and P 500 index fund, reinvesting all dividends (don't conviently forget that many actually pay you 4 times a year just to own them) to a similar fund set up to buy gold coins and put them in a safe..

    The longer term you go, the worse it looks for gold...

    and I own gold, a significant amount of it, and will continue to, as I like to stay diversified across asset classes, but it is what it is, an commodity asset that serves as a hedge against uncertainty, not some magical entity that I need to defend like its my religious deity of choice.
    I am heavily invested in land ,lead , copper , silver , aluminum , gold, trees , water etc. I abhor paper money and the S & P and most of the Nascrap.I do , though , put 6 % of my gross in the paper markets .I unload all FRN's as soon as possible.Sometime , between now and the next ten yr.'s I will be out of the paper markets all together.Gratefully so , next hint of the next big downturn and I am done , until I die. My religion as well , is not gold. I would rather have a bit than none.Lol

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    I guess the point I was trying to make is that when taken from July and not January this is not the case. You could argue gold has stayed flat while the dollar has surged for the last 3 months but as the price of oil collapses the price of gold will go with it and the prices of both are largely dependent on the USD which is going higher thanks to collapses in other currencies.

    Golds time is coming but I dont think it's anytime soon. Gold strength in other currencies and a soaring dollar is the sign of a serious deflationary collapse and that never bodes well for commodity prices at first.

    Thinking big picture we know what the Fed will do with a deflation - print even more money - and thats when confidence can be lost and commodities can soar. We are still a few steps from that point. The deflation is just now starting and has been ongoing for about 7 months now.
    Oil has been collapsing -gold has not gone with it https://smaulgld.com/gold-crude-oil-ratio/
    Ill update the chart later
    Many people seem married to scenarios that they read by Armstrong or Schiff rather than analysing for themselves.
    I havent presented any conclusions just data

    I
    Subscribe to Smaulgld.com

  32. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaulgld View Post
    Oil has been collapsing -gold has not gone with it https://smaulgld.com/gold-crude-oil-ratio/
    Ill update the chart later
    Many people seem married to scenarios that they read by Armstrong or Schiff rather than analysing for themselves.
    I havent presented any conclusions just data

    I
    +1

    I was going to say the same thing. Gold & Oil has no such direct relationship; oil is primarily used for consumption (which is usually correlated to economic activity) while gold is mostly used for investment. So, there's no reason to assume that they'd necessarily move together. In fact, if there's chaos then economic activity will drop, & likely, so will oil while all those fleeing out of other currencies may, in part, seek refuge in gold.
    There is enormous inertia a tyranny of the status quo in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis actual or perceived produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2015, 07:30 AM
  2. PMs: Anchor Currencies in Gold again, says World Bank chief
    By bobbyw24 in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 07:31 AM
  3. The Wierdest Currencies in the World
    By idiom in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 03:35 AM
  4. Are all the currencies of the world fiat?
    By RCA in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 01:00 PM
  5. Oil vs Currencies, Gold
    By AFM in forum Economy & Markets
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •