Thread: New Hampshire conservatives plan anti-Jeb Bush caucus

New Hampshire conservatives plan anti-Jeb Bush caucus

New Hampshire conservatives plan anti-Jeb Bush caucus

Right-wing groups seek to unify behind a single candidate, thwart perceived moderates.

Taking aim at Jeb Bush, a group of leading New Hampshire conservatives and libertarians are preparing to stage their own caucus three months before the state’s first-in-the-nation primary — and then unify behind the winner.

Sick of the string of centrist GOP-ers who’ve dominated the state’s primary in recent years — including John McCain (twice) and Mitt Romney — conservatives and libertarians are hoping to defy the conventional wisdom that the Granite State is moderate-friendly turf between the evangelical-dominated Iowa caucuses and socially conservative South Carolina.

They plan to choose among a slate of candidates likely to include Scott Walker, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul at their own presidential caucus in October, according to activists involved. Participants will agree to unify around the winner of the caucus in the hopes of beating Bush and other perceived moderates in the actual primary. The scheme emerges from years of simmering discontent within the state Republican party that now threatens to spill over into presidential politics and upset the plans of the national party, which has condensed its primary schedule and drastically cut the number of debates in order to hasten consolidation around an establishment nominee.

One of its organizers, tea party activist Jack Kimball, briefly ascended to the state party’s chairmanship in 2011 before being ousted by the forces of the establishment, led by all five top Republican elected officials in New Hampshire. Another, Andrew Hemingway, was a libertarian candidate for governor last year who lost the nomination fight to establishment favorite Walt Haventstein. Other organizers said that last year’s nominations of Havenstein and Scott Brown, who both lost in the general election, was the last straw. The state party was then further roiled in December, when the new Republican majority in the House selected Bill O’Brien as their choice for speaker, but another Republican, Shawn Jasper, seized the speakership with the help of Democrats and was subsequently censured by his own party.

The idea for the caucus emerged in the wake of the November midterms from a series of brainstorming sessions held by demoralized grass-roots activists determined to assert libertarian, conservative and tea party influence.

“It was borne of a sense that we need to do something to give conservatives more of a voice at all levels of government,” said organizer Jim Kofalt, adding that the presidential primary just happens to be the first opportunity to take action.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...#ixzz3W4d20mDt
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is great news. I don't think there is any doubt that Rand would win such a caucus. I wonder exactly how large this is and how much influence these leaders have.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

My guess this means a lot of non-liberty folks will either agree to support Paul or a few liberty folks will agree to support Walker.

From the article:
    Aaron Day — a leader of the state’s libertarian Free State movement and chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus of New Hampshire — said he plans to participate in the caucus and abide by its outcome. So far, roughly 30 groups have expressed their interest in participating, including pro-gun and pro-life organizations, according to 603 Alliance steering committee member Mike Rogers.

One of the groups, the Conservative Business League of New Hampshire, hosted Cruz at an event in Merrimack last Friday. Rogers, for his part, said Walker is getting good buzz among the activists with whom he’s spoken. And several of the liberatarian-oriented groups are enamored of Paul.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...#ixzz3W4oDTZVx
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Bush=Next worst president ever
    Walker=Clinton/Reagan at worst
    Rand=Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    This is great news. I don't think there is any doubt that Rand would win such a caucus. I wonder exactly how large this is and how much influence these leaders have.
    You would think so. But I'm sure Cruz at least would likely throw the full weight of his official campaign to winning this. Hopefully Rand doesn't just take it for granted. There's no excuse for us losing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I'd be less than surprised to see some type of lawsuit from the establishment about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Bush=Next worst president ever
    Walker=Clinton/Reagan at worst
    Rand=Not sure
    You give Walker too much credit. Most of the people advising Walker on foreign policy are former George W Bush staff. His closest political confidante, the guy who ghost-wrote his book, is Marc Thiessen, Bush's former speechwriter.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'd be less than surprised to see some type of lawsuit from the establishment about this.
    Oh yeah I have no doubt the statists will let this stand. They act all arrogant and above it now but if it actually pans out they'll find some legal maneuvering to try and stop it.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt1225 View Post
    Oh yeah I have no doubt the statists will let this stand. They act all arrogant and above it now but if it actually pans out they'll find some legal maneuvering to try and stop it.
    Not really, they can't control anything outside of the Republican party. If conservatives wanted to get together on their own to come to an agreement on who to support, there is no legal action they (the establishment) can take.

I like this idea, it definitely helps Rand out.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Not really, they can't control anything outside of the Republican party. If conservatives wanted to get together on their own to come to an agreement on who to support, there is no legal action they (the establishment) can take.

I like this idea, it definitely helps Rand out.
    My pessimism aside, it is a good idea and I hope other states find a way to do something similar.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson