Thread: Astaxanthin

Astaxanthin

I have been trying desperately to get my mother-in-law to take this supplement. She has diabetes and is blind in one eye due to retina detachment and is having issues with the other eye now. She says she doesn't want to take anything that may interfere with other medications she is taking (that are not doing anything to help her, mind you). It's very frustrating to watch someone you love slowly go blind.

Astaxanthin (asta-zan-thin) is a pretty powerful antioxidant. Here is some great information on Astaxanthin. I take it everyday.

Astaxanthin Provides Broad Spectrum Protection

5 Reasons to Take Astaxanthin Every Day

Astaxanthin: The Little-Known Miracle Nutrient for Inflammation, Anti-Aging, Athletic Endurance and More

Major Producer Reveals the Benefits of Astaxanthin – Nature's Most Powerful Antioxidant

Astaxanthin Benefits: Heart Health, Inflammation, and More
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    my mom is getting these shots in her eyes every several months for the same reason. She isn't too open to taking any supplements without talking to her doctor and she says she is concerned to take anything that might effect her diabetes or high blood pressure adversly. Most of the time she usually forgets or conveniently ignores the conversations we have about trying other methods.

I'll run this by her with the hopes that she will maybe give it a try.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    my mom is getting these shots in her eyes every several months for the same reason. She isn't too open to taking any supplements without talking to her doctor and she says she is concerned to take anything that might effect her diabetes or high blood pressure adversly. Most of the time she usually forgets or conveniently ignores the conversations we have about trying other methods.

I'll run this by her with the hopes that she will maybe give it a try.
    This supplement is truly extraordinary.

Here is some more information:

Astaxanthin, cell membrane nutrient with diverse clinical benefits and anti-aging potential.
    Kidd P1.
    Author information
    Abstract

Astaxanthin, a xanthophyll carotenoid, is a nutrient with unique cell membrane actions and diverse clinical benefits. This molecule neutralizes free radicals or other oxidants by either accepting or donating electrons, and without being destroyed or becoming a pro-oxidant in the process. Its linear, polar-nonpolar-polar molecular layout equips it to precisely insert into the membrane and span its entire width. In this position, astaxanthin can intercept reactive molecular species within the membrane's hydrophobic interior and along its hydrophilic boundaries. Clinically, astaxanthin has shown diverse benefits, with excellent safety and tolerability. In double-blind, randomized controlled trials (RCTs), astaxanthin lowered oxidative stress in overweight and obese subjects and in smokers. It blocked oxidative DNA damage, lowered C-reactive protein (CRP) and other inflammation biomarkers, and boosted immunity in the tuberculin skin test. Astaxanthin lowered triglycerides and raised HDL-cholesterol in another trial and improved blood flow in an experimental microcirculation model. It improved cognition in a small clinical trial and boosted proliferation and differentiation of cultured nerve stem cells. In several Japanese RCTs, astaxanthin improved visual acuity and eye accommodation. It improved reproductive performance in men and reflux symptoms in H. pylori patients. In preliminary trials it showed promise for sports performance (soccer). In cultured cells, astaxanthin protected the mitochondria against endogenous oxygen radicals, conserved their redox (antioxidant) capacity, and enhanced their energy production efficiency. The concentrations used in these cells would be attainable in humans by modest dietary intakes. Astaxanthin's clinical success extends beyond protection against oxidative stress and inflammation, to demonstrable promise for slowing age-related functional decline.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22214255

Astaxanthin: more studies
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I have been trying desperately to get my mother-in-law to take this supplement. She has diabetes and is blind in one eye due to retina detachment and is having issues with the other eye now. She says she doesn't want to take anything that may interfere with other medications she is taking (that are not doing anything to help her, mind you). It's very frustrating to watch someone you love slowly go blind.

Astaxanthin (asta-zan-thin) is a pretty powerful antioxidant. Here is some great information on Astaxanthin. I take it everyday.

Astaxanthin Provides Broad Spectrum Protection

5 Reasons to Take Astaxanthin Every Day

Astaxanthin: The Little-Known Miracle Nutrient for Inflammation, Anti-Aging, Athletic Endurance and More

Major Producer Reveals the Benefits of Astaxanthin – Nature's Most Powerful Antioxidant

Astaxanthin Benefits: Heart Health, Inflammation, and More
    This stuff is awesome!
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    This stuff is awesome!
    I gotta give my wife some Mega Kudos tonight. She actually researched this stuff a year or so back and started having us take it. I've gotten lazy and don't do it consistantly. Gonna have to start again.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I have been trying desperately to get my mother-in-law to take this supplement. She has diabetes
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    my mom is getting these shots in her eyes every several months for the same reason. She isn't too open to taking any supplements without talking to her doctor and she says she is concerned to take anything that might effect her diabetes or high blood pressure adversly.
    Do they eat bread? Do their doctors say it is ok to eat bread?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Do they eat bread? Do their doctors say it is ok to eat bread?
    Not that much. She does eat it, but not everyday. She tries to eat healthy for the most part. A lot of her problem is she severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies that she swears she can get through food. It's not going to happen with the way our soils have been depleted of good minerals over the years. *Sigh*

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-su...xanthin?page=2

Watch your boys, boys:

Some laboratory studies have shown astaxanthin may hinder an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase. As a result, it could keep testosterone from changing into the hormone DHT in the body. It's unclear what effect this may have, but prescription medicines that affect the same enzyme may cause side effects, such as:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Beware of Synthetic Astaxanthin

Like animal-based omega-3 fat, astaxanthin is an exception to my general rule to get your nutrients from food. Since it would be quite difficult to get therapeutic amounts of astaxanthin in your diet, it's a supplement worthy of consideration—especially to address any of the health problems listed above.

That said, dietary sources of astaxanthin include salmon, shrimp, lobster and crab. However, it's important to make sure it's wild-caught if you want to reap any of its benefits. Avoiding farm raised fish is good advise overall, but especially when it comes to salmon, as it typically will not contain natural astaxanthin. If your salmon label does not read "wild" or "naturally colored," you're probably going to be eating a coloring agent somewhat closer to motor oil than antioxidant...

Natural astaxanthin is more than 20 times stronger as an antioxidant than synthetic astaxanthin, and wild salmon are 400 percent higher in astaxanthin than its farmed counterpart. Furthermore, wild salmon have much higher levels of beneficial omega-3 fats than the farmed version.

Here's another interesting tidbit:

"If you look at the structure of astaxanthin, it's a very long molecule; the center of which is extremely fat soluble. That's why it goes into the membranes of your body and then the fatty tissue," Dr. Moerck says.

"When you look at a salmon you see that redness in a salmon. That color is really in the membranes and in the fat portion of the salmon associated with omega-3 DHA. They're right next to each other. That actually keeps the DHA from oxidizing. DHA is an unsaturated fatty acid. If you just leave it exposed to oxygen, it goes rancid.

… And in krill, one of the reasons why krill is so incredibly stable is it has astaxanthin in it. That keeps it from oxidizing."

Krill oil, due to its astaxanthin content, will remain undamaged by a steady flow of oxygen for an impressive 190 hours, according to tests conducted by Dr. Moerck. That's truly incredible when you consider just how fragile omega-3 fats are (both animal- and plant-based omega-3 fats).

Compare that to fish oil—an otherwise comparable animal-based omega-3 source—which goes rancid after just one hour. That makes krill oil nearly 200 times more resistant to oxidative damage compared to fish oil. A mere 0.2 mg of astaxanthin per gram of krill oil will protect it from rancidity.

"Krill oil; I have never seen anything like it," Dr. Moerck says. "As long as that krill oil has astaxanthin, as long as it's still red, it has antioxidant performance that even surpasses things like olive oil. That to me is totally astounding… [T]he only other oil that I know that's extremely stable and is a monounsaturated oil is amaranth oil."

Potential Side Effects

According to Dr. Moerck, the only documented side effect of astaxanthin is the development of slightly pinkish skin—which typically will not be considered a detrimental, as people typically identify people with a pinkish skin color to be "healthy."

So it's really a cosmetic benefit. Like melanin in your skin, this is also what will offer you protection against the sun, as astaxanthin works as an internal sunscreen.

More recently, a few bloggers have claimed that astaxanthin caused breast enlargement.

According to Dr. Moerck:

"There has been blogs about breast enlargement associated with astaxanthin. Folks, this is simply impossible… It's that cut and dry. Let me explain why that is.

First of all, the molecules themselves, the carotenoids, have no steroidal function. They also do not inhibit steroid formation, and of course we know that testosterone and estrogen are very important for sexuality and for hair growth and breast size, etc. However, carotenoids do not affect that at all. There is NO steroidal activity. It does not enter in any mechanism pathway for the synthesis of steroids."
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...taxanthin.aspx
    Last edited by donnay; 03-31-2015 at 04:44 PM.

might be time for smoothies with a few extra ingredients

I have taken lutein for a while.. last few times it was combined with astaxanthin. Good combo I guess
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Influence of astaxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein on DNA damage and repair in UVA-irradiated cells.

Santocono M1, Zurria M, Berrettini M, Fedeli D, Falcioni G.
    Author information

Abstract

In order to gain more knowledge about the antioxidant role of the predominant carotenoids (lutein and zeaxanthin) of the human retina, this study investigated their antioxidant activity and capacity. Astaxanthin was also studied, because its structure is very close to that of lutein and zeaxanthin. The antioxidant activity of these molecules was evaluated using chemiluminescence techniques, with lucigenin and luminol as chemiluminogenic probes for the superoxide radical and hydrogen peroxide, respectively. It was found that all three carotenoids have similar superoxide-scavenging activity. The effect on the reduction of H(2)O(2)-luminol chemiluminescence was present in the following order, zeaxanthin>astaxanthinlutein. Possible antioxidant capacity of these three compounds was sought using a biological system consisting of SK.N.SH human neuroblastoma and rat trachea epithelial cells subjected to oxidative stress from exposure to UVA radiation. In particular, we determined whether these compounds were capable of minimizing DNA damage and influencing the kinetics of DNA repair. DNA damage was assessed using the Comet assay, a rapid and sensitive single-cell gel electrophoresis technique used to detect primary DNA damage in individual cells. Neuroblastoma cells appeared more resistant to oxidative irradiation insult. The presence of carotenoids reduced DNA damage when rat epithelial cells were exposed to UVA radiation for 2min. A different result was obtained in experiments performed on neuroblastoma cells; in this case, the presence of carotenoid during UVA exposition increased the damage. The addition of carotenoids to epithelial cells after 2min of UVA exposition did not seem to improve the kinetics of DNA repair; on the contrary, zeaxanthin (after 60' incubation) and lutein (after 180' incubation) showed a genotoxic effect. The addition of carotenoids to neuroblastoma cells after 30' UVA exposition positively influences the kinetics of DNA repair in the first 15min of incubation. At longer exposition times, while the behaviour measured was not constant, a genotoxic effect was not observed. The data from this study provide additional information on the antioxidant and pro-oxidant activities of the predominant macular pigment carotenoids of the human retina.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16962787