Thread: Nebraska man silences oil and gas committee w/ invitation to drink water tainted by fracking

Nebraska man silences oil and gas committee w/ invitation to drink water tainted by fracking

WATCH: Nebraska farmer silences oil and gas committee with invitation to drink water tainted by fracking

Appearing before a Nebraska Oil & Gas Conservation committee hearing, a local farmer received nothing but silence from the pro-fracking members of the board after he invited them to drink glasses of water tainted by fracking.

In the video, uploaded to YouTube by BoldNebraska, Nebraskan James Osborne used his 3 minutes before the committee to visually explain what fracking waste can do to the water table, dramatically pouring out water containing his own “private mixture” of fracking additives.

The committee is holding public hearings on a proposal by an oil company to ship out-of-state fracking wastewater into Nebraska where it will be dumped into a “disposal well” in Sioux County. According to a report, the Terex Energy Corp wants to truck as much as 10,000 barrels a day of the chemical-laden fracking wastewater to a ranch north of Mitchell, Nebraska for disposal.

Explaining that he has ties to the oil industry and that he is still on the fence about fracking, Osbourne explained fluid dynamics to the board while pouring out three cups of the sludgy water that could result from spills or from seeping into the water table.

Referring to earlier testimony, Osbourne said, “So you told me this morning that you would drink this water,” as he indicated the cups.

“So would you drink it? Yes or no?” he asked, only to be met by silence by the stone-faced group before a member explained they wouldn’t be answering any questions.

“Oh, you can’t answer any questions? Well my answer would be ‘no.’ I don’t want this in the water that will travel entirely across this state in three days,” Osborne said. “There is no doubt there will be contamination. There will be spills.”

Osborne left the glasses on the table before thanking the committee and leaving to applause.

Watch the video below from BoldNebraska:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/w...d-by-fracking/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul4Prez2012 View Post
    WATCH: Nebraska farmer silences oil and gas committee with invitation to drink water tainted by fracking

Appearing before a Nebraska Oil & Gas Conservation committee hearing, a local farmer received nothing but silence from the pro-fracking members of the board after he invited them to drink glasses of water tainted by fracking.

In the video, uploaded to YouTube by BoldNebraska, Nebraskan James Osborne used his 3 minutes before the committee to visually explain what fracking waste can do to the water table, dramatically pouring out water containing his own “private mixture” of fracking additives.

The committee is holding public hearings on a proposal by an oil company to ship out-of-state fracking wastewater into Nebraska where it will be dumped into a “disposal well” in Sioux County. According to a report, the Terex Energy Corp wants to truck as much as 10,000 barrels a day of the chemical-laden fracking wastewater to a ranch north of Mitchell, Nebraska for disposal.

Explaining that he has ties to the oil industry and that he is still on the fence about fracking, Osbourne explained fluid dynamics to the board while pouring out three cups of the sludgy water that could result from spills or from seeping into the water table.

Referring to earlier testimony, Osbourne said, “So you told me this morning that you would drink this water,” as he indicated the cups.

“So would you drink it? Yes or no?” he asked, only to be met by silence by the stone-faced group before a member explained they wouldn’t be answering any questions.

“Oh, you can’t answer any questions? Well my answer would be ‘no.’ I don’t want this in the water that will travel entirely across this state in three days,” Osborne said. “There is no doubt there will be contamination. There will be spills.”

Osborne left the glasses on the table before thanking the committee and leaving to applause.

Watch the video below from BoldNebraska:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/w...d-by-fracking/
    So this wasn't water from a fracked well or from his or anyone else's property. Ummm :/
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Skeptical bastard that I am, this reminds me of Colin Powell taking a random vial of anthrax from U.S. storage before the U.N. and saying, 'See! this is what Iraq has! Guilty!'

Having said that, this guy looks like a salt-of-the-earth farmer type. He probably knows more about what goes on with the lands than any bureaucrat or oil prospector. Still it would have had more effect had he brought actual water from the well rather than mixing up his own concoction.

The representatives for the oil and gas committee could have just as easily invited him to drink water tainted with agricultural chemicals and it would have been fair play.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 03-29-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

He didn't give the exact coordinates of where the water was from, or what chemicals were put in it but that isnt the point.

The point is, the water supply is being ruined and the toxic water is the result and no person in that room would drink it.

Do I recall that the fracking formulas are secret blends. What this means is either you cannot test for them effectively or the companies are bypassing US law in order to keep the secrets.

If Osborne had taken a common blend and mixed it into water then had it tested, removed the lab test in a container sealed by the lab, he would have a legitimate confrontation.

It's a good idea or way to confront pro fracking groups. But it really should be a sample from a real well contaminated by fracking with the water drawn being witnessed by a group that signs declarations as to where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul4Prez2012 View Post
    He didn't give the exact coordinates of where the water was from, or what chemicals were put in it but that isnt the point.

The point is, the water supply is being ruined and the toxic water is the result and no person in that room would drink it.
    Example: If I bring you before a judge and hold up a bloody knife, is the jury supposed to believe you've committed a murder? Maybe it isn't exactly your knife and that isn't exactly real human blood on it, but that isn't the point. The point is, people commit murders and obviously you did. (not trying to be a smart-ass here, but the man didn't exactly make a solid argument by taking a random jar of water and putting dirt in it, or whatever he used).

----------------------------------------

Furthermore, we can't halt industries simply because something *might* go wrong, just as you can't punish someone for 'thought crimes' (though admittedly we are heading in that direction). The real problem is that many industries are protected by liability caps and therefore won't adequately weigh the risks of their actions before following through with them. If the fracking company potentially had to compensate or buy this man's farm for top-dollar if he were able to prove that contaminants ruined his livelihood, then they would either 1) proceed with business but make damn sure they have every precaution in place or 2) decide it simply isn't worth it to frack near his lands.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 03-30-2015 at 05:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.