Thread: The Income Tax is Immoral and Unconstitutional – and Not (Just) for the Reason You Think

Exclamation The Income Tax is Immoral and Unconstitutional – and Not (Just) for the Reason You Think

Worth the read.

By Robin Koerner I have just paid my biggest bill of the year. The invoice was for a cool 9% of my entire annual income – or my “Adjusted Gross Income” (AGI) as it appears on my tax returns, which have just been filed. And that invoice was from my accountant who just filed them for me.

I have a pretty modest income – so modest, in fact, that my AGI is of the order of a half of the median household income across the United States – the kind of income that triggers significant subsidies under the Affordable Care Act. Even the “top line” of my income falls short of that median: so it’s not as if I’m earning loads and deducting huge amounts.

My financial life last year was pretty simple: my earnings derived from a modest real estate portfolio and some freelance/consulting work. My income is earned through my small business, which, for those who know about these things, is an S-corporation. I have no employees. I do no payroll.

Yet, I have just paid my accountant more than a month’s worth of income to complete my tax returns...
    Source: http://benswann.com/income-tax-is-im...son-you-think/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Truth is ANYONE with an income of around $26K who pays $2000 to have their taxes prepared is an Idiot.

Well, he could probably spend $100 on Turbotax Premium and cut out the accountant. But he's right about the number of forms and pages and such. I just helped a woman file the other day - she's a single mom, had only W2 income, no property,...and her return was 15 pages long.

This is why people like me think that the Fair Tax would be much better than what we have now. But I think Obamacare killed the prospect of that ever happening.

peonage
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

He's partially to blame. Choosing to do business as an S corporation means that he has to file a return for the corporation in addition to his individual return. Had he formed a single-member limited liability company he'd have only his individual return to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    He's partially to blame. Choosing to do business as an S corporation means that he has to file a return for the corporation in addition to his individual return. Had he formed a single-member limited liability company he'd have only his individual return to prepare.
    I wondered about that too. With an S Corp, he has to pay tax on the corporate profit and then again on the capital gains. I suppose his accountant had a good reason for doing it that way, but off the top of my head I can't imagine what it is. But a lot of those nuances are specific to each state, too.

This right here is why I like to shoot rabbits with 22LR.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I've actually come to view property taxes as even more immoral.

Because of them, you will never be a free-holder.

No matter how big your McMansion is, you are just a sharecropping serf on The Massa's land.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I've actually come to view property taxes as even more immoral.
    They are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Excuse you. He is not to be blamed, partially or otherwise.

So, you are actually stating that requiring S-Corporations to file 149-pages is perfectly necessary and reasonably non-burdensome? And with that you have pparently missed the entire point of his article. Further noting that conglomerates and internationals file upwards of 10,000 pages (and pay little to no taxes, and just pay a small fine whenever they get busted by the IRS). Further still:

GE Filed 57,000-Page Tax Return, Paid No Taxes on $14 Billion in Profits

These 26 Companies Pay No Federal Income Tax

With Only $93 Billion in Profits, the Big Five Oil Companies Demand to Keep Tax Breaks

Regardless, this is all an income tax form needs to be:

Period.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Things can still get worse. Austalia now wants to start Taxing Bank Deposits!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Taxation is theft!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I wondered about that too. With an S Corp, he has to pay tax on the corporate profit and then again on the capital gains. I suppose his accountant had a good reason for doing it that way, but off the top of my head I can't imagine what it is. But a lot of those nuances are specific to each state, too.
    A corporation that has always been an S corporation doesn't pay federal income tax. Its income flows through to its shareholders and is reportable by them.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

This is why people like me think that the Fair Tax would be much better than what we have now. ..............................
    If the scope of the FedGov is not going to be reduced to Constitutional limits the Fair Tax is horrible for middle Americans who get handed the tax burden of the 1% while the 1% retains ALL of their rent seeking perks. Reduce FedGov to its proper Constitutional limits with a Military limited to defending America ONLY ($200B would be more than enough for both Military and HSA) and a lowrate transaction tax (which INCLUDES ALL financial transactions- 'fair' tax does not) coupled with a strong tariff and the Treasury spending new surrency into circulation rather than the Fed lending and we have balnced budgets without either an income tax or broad consumption taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleocon1 View Post
    If the scope of the FedGov is not going to be reduced to Constitutional limits the Fair Tax is horrible for middle Americans who get handed the tax burden of the 1% while the 1% retains ALL of their rent seeking perks. Reduce FedGov to its proper Constitutional limits with a Military limited to defending America ONLY ($200B would be more than enough for both Military and HSA) and a lowrate transaction tax (which INCLUDES ALL financial transactions- 'fair' tax does not) coupled with a strong tariff and the Treasury spending new surrency into circulation rather than the Fed lending and we have balnced budgets without either an income tax or broad consumption taxes.
    Changing the means of extortion collection is not designed nor aims to reduce revenue.

He covers this in the comments:

Robin Koerner

Obviously, I have a myriad reasons for having an S-corp that go beyond the scope of this article. Suffice to say, that the S-corp is the best vehicle for me, esp. with respect to minimizing total tax paid – and establishing limited liability is obviously not among them.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You don't have to go to the Fair tax to have a clean and easy taxation system.

Here only very high net worth people or companies have accountants.

Then, not having things like capital gains tax, or subsidies, or incentives, makes for a very small tax code.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

You don't have to go to the Fair tax to have a clean and easy taxation system.

Here only very high net worth people or companies have accountants.

Then, not having things like capital gains tax, or subsidies, or incentives, makes for a very small tax code.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care