Thread: String Theory

String Theory

This, we may begin to hear more about in a mainstream way. It's interesting. I'll share here in case anyone is interested in such things.It's just a wiki page with a kind of once over.

String theory

Aside...
    Michio Kaku says that God could be a mathematician: "The mind of God we believe is cosmic music, the music of strings resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace. That is the mind of God."
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 03-29-2015 at 01:19 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Mind of God is string music resonating in 11-dimensional hyperspace... they call that thinking BIG?

God help us. These are all pale echoes - mere reflections of something from which the seeking mind recoils in reflexive violence. I cannot help but laugh when I hear these fellow physicists go one about how they seek to zero-in on "God". My professors at Davis did not think I would go far in physics, and they were right. I saw no point in chasing my tail. Physics as avenue to practical engineering is a worthy pursuit, but as a philosophical basis for one's life... not so much so, IMO.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

"Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

Pray for reset.

I bought a book about it back in 1998.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    This, we may begin to hear more about in a mainstream way. It's interesting. I'll share here in case anyone is interested in such things.It's just a wiki page with a kind of once over.

String theory

Aside...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Mind of God is string music resonating in 11-dimensional hyperspace... they call that thinking BIG?

God help us. These are all pale echoes - mere reflections of something from which the seeking mind recoils in reflexive violence. I cannot help but laugh when I hear these fellow physicists go one about how they seek to zero-in on "God". My professors at Davis did not think I would go far in physics, and they were right. I saw no point in chasing my tail. Physics as avenue to practical engineering is a worthy pursuit, but as a philosophical basis for one's life... not so much so, IMO.
    I suppose that opinions do vary. Personally, I try to avoid becoming overly attached to my opinions or questions or any idea solely because they're my own. Is counterintuitive. Which was actually why I'd mentioned that I was sharing it here in case anyone was interested in such things.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 03-29-2015 at 10:22 PM.

I've done some looking into string theory but I'm not convinced it has any relevance to the real world. I think it is fundamentally a failed attempt to repair the holes in the Big Bang model.

M theory
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

All you need to know about string theory: It's a bunch of nonsense.

There is no proof, there cannot be any proof. The "strings" are defined to be so small we cannot measure them or detect them. There are an infinite number of different "string theories", each of which bends space in a different way. None of them are testable, or will ever be testable. It's theory compounding upon theory compounding upon theory until eventually you're out in la la land with 12 dimensions and web of tangled tensors.

You can always tell the good professors, because they explain things clearly, in a way that makes sense. These are the ones that actually know what they're talking about. Typically people with only a surface level understanding, or who don't know what they're talking about explain things in a needlessly complicated way. Shrouding themselves in highly technical jargon to disguise their own lack of understanding, they will attempt to confuse you to get you to stop asking questions.

I have lots of education in the realm of physics, some people might even consider me pretty brilliant. I have gone to string theory conferences, and what I see is the opposite of brilliance. I see a game of intellectual one upmanship, where the people are constantly convoluting their words and ideas in an attempt to to beat down the people around them. Rather than their mathematics and language being used to enlighten, it is being used to confuse and shroud themselves in a mirage of intellectual superiority. "I am the smartest one here, because I am the only one who understands what I'm talking about." The entire atmosphere of the conferences was really unhealthy. Rather than being open and earnest, the grad students and professors all had their nose in the air, smug and unfriendly. Populating their language with confusing terminology, even when speaking to laymen or scientists from other disciplines. "Look at me, I'm smarter than you, *smirk* ".

I'm not saying the theory is necessarily incorrect. But it certainly isn't useful to human beings. Any and all differences from standard physics theories fade away by design at the large scale level (The theories are designed this way to make sure they comply with observation). Since we can't measure anything that small, and accessing theoretical "strings" requires energy levels vastly higher than human beings are capable of generating, we simply can't know if these imaginings have any basis in reality. In my opinion, this is all a giant waste of brain power, and government funding.

------------------------------

Think about it. Pretend that there are some super huge organisms standing outside our universe, which they have contained in a bubble. Using their most powerful instruments, they are able to look into the bubble and find these tiny little things called galaxies. Based on the way the galaxies move and behave with one another, they conclude that the galaxies are probably made up of smaller points of light they call "stars". They imagine that these stars might have planets around them, but none have ever been observed, they are simply too small, and hard to detect.

Could any of these aliens predict the complex ripples and eddies that form in a babbling brook? Or the sound that a raven makes when it calls from a tree? Or any of the tiny little complexities that define our existence on this planet? Using their theories and models, could they predict the curls and arches formed in a patchy, clouded sky? THIS is the kind of thing we are attempting to do with String Theory!!! We simply cannot see things that small, we have no agency to do so. We cannot even imagine all the little details and complexities that are going on down there. The best we can do is measure global quantities such as energy levels and momentum, but even these have great uncertainty attached to them. String theory is trying to tell us, "I know how the clouds move, and you just aren't smart enough to understand it".
    Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 04-15-2015 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    I bought a book about it back in 1998.
    I think Michio speaks in a way to try and blow minds of laymen listeners to sell his books.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    actually, in a layman's terms. string theory could be seen in a metaphorical sense by using your radio.
    you have all frequencies of radio transmissions all occupying the same space all at the same time.
    when you dial into one of those frequencies(a vibrating string) you will pickup that channel, and the sound will come into focus.
    in matter, it would be all matter is made of the same stuff, but its frequency gives it a shape and quality. Spectrometers are one way to measure the frequency of an element.

or-
    technically, multiverses could occupy the same exact space and time, and what we see as our reality is one of the frequencies come into focus matching our own frequency.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 04-15-2015 at 10:40 AM.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
    All you need to know about string theory: It's a bunch of nonsense.

There is no proof, there cannot be any proof. The "strings" are defined to be so small we cannot measure them or detect them. There are an infinite number of different "string theories", each of which bends space in a different way. None of them are testable, or will ever be testable. It's theory compounding upon theory compounding upon theory until eventually you're out in la la land with 12 dimensions and web of tangled tensors.
    After four years I walked away from physics because the situation you describe demonstrated to me that somewhere these geniuses took a very wrong turn. I suspect that beneath all things in this physical world, things are simple, yet mind-bending. That these theories have become so convoluted tells me that something is fundamentally amiss. This is the problem with language, the logic and reason language permits and provides for, and the application of these tools to problems for which they are not suited.

I further suspect that digital computers present something of a good analog to reality in the sense that if we take the binary registers and memory spaces as the "lowest level" of reality, we may then see the most fundamental structures such as nibbles, bytes, and words as subatomic and atomic particles. Next, you might map ascii characters and/or byte-codes to molecules, basic data structures such as queues, arrays, deques, and so on as more complex structures. At some point you have combined the bits in ways so complex that a world of its own, replete with an illusory nature, arises in the form of complex applications such as net.games and certain AI applications of which I will say nothing. Taking primitive elements like bits and combining huge numbers of them in fantastically complex ways gives rise to worlds in their own rite. Perhaps that is what has happened with this universe. The ultra-simple in huge numbers and according to their basic natures have combined and organized to form our reality.

This, of course, flies in the face of string theory because it is too simple and that is why I suspect string theory is wrong. If we assume this, then it becomes time to alter our underlying assumptions about things and start again. I won't hold my breath waiting.

You can always tell the good professors, because they explain things clearly, in a way that makes sense. These are the ones that actually know what they're talking about. Typically people with only a surface level understanding, or who don't know what they're talking about explain things in a needlessly complicated way. Shrouding themselves in highly technical jargon to disguise their own lack of understanding, they will attempt to confuse you to get you to stop asking questions.
    While this is apparently the case much of the time, I would not go so far as to say that it is the case with cream-of-the-crop physicists. They are married to their base assumptions, which corrals their thought processes along certain paths which, due to the nature of those assumptions, are wildly complicated and tortured. This does not make them ignorant, it only means they are married to something that is flawed.

I have lots of education in the realm of physics, some people might even consider me pretty brilliant. I have gone to string theory conferences, and what I see is the opposite of brilliance. I see a game of intellectual one upmanship, where the people are constantly convoluting their words and ideas in an attempt to to beat down the people around them.
    I do not recall this, but I never attended symposia. I just went to classes, ate stomach lining, felt often confused due in large part to what I felt was the ridiculous complexity and arcane nature of the concepts, and due to that ultimately turned my back to it. I studied physics as a philosophical pursuit. I wanted to understand what all this was. I finally saw that, as a philosophical pursuit, physics was in fact a grand study in pissing up ropes. As an avenue for applied engineering, it is far less so, but we ought not fool ourselves into thinking that we know what we are talking about. We may be getting consistently predictable results for all the wrong reasons.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

"Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

Pray for reset.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    physics was in fact a grand study in pissing up ropes.
    Sometimes it is. Is true. That was funny the way that you said that. Got me chuckling.