Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would Rand change to Independent if not Republican nominee ?

Would Rand change to Independent if not Republican nominee ?

anyone know?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, he wouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

No
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

unfortunately, no. he would remain in the senate, as a meaningless backbencher.

My guess is yes, but in 2020, not 2016. And this threat is probably well known through the back channels and smoke filled rooms. i.e if the establishment wants to give up 15% of the general election vote in 2020, make Rand's day.
    Last edited by anaconda; 03-29-2015 at 12:54 AM.

No. Why do people even ask this question?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    Same reason they asked it about Ron - to marginalize him.

It's a great question IMHO.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I've not seem one blog ask if Cruz will run independent.

If Rand loses the GOP nomination in 2016, there's a good chance he would try for it again in 2020.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    It's a great question IMHO.
    Why? Rand endorsed Romney in 2012 and has made it clear that he's a team player and will endorse whoever the GOP nominates in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    anyone know?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    If Rand loses the GOP nomination in 2016, there's a good chance he would try for it again in 2020.
    I think so too. My gut says he wins it next time around.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    with Ron it was a more fair, if annoying, question.
    he ran third party before and endorsed third party in 2008.

in the beginning of the 2012 he wouldn't answer clearly if he intended to run third party if he lost the nomination, he answered in a way that left the door open a little.

so, as annoying as it was, it should have been expected.

if rand gets the question I expect him to shoot the idea down immediately.

not likely. he would most likely have to run against a sitting GOP president in 2020, and in 2024 against the sitting VP. the next realistic chance would be 2028. and that assumes wins in the senate races in 2016 and 2022.

realistically 2016 is it.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    unfortunately, no. he would remain in the senate, as a meaningless backbencher.
    LOL, if you think Rand is a backbencher, then you aren't paying attention.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

because most of us have given up on the GOP. the deck is stacked in favor of Evangelicals and neo-cons. some day there will be a viable 3rd party, fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and against foreign wars.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Certainly not. If Ron Paul didn't, there's no chance Rand will.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    LOL, if you think Rand is a backbencher, then you aren't paying attention.
    not now of course, but it would be much different if there is a GOP president. of course, if the Dems somehow win, Rand would be a senate leader. I would not be surprised if a GOP president offered Rand a cabinet position to keep him in line. it happened to Jack Kemp.

not likely. he would most likely have to run against a sitting GOP president in 2020, and in 2024 against the sitting VP. the next realistic chance would be 2028. and that assumes wins in the senate races in 2016 and 2022.

Jeb Bush can't beat Hillary. Not a chance. She's still the lesser of two evils compared to another Bush in the minds of most Americans.

I think that if Jeb loses the nomination he will run independent. To me that's what he meant when he said sometimes you gotta lose the primaries to win the presidency. I think Rand will be the nominee, but i think they are going to marginalize the whole republican nomination process as some sort of side show, so their more "evolved" wall street candidate runs against Hillary. Rand needs to prepare for a three way battle, unless the establishment gives in which they wont.
    Last edited by nikcers; 03-28-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Millennial Conservatarian View Post
    Jeb Bush can't beat Hillary. Not a chance. She's still the lesser of two evils compared to another Bush in the minds of most Americans.
    I think you are correct. The only thing in Jeb's favor is Obama fatigue.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

yep.

Would Rand change to Independent if not Republican nominee ?
    Quote Originally Posted by cbc58 View Post
    anyone know?
    He will not.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Nah. The Bush team can't win and hold onto the White House for 12 years. The last 2 VP's haven't been front runners for the presidential nominations anyway.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think you are correct. The only thing in Jeb's favor is Obama fatigue.
    Jeb has the backing of Bibi and the House of Saud. they could easily push oil to $150 barrel , and cause a GOP landslide.

Jeb has the backing of Bibi and the House of Saud. they could easily push oil to $150 barrel , and cause a GOP landslide.
    LOL no Hillary has backing of the House of Saud, I would show you the emails but they are probably deleted. Bush crashing the economy or even coming out and saying that his dad and his brother are dicks is not going to cause 60% of republicans to change their mind about him. The GOP has no chance of winning with any ticket that doesn't have power to win in the purple states.

because most of us have given up on the GOP. the deck is stacked in favor of Evangelicals and neo-cons. some day there will be a viable 3rd party, fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and against foreign wars.
    I don't see why you would want a socially liberal 3rd party. Ron and Rand are both pro life social conservatives.

...And they will get the same minuscule percentage of the vote that Greens and Libertarians get. There are only two courses of action for the political dissident; taking control of one of the two major parties and hoping the tide of "progress" and social decay can be held back for another generation or two, or hastening the collapse and rebuilding afterward. Neither are very optimistic prescriptions, but that's all there is.

Social liberalism is not the same as social libertarianism. Those who believe in decentralized power, market economics and organic communitarianism will never be socially liberal, because the force of progressivism stands in stark opposition to all the values listed above. Any egalitarian ethic requires top-down control and rigid, federal formalization of society.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

I don't see why you would want a socially liberal 3rd party. Ron and Rand are both pro life social conservatives.
    pro-life is a classical liberal civil rights position. I meant the drug war, mandatory minimums, and military empire spending

I meant the drug war, mandatory minimums, and military empire spending
    I see. "Socially liberal" isn't really the best term to describe that philosophy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast