Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: LADIES LOUNGE: Frugal finds, decorating, fun fashion, beauty and thrifting hauls.

My raised bed garden here. There's sweet potato vines, squash, mint, tomatoes and onions in there. Love my mint for my Mojito's. I never use pesticides--my lawn and garden are bird and bee friendly.

Last edited by Terry1; 05-18-2015 at 02:31 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One corner of the backyard.

Okay--all for today. Consider this a break from all of the bad news. I love to look at pics of other people's stuff, it's where I get ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Front of house early Spring 2014. Typical little New England Cape Cod. Got those two wicker chairs for 5 bucks each at a thrift store too.

I love your house! I want something similar, but I long for some nice Southern pillars - plantation style is also a favorite of mine

Those wicker chairs are awesome for $5 each!
    Last edited by Nirvikalpa; 05-18-2015 at 06:54 PM.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    I love your house! I want something similar, but I long for some nice Southern pillars - plantation style is also a favorite of mine

Those wicker chairs are awesome for $5 each!
    Thanks! A lot of people in our neighborhood have replaced their cedar siding with vinyl siding. I want to keep the house original. It's a pain to keep replacing some of the bad shingles on the house, but I'd rather do that than have a cookie cutter house with vinyl on it. Some vinyl siding looks nice though--but I like to keep the wood.
    When we had our roof redone, I wanted something different than everyone else, so I picked those scalloped shaped shangles--as their called--not shingles. Yeah, I would like to extend our front porch out some more and add some really nice pillars later too. It's actually bigger than it looks from the street because it's built into a hillside in the back. We've got about 2200 sq ft with two floors. The basement is unfinished. We didn't finish the basement because then we'd be taxed on "livable sq footage"--the heck with that, our taxes are bad enough as it is. It can stay unfinished--LOL Here's a pic of the back of the house.

Last edited by Terry1; 05-18-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Birdhouse 1 of 4

The birdhouse is decorated recycled, reclaimed, reused material covering a little snap-together Oriental Trading birdhouse.

This is the front:

#NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Bird House 2/4 Side

#NashvilleStrong

Bird House 3/4 Back

#NashvilleStrong

Bird House 4/4 Side 2

#NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    The birdhouse is decorated recycled, reclaimed, reused material covering a little snap-together Oriental Trading birdhouse.

This is the front:

Oh you got the pic! How adorable! I want one!

Thanks! This was a fun project to do, actually. It was a way to help clear out stuff that should have been discarded or used up years ago. I'm ashamed of how many watches with dead batteries were in my jewelry box. The round ornament on the front was one of those freebie key rings, some wire left over from Christmas ornaments, and some beads leftover from a Girl Scout craft. The big heart was from an earring. The tiny heart was from the GS craft. The "sconces" were two burned out Christmas lights glued into two tube beads from an old bracelet, glued on two tiles I found on the floor at work.

The "leather" roof is from two old purses and some watch bands from the watches I had lying around.

The stand was a storage container caddy my husband hated. It spins around. He is happy to have it gone. On one side the faucet-looking thingy is part of the handle from my bathroom cabinet that broke, with a plastic nut that came from an under-sink shelf husband broke.

The paper on the back was off a bar of olive oil soap a friend brought me from Greece. The little owl ornament on one side was also from the soap wrapper. The filigree armlet-inspired piece on the back was from a pin someone gave me. The chains were from part of a belt and a pretend necklace that came on a dress or something.

As much as possible, I tried to use earth-friendly techniques and adhesives, just to make the point.

This was for a contest at work. The prize will buy paint for my living room that hasn't been painted since 2002.
    Last edited by euphemia; 05-18-2015 at 07:54 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

Thanks! This was a fun project to do, actually. It was a way to help clear out stuff that should have been discarded or used up years ago. I'm ashamed of how many watches with dead batteries were in my jewelry box. The round ornament on the front was one of those freebie key rings, some wire left over from Christmas ornaments, and some beads leftover from a Girl Scout craft. The big heart was from an earring. The tiny heart was from the GS craft. The "sconces" were two burned out Christmas lights glued into two tube beads from an old bracelet, glued on two tiles I found on the floor at work.

The "leather" roof is from two old purses and some watch bands from the watches I had lying around.

The stand was a storage container caddy my husband hated. It spins around. He is happy to have it gone. On one side the faucet-looking thingy is part of the handle from my bathroom cabinet that broke, with a plastic nut that came from an under-sink shelf husband broke.

The paper on the back was off a bar of olive oil soap a friend brought me from Greece. The little owl ornament on one side was also from the soap wrapper. The filigree armlet-inspired piece on the back was from a pin someone gave me. The chains were from part of a belt and a pretend necklace that came on a dress or something.

As much as possible, I tried to use earth-friendly techniques and adhesives, just to make the point.

This was for a contest at work. The prize will buy paint for my living room that hasn't been painted since 2002.
    Are you an artist? That is so creative and beautiful! You certainly deserve a prize for that one--I love it. I hear you on painting--I have some ceilings that need to be painted, but it kills my arms using that roller.

Are you an artist? That is so creative and beautiful! You certainly deserve a prize for that one--I love it. I hear you on painting--I have some ceilings that need to be painted, but it kills my arms using that roller.
    I've done ceilings and eaves. I found that the pad things (usually 5x7", but come in various sizes... IDR what the stores call them.) are better than rollers. More comfortable to use and coat more purdy. (quite easy on the arms, too )
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I am not an artist in the way you probably mean. I have a creative bent and I just try things out. Sometimes a project just sings. For this one I just put all the pieces out on a big tray and let them talk to me. I would change them around and see what they said.

Our walls are kind of an apple green right now and I'm worn out with it. I want to go lighter and more neutral this time.
    #NashvilleStrong

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I've done ceilings and eaves. I found that the pad things (usually 5x7", but come in various sizes... IDR what the stores call them.) are better than rollers. More comfortable to use and coat more purdy. (quite easy on the arms, too )
    Do you mean the kind of furry spongy things that are flat? I think that's what you're talking about. I never thought of doing the entire ceiling with them, I always used those for edging and trim. Yeah--just about all of my ceilings need to be redone. I've already done most of the walls downstairs.

I am not an artist in the way you probably mean. I have a creative bent and I just try things out. Sometimes a project just sings. For this one I just put all the pieces out on a big tray and let them talk to me. I would change them around and see what they said.

Our walls are kind of an apple green right now and I'm worn out with it. I want to go lighter and more neutral this time.
    You definitely have an eye for creativity, that's for sure. In my dining room, I went with a Martha Stewart color called Buttercup. It's sort of a creamy pale yellow. I just like color. I'm not a *white wall* kind of person at all.

I grow my own pumpkins every year too.

I love pumpkin. Vitamin A rocks!
    #NashvilleStrong

Check this out. I'm getting one of these for my poochie. Great for the hot days when fido needs to cool off.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/KOOL-...10493522309633

Do you mean the kind of furry spongy things that are flat? I think that's what you're talking about. I never thought of doing the entire ceiling with them, I always used those for edging and trim. Yeah--just about all of my ceilings need to be redone. I've already done most of the walls downstairs.
    Yup. It'll only work on flat ceilings. For the common popcorn ceilings, you have to use brush, roller, or spray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Yup. It'll only work on flat ceilings. For the common popcorn ceilings, you have to use brush, roller, or spray.
    I'll have to go pick some of those up, thanks.

I finally got my new washer and dryer but I ran into another glitch with my laundry closet. I carefully measured the cabinets but I didn't consider how much room the doors would need to open. Now my new cabinets don't open all the way. Mr. Animal was not impressed with my cabinet skills.

I also broke the light kit glass with my head when I was trying to install the aforementioned cabinets.

I'm not sure this new washer is going to work out, I can't figure out how to turn it on.

I'll post photos when I get the countertop in next week.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pretty sure you have a pool, Suz. This thing should really help out with swimsuits/towels and is cheap to run:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use mine quite often.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I finally got my new washer and dryer but I ran into another glitch with my laundry closet. I carefully measured the cabinets but I didn't consider how much room the doors would need to open.
    Almost three years ago we went shopping for a new washer and dryer. I asked husband to please measure the laundry room to make sure we got appliances that actually fit.

We made a choice. Before we paid, I asked, "Are you SURE you measured and that these pieces will fit?" Sure, Honey. They will fit.

On Thursday when the pieces came, the washer fit just fine, but the dryer did. not. fit. through. the door.

Dude, you had one job.

So now I have lovely bi-fold louvered doors to the laundry room, and they are awesome.
    #NashvilleStrong

Do you use a pole?

(Linking to Menards not Home Depot because HD supported Amash's opponent in the primary last time out.)

I stopped at the Asian market yesterday and picked up a great deal on cherries. Sixteen pounds for $5.00 (!!!!!), I bought 4 cases.

Mr Animal loves cherries but he was a little overwhelmed when he saw the beer fridge filled with cherries. He also thinks we're going to get diarrhea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I grow my own pumpkins every year too.
    Been there,,done that.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Took my mom to the doctor and stopped by the thrift store. Not a banner day but I did get a nice pair of Talbot's capris - it's hard to find petites at the thrift store. Spent 6.00 for both things.

And I finally got a mason jar wine glass. Yay!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

And I finally got a mason jar wine glass. Yay!!!

Now that is too cool.

I have Mason Mugs,, and some antique jars.. but not one of those.
    I only have wine very occasionally,, and the wife doesn't like wine.

still,, Too cool.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 06-09-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I'm not sure this new washer is going to work out, I can't figure out how to turn it on.
    God damn computerized washing machines.

I'm buying these next.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast