Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: LADIES LOUNGE: Frugal finds, decorating, fun fashion, beauty and thrifting hauls.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Sounds positively lovely!
    Yes it tis--very lovely indeed. I still want to braid your hair too.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, that's how you cultivate closets full of clothes and accessories you never wear!
    Ut uh...men do that more (at least in my household). There are shirts DH was given for Christmas and birthdays that he has never worn and still have price tags on!

As far as antiques, I love a bargain. Antique furniture was made so much better when people took pride in the craft--today it is press-board loaded with formaldehyde, stain and glued together to last a few years-- made in China. pfffft.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Ut uh...men do that more (at least in my household). There are shirts DH was given for Christmas and birthdays that he has never worn and still have price tags on!

As far as antiques, I love a bargain. Antique furniture was made so much better when people took pride in the craft--today it is press-board loaded with formaldehyde, stain and glued together to last a few years-- made in China. pfffft.

Exactly donnay-- I'd rather own a sturdy well made either retro or antique piece of furniture than I would some of these cheesy Chinese crap they're trying to pass off as furniture. And I hate-hate that particle board furniture. As soon as it gets wet--it's history and they're making so much stuff out of that nowadays too.

I love to repurpose older wood furniture if I can, whether that be to reupholster it or even stain or paint it. It lasts a lifetime.

You know what else I love are the retro fashions. Try buying them online now---they've caught on and people are seeing that retro clothes that Mom or even Grandma wore depending on your age are clothes that were made to last and be refashioned. The zippers, buttons and the fabric on these retro fashions would cost a fortune to buy brand new today. So a lot of young people are snapping them up and look adorable in them too.

Sometimes you can get lucky at estate sales or even yard sales and find them. They're not cheap if buy them online either.

Last edited by Terry1; 03-30-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1 View Post
    Exactly donnay-- I'd rather own a sturdy well made either retro or antique piece of furniture than I would some of these cheesy Chinese crap they're trying to pass off as furniture. And I hate-hate that particle board furniture. As soon as it gets wet--it's history and they're making so much stuff out of that nowadays too.

I love to repurpose older wood furniture if I can, whether that be to reupholster it or even stain or paint it. It lasts a lifetime.

You know what else I love are the retro fashions. Try buying them online now---they've caught on and people are seeing that retro clothes that Mom or even Grandma wore depending on your age are clothes that were made to last and be refashioned. The zippers, buttons and the fabric on these retro fashions would cost a fortune to buy brand new today. So a lot of young people are snapping them up and look adorable in them too.

Sometimes you can get lucky at estate sales or even yard sales and find them. They're not cheap if buy them online either.
    I love vintage clothes. I always look for coats, sundresses, dressy dresses, and sweaters at thrift stores. It's getting harder and harder to find great stuff, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I love vintage clothes. I always look for coats, sundresses, dressy dresses, and sweaters at thrift stores. It's getting harder and harder to find great stuff, though.
    I know, you really have to be a dedicated hunter for this stuff. I have found the most beautiful vintage tablecloths and doily's which I'll get a pic of and show you some day soon here. I've also found some great vintage kitchen aprons that I love to wear too. I've never spent over a 2.00 for most of this stuff. I hit the mother-load one day when one of my older rich neighbors moved and had her estate sale though. I literally went nuts and ended up having to haggle with another lady over some vintage curtains, but I won because I had to have them and still at a great bargain.

Me too. Always have. Back in the '80's I found a pair of clam diggers that made my legs look awesome. I was the only person wearing them. By the time fashion brought them back as capris in the 00's, I hated the way I looked in them now so I never bought any.

I have been losing weight, and I have a shirt that I thrifted that probably is 50's / 60's. It's my inspiration right now. The collar on it you just won't find anywhere right now.

Here's a little feel good video though!
    This California teen, Cassie, was given a dress when she was a little girl for "dress up" -- but her family decided to keep it safe for something a little more special. It was her grandma Dottie's prom dress from 1957

Last edited by angelatc; 03-30-2015 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Me too. Always have. Back in the '80's I found a pair of clam diggers that made my legs look awesome. I was the only person wearing them. By the time fashion brought them back as capris in the 00's, I hated the way I looked in them now so I never bought any.

I have been losing weight, and I have a shirt that I thrifted that probably is 50's / 60's. It's my inspiration right now. The collar on it you just won't find anywhere right now.

Here's a little feel good video though! .

OMG! that was priceless! Grandma was crying and her Grand daughter looked adorable in that dress!

Eagles' Wings

Great find this weekend at a sale benefitting our local animal shelter.

Super heavy, hard-wood, butcher block cabinet for the kitchen. Tons of storage.

At $40.00 it was a bargain and then a great surprise, within five minutes of being there it was noon and everything was half-price.

Cleaned it up and it is just beautiful. Used a home-made spray that a friend makes, with vinegar and orange oil. Took the gunk off and it shines like new.

Simple pleasures are the best.

Point of order:

That's not me doing that, it's well meaning but out of touch folks buying shirts and what not, that do not fit.

The Wiscassett Waterville and Farmington cap was a hit this year though.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-30-2015 at 10:06 PM.

I want to see high wasted pants come back...these hip huggers were disgusting then, they are even more disgusting now.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I want to see high wasted pants come back...these hip huggers were disgusting then, they are even more disgusting now.
    Mrs. AF was wearing suede boots and cover-alls, the first time we met.

LOL

ETA - I agree though.

This > Muffin tops and ass cracks.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-30-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

LOL

ETA - I agree though.

How else can these girls show their tramp stamps?

LOL

ETA - I agree though.

+rep. You have fine taste in female derrieres brother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I still have a pair of Calvin Klein jeans from the 80s that have the high waist. Unfortunately they don't fit anymore.

I think they look okay on women with the bodies that look good in them. It's the (should I say, larger gals) that need to stay out of them. I can't stand to see women pouring themselves into clothes with rolls of flab hanging out, yet you see it every day. Common fashion sense isn't common--lol

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I still have a pair of Calvin Klein jeans from the 80s that have the high waist. Unfortunately they don't fit anymore.
    I have some expensive jeans that I just refuse to let go of, even though they're now too tight. I keep hoping that I might be able to get back into them some day soon.

I have some expensive jeans that I just refuse to let go of, even though they're now too tight. I keep hoping that I might be able to get back into them some day soon.

I think I have several sizes lol. I tend to hang on to them as well.

Noooooo. I hated that style. I'm short waisted and they came up under my boobs. I like the stuff that sits lower on the hip - just below the belly button.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think they look okay on women with the bodies that look good in them. It's the (should I say, larger gals) that need to stay out of them. I can't stand to see women pouring themselves into clothes with rolls of flab hanging out, yet you see it every day. Common fashion sense isn't common--lol
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Terry1 again.
    OMG, ya...I see this all the time in the general public. Fortunately, dancer ladies are very rarely heavier than pleasantly plump/curvy, so I get enough eye candy to cope with the rest of teh world.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Noooooo. I hated that style. I'm short waisted and they came up under my boobs. I like the stuff that sits lower on the hip - just below the belly button.
    You could just call them mini overalls.

The problem is even thin girls look portly and nothing about these clothes are appealing and complimenting to them.

The other thing I cannot stand is pregnant women wearing T-shirts stretched over their bellies like they couldn't afford maternity clothes. /rant

Well they should make long torso and short torso high wasted pants! Dammit!

There's a company called Not Your Daughters Jeans that makes higher waisted but they aren't cheap. I wear Levi's mid rise

This subject can't possibly be exhausted already...can it?

Well they should make long torso and short torso high wasted pants! Dammit!
    This style fits my body the best. Try Lands End, I love their clothes, and they usually come in different fits - they have high waist pants.

Not-too-low rise fit

Fit 1 Low Rise: Sits below the waist
    Slim through the hip and thigh
    Slim leg fits closely from thigh to hem
    Pre-hemmed inseams: Regular 30”, 32”; Petite 26”, 28”; Tall 34”, 36”; Plus 28”, 30”, 32”

High waist

Fit 3 High Rise: Sits at the waist
    Relaxed through hip and thigh
    Straight leg is not too wide, not too narrow
    Pre-hemmed inseams: Regular 30”, 32”; Petite 26”, 28”; Plus 28”, 30”, 32”

Point of order:

That's not me doing that, it's well meaning but out of touch folks buying shirts and what not, that do not fit.

The Wiscassett Waterville and Farmington cap was a hit this year though.

Thanks!
    I hate it when people buy me clothes. My mom used to buy me all kinds of bedazzled crap with appliques on it - wtf? She doesn't even wear that $#@!.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    OMG, ya...I see this all the time in the general public. Fortunately, dancer ladies are very rarely heavier than pleasantly plump/curvy, so I get enough eye candy to cope with the rest of teh world.
    Yeah--I like to dress casual most of the time. I'm not a teenager any more and I realize that. I try to dress comfortable, but with some style that says--"yes, I do have a brain and I actually like to use it". Lol As we age and our bodies change--we need to acknowledge that and dress with dignity. It's just a thing I have when I see so many ladies who refuse to accept the fact that they have a gut and flab in their tight T shirts and jeans.

Last edited by Terry1; 04-01-2015 at 07:07 AM.

Holy Smoke...and I thought I was being spendthrift, buying $90 Ray Bans.

Carry on, ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    They're sensible shoppers, you're a frugal shopper. I'm a serious, straight up, tight ass. Lol.
    Yeah. I buy sunglasses at the dollar store. They're not prescription.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I hate it when people buy me clothes. My mom used to buy me all kinds of bedazzled crap with appliques on it - wtf? She doesn't even wear that $#@!.
    LMAO! Yeah--I've already told everyone--never buy me clothes.

Remember these? This is what I wore back in the 70's with a halter top and platform shoes--LOl

Last edited by Terry1; 04-01-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast