Thread: No Seedlings This Year

No Seedlings This Year

I've always started off my vegetable garden with seedlings grown indoors. This year I was just too busy at work. The weather has been terribly wet for the last month. So as soon as we got a break where I could actually till my garden, I just over-planted a ton of seeds and plan on thinning things out after they've sprouted. I'm hoping we won't have a situation like last year with freezes all the way into April. That is, on average, a freak occurrence.

I planted:

onions
    brussel sprouts
    carrots
    sugar snap peas
    cucumbers
    3 types of tomatoes
    jalepenos
    okra
    bell peppers
    hungarian hot wax peppers
    cayenne peppers
    2 types of squash
    zucchini

I still have room (and plans) to plant:

sweet corn
    green beans
    eggplant

What are you growing?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well it is snowing here , so , only potatoes and onions so far , got some new chicks ( 2 or 3 weeks old now) under some 90 Watt light bulbs and some one foot high tomatoes indoors.Probably get some more chicks a week from now.

Hm. It must be warming up out that way, I suppose. I sure wish it were getting warm here. We had a couple of nice days but I was stuck inside pulling my hair out with that dumb old version of Office. I kept looking out my window and was thinking it sure would be nice cleaning up the ground out there. I might just do a couple of raised bed gardens. I don't know.

I'm tired of just planting tomatoes too. Have to think of something new.

One thing I did do last year was that I snipped off a bunch of baby branches off of my butterfly bushes and stuck them in the ground. They actually made new plants so that'll be nice if they make a new hedge line or something. Plus, I like the butterflies and hummingbirds.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 03-27-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Hm. It must be warming up out that way, I suppose. I sure wish it were getting warm here.
    Yeah it's already been up in the 80's for a couple of days. No freezes predicted in the 10 day forecast. I figure if some plants come up and a freak freeze happens, I can put a tarp over them to mitigate it.

I do need to get my hummingbird feeder out Mon or so . Tomorrow ,firing up the heat in the outbuilding , pulling the battery out of a tractor for replacement , filling the bird feeder , sowing some grass seed ,picking up another ham , cleaning out the chick residence ,thawing out a whole chicken to cook Sun...... another boring but restful Sat.Be glad when it warms up.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Well it is snowing here , so , only potatoes and onions so far , got some new chicks ( 2 or 3 weeks old now) under some 90 Watt light bulbs and some one foot high tomatoes indoors.Probably get some more chicks a week from now.
    I think next year I'll try potatoes. I've never tried that. It's really too late for me this year.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    What are you growing?
    Pretty much everything on your list, though we go a bit simple on hot peppers, which include habaneros, ghosts, Trinidad scorpions, morugas, birds, Thai missiles, and the best of the best, wiri-wiri. The latter, while as hot as an habanero... maybe a bit spicier, has vastly greater flavor. They are fruity and flowery and make the best sauce on the planet.

Beets, four varieties of potatoes, Artichokes, bora (long bean from Guyana), same (another Guyana bean), kale, mustard, broccoli, cauliflower, all manner of herbs such as marjoram, oregano, garlic, wormwood, thyme, basil, bee balm, bergamot (monarda), catnip, lavender mint, spearmint, black peppermint, calendula, lavender, patchouli, and others.

We got seed out of Germany for a climbing zucchini. Should be interesting to see how those turn out.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I think next year I'll try potatoes. I've never tried that. It's really too late for me this year.
    Not too late. If you have loose soil, potatoes will do fine. I just lay them in a very shallow row and heap the earth on top. At season we just kick the soil and there are the little darlings. We get 50# sacks of seed potatoes for about $23. Planted some in the fall... shall see how they wintered. Should be coming up soon-ish.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am growing tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, broccoli , lettuce, sweet peas, green beans, beets, onions, garlic, spinach, watermelon, cantaloupe,butter beans, fava beans, oregano, basil, chamomile, thyme, parsley, lavender, rosemary, blueberries, black berries, chickens for eggs, dogs to keep the foxes, coons and possums away from chickens, peaches, apples, and lots and lots of flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    fava beans

I would grow collared greens and kale, maybe some chard. Cook all that $#@! in some grass fed butter, garlic, salt and pepper. You can cover them with screen door screen to help prevent from burning and save on waterings, just put some posts around the four corners.

And sweet potatoes.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Ugggh. I hate these threads but I'm compelled to read them... There should be a support group for gardeners that starts meeting around December and goes until a few weeks after the last frost date. I go to work and all I can think about are plants. I get in bed and think about plants until I fall asleep and then I dream about them. I won't be content until everything is in the ground.

On a side note, I'm having a workshop built. Apparently I have about 4 ft of top soil which is great, until you try and build on it. It's like walking on a sponge. Luckily they found the good ole Tennessee red clay just below 4 ft. The footers have now been poured and the block work starts today!

I've started my seedlings but haven't been able to move them outside yet.

I've got 4 varieties of peppers, 2 kinds of leaf lettuce, 2 kinds of onions, broccoli, tomatoes, and some dragon tongue beans my son picked out. Oh, and some marigolds started to keep the bugs away.

They're all lining my south-facing windows and they're all progressing nicely. I was hoping to start moving some this weekend, but that's not happening. Too much snow on the ground. Hell, the leaf lettuce is almost ready to start picking! Once I start introducing them to the outside, I'll throw in a couple more veggies. This is the first garden at the new homestead, so there's going to be some trial and error.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I got some San Marzano tomatoes that I want to grow for my pizzas..... What else.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I would grow mustard greens, collard greens and kale , maybe some chard. Cook all that $#@! in some salt pork grass fed butter, garlic, salt and pepper .
    FIFY

Not too late, use whiskey barrels or some kind of containers. I have potatoes growing like that. I also have garlic growing in containers. Onions work well too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    FIFY
    Heh. Collard greens and fatback used to be a regular thing when I was growing up. I forget what it tastes like but I know I always had seconds.

You know, the first day where I truly don't have anything to do, its 30 degrees out. You guys with this 80 degree weather out there...

Heh. Collard greens and fatback used to be a regular thing when I was growing up. I forget what it tastes like but I know I always had seconds.
    Mustards and collards

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	3970

I cannot remember where he got them, but my husband grew some Armenian cucumbers a few years back.. darn things grew to like 3' long.. they were awesome!
    I seem to have a brown arm when it comes to growing things.. even a plant called mother-in-laws tongue dies when I care for it.
    The only thing I can grow successfully with any reliability is mold on leftovers.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

The suggested dates for planting potatoes here is over a month and a half ago. Apparently we have too hot of a climate. I'll try next year.

I'm going to have a mess this year. lol I already have tons of volunteer plants coming up before the seeds I planted. I'm sure with some of them I'll let them grow but most are coming on too thick. (Composting + late tilling = a carpet of volunteer). Now I'm thinking I should have just tried a volunteer garden this year...

I started all my tomatoes inside and had them out on the porch. The damn wind tipped them over so I've restarted them in a more secure location. I'll be behind, but thats ok.

On a second note, seeds are damn expensive. I got some Early Girl and there was a whopping 18 seeds in a $1.80 pack. Nearly highway robbery.

bush peas are up about 6 inches now...spuds planted last week...as soon as soil warms up a few more degrees, squash, and MAYBE corn and pole beans next...i have around 2500 sq. ft. of garden to play with. Weather in the Seattle area has been un-seasonably warm this year, so i'm counting on a very healthy crop of summer veggies to kick ass...my freezer has plenty of room now...

LETS GET IT ON BABY!!

I'm getting ready to go out and roll my lawn while its at that point of not too wet and not too dry. Likely, I'll only be growing grass this year now. Ah well.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know, the first day where I truly don't have anything to do, its 30 degrees out. You guys with this 80 degree weather out there...
    Woke up to snow again this morning. Bought a couple lavender plants yesterday. Been a long, cold winter and have my doubts he two I bought last year will come up again. We have a row of butterfly bushes too, out in the front of the house. Last house I planted them near the children's playground set, duh! They were not happy with me. (The children that is, the bees were ecstatic)
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle