Thread: The art and grace of frugal living with Clara's depression cooking

The art and grace of frugal living with Clara's depression cooking

Can't remember if I've ever shared this before, but I found this lady on youtube looking for recipes one day and fell in love with her videos. Clara's first vid was made when she was 91 years old and tells her stories about living during the depression. She talks about how they literally had to make something from nothing, but her recipes are simple, healthy and delicious. One of my favorites is her eggs, peppers and homemade bread recipe. Her grandson Christopher helped her make these videos and she is absolutely precious. Clara is no longer in this world, but her videos and stories live on. She also has a book called Depression Cooking and has been featured on the food network before and received funds from Paula Deen. for many of her recipes.

Even if you don't need to be frugal, Clara's stories that take you on a journey back in time are beautiful and amazing.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cool, I'll take a look. I bought an old cookbook at the thrift store once and it's my favorite thing to look at. It's great. It shows you how to butcher animals and it has recipes for possum and raccoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Cool, I'll take a look. I bought an old cookbook at the thrift store once and it's my favorite thing to look at. It's great. It shows you how to butcher animals and it has recipes for possum and raccoon.
    LOL--great to know if the zombie apocalypse hits. If you love being frugal--you'll love Clara's stories. I bought her book on Amazon. Some of the foods she talked about that they prepared out of burdock weed, dandy lion salads and stuff she would pick on her way home from school. Wait till you see how simple she makes homemade bread. It's the second part of this vid I put up. I've already made a lot of her recipes and they are good.

She talks about the hard times they endured and what they had to do to stretch a dollar--amazing.