Thread: School named after war hero forces child to shave off military-style haircut

School named after war hero forces child to shave off military-style haircut

Adam Stinnett looks up to his older stepbrother – a soldier in the U.S. Army. So when it came time to get a haircut, the seven-year-old told his mother he wanted a basic military-style cut. And that’s exactly what he got – high and tight – just like his stepbrother.

Adam got his haircut on March 8. On March 9, his mother got a letter from the principal of Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary School in McMinnville, Tennessee.

It seems they were not all that thrilled with the second grader’s new hairdo. The principal told Amy Stinnett that her son’s haircut was distracting – and needed to be fixed.

The principal told Amy Stinnett that her son’s haircut was distracting – and needed to be fixed

Amy refused to comply.

The following day, she was summoned to the principal’s office where she was given an ultimatum.

“We were told that we had to either cut his hair or he could not return to school,” she said.

Amy tried to explain to the principal that her son’s haircut was meant to emulate his older brother. But her explanation was dismissed and the principal demanded that the boy’s hair be “in compliance with our rules.”

“I have the utmost respect for the military and its members,” the principal wrote in an email to Amy. “However, we are not a military school and the boy’s haircut is against our rules.”

She tried to reason with the principal – but it was a lost cause. So Amy complied with the school’s demands.

“In order to fix the high and tight, I had to shave his head – like he has no hair,” she told me.

Apparently the principal at Bobby Ray Elementary School doesn’t seem to think a bald-headed second grader is going to cause a distraction.

But Amy also did something else – she contacted the Southern Standard newspaper. And as it turned out – the pen really is mightier than the clippers.

“Military hair cut deemed distracting by Bobby Ray Elementary” was the headline – and boy did it create some controversy around McMinnville.

“They shamed my son and they shamed a lot of military people – that’s how I feel about it,” Amy said. She also would like the school to apologize to her son.

The Warren County School District responded to the newspaper story with a four-paragraph statement telling folks they could not comment on the incident or the investigation – on the advice of their attorneys.

“This is an internal school matter and the administration of the school district has been advised to address it as such from this point forward,” the statement read.

While the district does not have a policy about hair styles, individual schools are given authority to make such decisions.

“Neither Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary, nor any school in Warren County School District, prohibits military haircuts,” the statement declares.

Well, someone at the district office might want to clue in the principal -- because according to her email – military style haircuts are clearly against the rules.

It’s a pretty sad state of affairs in McMinnville – especially when you take into account that Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary School is named after a local war hero.

Navy Corpsman David Robert “Bobby” Ray was killed in action during the Vietnam War. His final act of heroism was to use his body to shield a Marine from a grenade. The Marine survived. Ray did not. He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

“We are extremely proud that Bobby Ray Memorial Elementary was named in honor of a true American hero,” the school district stated.

And yet, they chose to shame a seven-year-old boy who wanted to look like a soldier. That school district doesn’t know the first thing about honor.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...style-haircut/
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How bizarre. Everyone on the football team had that haircut when I was in school.

Compliance Über Alles.

Alles ist in Ordnung.

Lol....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

@gunny ha! that's the look on my face!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Private Pyle is someone the boy oughta emulate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Easy choice , do not comply with nutjobs and child does not return to care of nutjobs.Increases chances for child to be greater. Drop him by my place , he can plant potatoes and I will teach him to poach fish from the Kings land and give him a tomahawk, nobody cares what his hair looks like,LOL

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Easy choice , do not comply with nutjobs and child does not return to care of nutjobs.Increases chances for child to be greater. Drop him by my place , he can plant potatoes and I will teach him to poach fish from the Kings land and give him a tomahawk, nobody cares what his hair looks like,LOL
    One of these days, I hope to make the pilgrimage to the Uncle Oyarde homestead to learn those sort of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I don't understand why she complied, tell them to do what they need to do, but don't shave your kids head and comply.

The more people just go along with these detention centers, the more they'll keep pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    One of these days, I hope to make the pilgrimage to the Uncle Oyarde homestead to learn those sort of things.

Oyarde-hoo!
    FJB

And yet, they chose to shame a seven-year-old boy who wanted to look like a soldier.
    Haircut? If the kid wanted to look like a soldier he should have blown off his junk instead.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    sounds like our school. Number 8 child who will be turning 4 this year is rather adamant he does not do hair cuts. I believe this would likely be an enormous problem were he to be incarcerated within the public education system in the not so distant future thanks to compulsory education mandates. Good thing for him we homeschool...
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

fa$hion police much?
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Schools teach State Worship and Obedience, not Math.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I don't get it? What is distracting about that? And why should a school have any say in a first amendment issue?

Short haircut (military style)=bad

Skin Head haircut=OK

I had long blond hair and an ROTC uniform..

and for a while,, Green hair.. I also tried a Mohawk (which was ahead of it's time)

If hairstyle is distracting,, the school curriculum must be incredibly boring.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 03-27-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had to shave my head for getting a German style "high and tight." While in the Navy. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I had to shave my head for getting a German style "high and tight." While in the Navy. Go figure.

Another inch and a half off the top and the Marine Corps would call that a "Medium Regulation" haircut. Only problem I see in that picture is the stuff on top is a little too long.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Another inch and a half off the top and the Marine Corps would call that a "Medium Regulation" haircut. Only problem I see in that picture is the stuff on top is a little too long.
    Yeah. Pretty sure that's what they dinged us on. Had just watched the 1983 horror movie "The Keep" with a bud and we went for a Major Kaempffer cut. Lol.

So the commandant of Bobby Ray Elementary School did not approve of a military style haircut. I wonder if he would object to hair down to the shoulders on a boy.

In schools that require wearing school uniforms, the uniform itself represents being stripped of ones individuality.

Haircuts and mandatory hair styles are nothing more than an extension of stripping individuals of that same individuality, but seems to only apply to the ones that express any of that real individuality or are inclined to disobey. When the students begin to recognize that this manifestation of authority is merely an extension of abuse, they begin to rebel, and that manifests itself in many different ways. Some wasy are reflected in the personality, while others come out in creative expressions such as clothing or hair styles. Hence, stripping that sense of individuality is an effort to cull all rebelious tendancies. I have a wildly different idea, let people become who and what they want to become and embrace their individuality. Treat people, especially kids, with respect and practice what we preach. If schools were more about comprehension, any expression of individuality would not be crushed, but schools are not about comprehension, they are about supression of comprehension at every opportunity. Think what you are told to think and do not challenge authority. Repeat what you are told without understanding why you are told to do it in a certain way. Should these things ever be reversed in public schools, the result would be each individual having an increased interest in everything in the world.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Because a bald 7 year old won't be a distraction at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Because a bald 7 year old won't be a distraction at all.
    Totally! Oh, and we shouldnt let any kids that undergo Chemo go to school either cuz they are all Contagious as well as distracting!

SMH
    1776 > 1984

It's a very mainstream haircut. I work in travel and tourism, and I see it on men and boys all the time.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.