Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doug Wead: The difference between Rand Paul and Ted Cruz

Doug Wead: The difference between Rand Paul and Ted Cruz

The difference between Rand Paul and Ted Cruz

by Doug Wead
    March 25, 2015

So what’s the difference between presidential candidates Rand Paul and Ted Cruz?

Ted Cruz is running against Barack Obama. Rand Paul is running against Hillary Clinton. One represents the past. The other represents the future.

Both men are U.S. Senators running for president in 2016. Rand Paul is from Kentucky, Ted Cruz is from Texas. (Rand Paul is expected to announce on April 7, 2015.)

Both men are conservatives whose careers were launched during the rise of the Tea Party. Both are born again Christians. And both signed the controversial Senate letter supporting Israel. So if they have the same base of support, what’s the difference?

Rand Paul excites that base and motivates them to action. Ted Cruz has all but given up on that base and is focusing exclusively and only on born again Christians. He is betting that he will take that vote, and only that vote, and win it all. It is a high stakes gamble that counts on driving out of the way born again Christians such as Rick Perry, Mike Huckabee, Marco Rubio and yes even Rand Paul.

Bottom line, Rand Paul can win a national election. Ted Cruz cannot. Early polling bears that out. Polls can be fickle and don’t always reflect reality this far in advance but most polls show only Rand Paul close to Hillary Clinton in any of the battleground states. Not Bush, Christie, Rubio, Perry, Huckabee and not Cruz.

read more:
    https://dougwead.wordpress.com/2015/...-and-ted-cruz/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ted Cruz is basically the Cuban/Canadian version of Rick Perry or Mike Huckabee.
    “When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!”
    ― Andrew Jackson

There are ways to criticize Cruz without mentioning his wife or her occupation. I just find it to be distasteful, and I didn't expect Doug Wead to use that as a way to discredit Cruz. Idk if it's just me bothered by it...

Quote Originally Posted by DP714 View Post
    There are ways to criticize Cruz without mentioning his wife or her occupation. I just find it to be distasteful, and I didn't expect Doug Wead to use that as a way to discredit Cruz. Idk if it's just me bothered by it...
    I think it was very tasteful in that instead of just mud slinging the word "unelectable" he basically qualified the remark with an explanation. This is so they cant take what he is saying out of context. This is so they don't pigeon hole Rand into the same status as Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    The video of Rand was rather cringeworthy when he talks about faith. Particularly, when he says that he doubted his faith because of the things he saw in his medical practice. If I was one of Rand's advisors, I would tell him not to strike a doubtful tone with faith. Talk about how he saw God bring good even out of the suffering of men. Talk about how his volunteer medicine around the world has strengthened his faith and brought joy to others. These are the things that are going to register with evangelicals.

Rand needs to channel this kind of cheerful giving spirit when he talks about his medical practice:
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 03-26-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    The video of Rand was rather cringeworthy when he talks about faith. Particularly, when he says that he doubted his faith because of the things he saw in his medical practice. If I was one of Rand's advisors, I would tell him not to strike a doubtful tone with faith. Talk about how he saw God bring good even out of the suffering of men. Talk about how his volunteer medicine around the world has strengthened his faith and brought joy to others. These are the things that are going to register with evangelicals.
    It's not really a doubtful tone if he says he's still a Christian. Heaven forbid he admit that like most people his faith hasn't always been a cakewalk. How is that cringeworthy -- even pastors will talk about their own past faith struggles. I suppose if honesty really does strike a wrong chord with evangelicals though, then I guess it should be avoided...
    Last edited by Crashland; 03-26-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    It's not really a doubtful tone if he says he's still a Christian. Heaven forbid he admit that like most people his faith hasn't always been a cakewalk. How is that cringeworthy -- even pastors will talk about their own past faith struggles. I suppose if honesty really does strike a wrong chord with evangelicals though, then I guess it should be avoided...
    Sir, you are an atheist. You've said that you "were a Christian" but you lost your faith. I can see how this kind of doubtfulness would be acceptable to you, but I was talking about people who have faith and have perseverance to run the race. You've already lost the race...you didn't have the perseverance of faith (which means you never a Christian in the first place). I'm just talking about things that evangelicals would respond to.

Sir, you are an atheist. You've said that you "were a Christian" but you lost your faith. I can see how this kind of doubtfulness would be acceptable to you, but I was talking about people who have faith and have perseverance to run the race. You've already lost the race...you didn't have the perseverance of faith (which means you never a Christian in the first place). I'm just talking about things that evangelicals would respond to.
    Oh, please. Save the "you failed and you were never a Christian" for the religion forum. That has nothing to do with it. As I already said, many pastors will talk about their spiritual journey. And anyone who says they have never experienced periods of doubt is probably lying. Most evangelical Christians in my experience like to listen and share testimonies, and very few testimonies go like "My spiritual journey has always been easy. The end." The kinds of testimonies that people should like are ones where someone has overcome hardship and where their faith hasn't always been easy. Like Rand's. But, maybe it doesn't strike people that way. I would be disappointed if evangelicals as a group are unable to swallow that, but I'll leave that up to the experts. You could be right, I don't know.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    Oh, please. Save the "you failed and you were never a Christian" for the religion forum. That has nothing to do with it. As I already said, many pastors will talk about their spiritual journey. And anyone who says they have never experienced periods of doubt is probably lying. Most evangelical Christians in my experience like to listen and share testimonies, and very few testimonies go like "My spiritual journey has always been easy. The end." The kinds of testimonies that people should like are ones where someone has overcome hardship and where their faith hasn't always been easy. Like Rand's. But, maybe it doesn't strike people that way. I would be disappointed if evangelicals as a group are unable to swallow that, but I'll leave that up to the experts. You could be right, I don't know.
    Sir, you responded to my statement and I answered back. If you watched the video in the article, it was all about faith. This is directly appropriate to the thread and the topic of the article in the OP.

The revealing moment comes at 5:48 - "Tens of thousands of years"? His calendar is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt1225 View Post
    Ted Cruz is basically the Cuban/Canadian version of Rick Perry or Mike Huckabee.
    lol, no.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    lol, no.
    No? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

The revealing moment comes at 5:48 - "Tens of thousands of years"? His calendar is broken.
    Yes. If I was advising Rand, that's a thing I would tell him to be unsure on.

Why? Denying basic facts isn't a recipe for success.

He probably just shouldn't talk about it, because the mainstream media will eat anyone alive who doubts the theory of evolution and an old earth. But I think that more and more Americans are beginning to understanding what a complete farce the entire theory of evolution is. It simply has no basis in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    He probably just shouldn't talk about it, because the mainstream media will eat anyone alive who doubts the theory of evolution and an old earth. But I think that more and more Americans are beginning to understanding what a complete farce the entire theory of evolution is. It simply has no basis in fact.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evo...nt-design.aspx

People who don't believe evolution have remained constant. There has been a trade off between people who think God guided evolution (decreasing) and people who believe in evolution sans God (increasing).

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
    The religion of evolution is not "basic fact". It is a unproven and unobserved religion imposed on "the facts".

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

So how long do you believe the family to have been around? Longer? Less time? From a secularist point of view human civilization is only "tens of thousands of years" old.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...00-years-or-so

From a literal biblical "Count the generations" view it's less than 10,000. I doubt the average Christian voter will care.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

The age of humanity isn't a "basic fact." It's a moving target. And in the interview Rand wasn't asked about the age of the human family. He volunteered that bit to make a point. He could have made the same point by saying "The human family has been around for thousands of years" and nobody could argue against that one way or another. That said, no big deal.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

The religion of evolution is not "basic fact". It is a unproven and unobserved religion imposed on "the facts".
    I wasn't talking about evolution. I'm talking about the tens of thousands of years comments. When polled without any religious context only about 1 in 10 will agree with the statement that humanity is less than 10,000 years old.

There is a myriad of evidence that proves that humans have been around 150k-200k years. I'm not really willing to debate this any further. Nor will I debate whether the Earth is flat or spherical.

But it's really bad political strategy, regardless of your view of the Earth's and humanity's age.

I wasn't talking about evolution. I'm talking about the tens of thousands of years comments. When polled without any religious context only about 1 in 10 will agree with the statement that humanity is less than 10,000 years old.
    The second poll down from Gallup shows that 46% of Americans believe that God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

http://www.pollingreport.com/science.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DP714 View Post
    Anytime a politician has family or business ties to interests that have historically led to "conflicts of interest", a big red Star Cluster should go up and it should be brought up to the N'th degree.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Sir, you responded to my statement and I answered back. If you watched the video in the article, it was all about faith. This is directly appropriate to the thread and the topic of the article in the OP.
    You keep ignoring the actual points I am making and focusing on my atheism. My own atheism has nothing to do with it, I am talking about evangelicals which obviously doesn't include me.

Life, Liberty, Logic

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The second poll down from Gallup shows that 46% of Americans believe that God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

http://www.pollingreport.com/science.htm
    Correct, because they don't want to seem or feel like bad Christians. As I said, when asked in a non-religious context with no mention of God or religion in the survey, only about 10% will agree that humanity is less than 10,000 years old.

It goes to show you how subjective polling is based on how questions are asked.

There is a myriad of evidence that proves that humans have been around 150k-200k years. I'm not really willing to debate this any further. Nor will I debate whether the Earth is flat or spherical.

But it's really bad political strategy, regardless of your view of the Earth's and humanity's age.

Talk about an apples to oranges comparison. You have no idea how old man is, or the age of the earth.

Correct, because they don't want to seem or feel like bad Christians. As I said, when asked in a non-religious context with no mention of God or religion in the survey, only about 10% will agree that humanity is less than 10,000 years old.

It goes to show you how subjective polling is based on how questions are asked.
    Oh....they don't believe the Bible, they just don't want to be "bad Christians". Ok dude, whatever.

Oh....they don't believe the Bible, they just don't want to be "bad Christians". Ok dude, whatever.
    Since the early 1980s, the National Science Board has asked Americans if they accept the idea that the continents have been moving for millions of years — and 80 percent agree. Ten percent say they don’t know, and only another ten percent firmly reject it.

So we both know and accept that the majority of people don't believe in a young Earth right?

This is a pointless debate. Young people are increasingly rejecting young Earth beliefs. Thank goodness Rand is a man of science.

Talk about an apples to oranges comparison. You have no idea how old man is, or the age of the earth.
    I'm truly ashamed to admit that I once shared and even ardently defended your beliefs.

Thank goodness Rand is a man of science.
    Why do you say that? Rand was getting criticized on this thread for saying that man has only been around for tens of thousands of years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast