Thread: 2016 brawl breaks out on Senate floor

2016 brawl breaks out on Senate floor

2016 brawl breaks out on Senate floor

By Manu Raju - 3/26/15

The 2016 Republican nomination contest spilled onto the Senate floor Thursday, turning a marathon budget debate into a battle over which candidate is prepared to lead the country at a time of war.

Four GOP senators are trying to gain the upper hand on the commander-in-chief test — Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Lindsey Graham — and their competition was on vivid display as the Senate took up a Rubio plan to pump tens of billions of dollars more into the Pentagon budget. Sen. Rand Paul blasted the idea because the new spending wasn’t offset by other cuts. And caught in the middle was Cruz, who’s pitching himself as a fiscal conservative who can appeal to the hawkish and libertarian wings of the GOP but ultimately sided with Rubio and Graham.

In an interview with POLITICO, Paul lambasted his foes for engaging in “reckless” and “irresponsible” behavior, showing that they lacked the “courage” and conviction to rein in the country’s mountain of debt. He said there are now two camps in the GOP primary field: One that cares about the debt, and another that does not.

“I think there are a great deal of problems for people who want to argue that they are fiscal conservatives and yet would simply borrow hundreds of billions of dollars for defense,” Paul said. “I think it is irresponsible and dangerous to the country to borrow so much money to add into defense.”

The tough words came in the aftermath of two votes that both failed Thursday, one proposed by Rubio that would raise defense spending — with no corresponding cuts — and another by Paul that would cut tens of billions from a range of different accounts.
    As the Rubio plan was moving forward, Cruz was clearly torn. The Texas senator stood quietly at the well of the Senate chamber for several tense minutes, reading the text of the Rubio amendment and checking his smartphone.

Finally, with his colleagues watching, Cruz gave a thumbs-up sign, siding with Rubio in the growing debate inside the party between fiscal hardliners and defense hawks that has dominated the GOP’s budget fight.
    The deliberations on defense spending were the latest sign of jockeying among the Republican senators running for the White House. They’re pushing proposals and casting votes to bolster their messages — and keeping a close eye on the others’ every move.

Rubio has increasingly pushed for a larger and more robust U.S. presence worldwide, aligning himself with the likes of a leading GOP defense hawk, Graham, who is also weighing a 2016 run.
    And then there’s Paul: As a libertarian-minded Republican who pushes for a less aggressive U.S. presence worldwide, his biggest hurdle as a national candidate is selling himself as a viable leader of the military.
    “I think it was irresponsible and dangerous … and an inconsistent theme for anybody who wants to say that they are concerned about the debt,” Paul said in the interview. “I think it shows a lack of concern about the debt. I think it was a very, very important vote to see the contrast of the two different approaches.”
    But Paul added: “I think if you want to add money to defense, the difficult vote is mine. And it shows that there is not a great deal of courage out there among people. They went the easy way. They want to keep borrowing it. And that is a great danger for our country.”
    More: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...et-116434.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...fense-spending

A bid from Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) to increase defense spending was turned aside in the Senate on Thursday.

Senators voted 4-96 on overriding a point of order Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) raised on Paul's amendment. Sixty votes were needed to overcome the procedural hurdle. Republican Sens. Mitch McConnell (Ky.), Rand Paul (Ky.), Mike Enzi (Wyo.) and David Vitter (La.) voted to move forward with Paul's amendment.

Paul, a likely presidential candidate in 2016, said ahead of the vote that he wanted to pay for the $190 billion increase in defense funds "with spending cuts."
    "It is irresponsible and dangerous to continue to put America further into debt even for something we need. We need national defense, but we should pay for it," he said ahead of the vote. "America does not project power from bankruptcy court."

Sanders slammed Paul's amendment, saying the additional cuts would be "devastating to the working families in this country."

Paul's amendment followed a vote on an amendment from Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), another 2016 contender, that also would have increased defense spending. Paul voted against that amendment, and it failed.
    So Ted Cruz agrees with Bernie Sanders that Rand's proposed cuts would be "devastating to the working families in this country?" Ha! Cruz/Sanders 2016.

Brawl...pfft.

Let me know when the dueling pistols come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Brawl...pfft.

Let me know when the dueling pistols come out.
    The author was liberal in his use of hyperbole. Seems to be standard in the new media.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    So Ted Cruz agrees with Bernie Sanders that Rand's proposed cuts would be "devastating to the working families in this country?" Ha! Cruz/Sanders 2016.
    Checkmate
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Checkmate
    You know. You just have to chuckle with some of this stuff.

Here is another angle: http://www.redstate.com/diary/freedo...-him-up-on-it/

Erick Erickson issued a major challenge to Cruz, Paul, and Rubio. Which one took him up on it?

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Here is another angle: http://www.redstate.com/diary/freedo...-him-up-on-it/

Erick Erickson issued a major challenge to Cruz, Paul, and Rubio. Which one took him up on it?
    Good article.

Dismaying, depressing comments so far (first 3). SMDH at sheeple on both sides of the aisle.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.