Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul - Defense Spending Bill

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    So is this a move to expand his base of primary voters, or a move to appease the military industrial complex so they fund instead of torpedo his campaign?
    It's a move to show how fiscally irresponsible the other Republican candidates are. They all support massive increases in defense spending without offsetting it with cuts to other areas. Someone like Marco Rubio will vote against Rand's amendment, which will put him on record as not wanting to pay for his massive defense spending increases.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    I disagree. I think it gives him cover when Rubio claims that Rand wants to cut defense spending and is weak on defense. Rand can just point to this and say, "I believe in a strong national defense, but I also believe in balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility. If we're going to increase defense spending, then we should pay for it through cuts to other areas. Marco Rubio thinks it's more important to give money to Pakistan than to invest money on our military and defense infrastructure."
    It's a move to show how fiscally irresponsible the other Republican candidates are. They all support massive increases in defense spending without offsetting it with cuts to other areas. Someone like Marco Rubio will vote against Rand's amendment, which will put him on record as not wanting to pay for his massive defense spending increases.
    Yep. It's a Senate maneuver, and Rand would probably do it no matter if he was running for President or not.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...fense-spending

Increase defense? Sure. But we must cut somewhere else...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Not surprised. The Pauls have always been defense hawks. Neither of them were in favor of defense cuts. Only military cuts
    This too. You say you want defense? You say you are too Christian to support offense? Well then, you'll support this, right...?

Very advanced trolling. Dad told you what you need, and you disagreed. I listened, and am trying to give you what you said you want. Are you going to disagree with not only my dad, but your own selves as well?

If you Republicans don't want what you say you want, then how can anyone be on your side?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    There is no way Rand could have gotten away with this without first proposing a revenue neutral alternative. No way. You can, if you're inclined to trash Rand at every turn, pretend to yourself or others that this was something other than--what shall we call it?--Trolling for Ass Coverage. But I warn you--not everyone can ignore the obvious.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

So that's it? Our best two shots at a fiscal conservative want to increase defense spending?

We are so screwed.

So really Rand wasn't proposing increased spending. The other senators were and Rand just offered an alternative that included an offset of the spending. Is this right?

I'm okay with this as long as Rand makes sure there are rules that stipulate how it is to be spent. For example, if his increase could be used to blow up more countries . . . then he is wrong. If it is used for defense, not offense, I see no problem.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Excellent political maneuvering be Senator Rand Paul. Especially for the Republican debates.
    Rand Paul for Peace

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post

Thanks for the update. 4-96? Good grief!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by LatinsforPaul View Post
    Excellent political maneuvering be Senator Rand Paul. Especially for the Republican debates.
    This.

What are you saying, my fellow Republican senators? That Americans can't live without HUD giving houses away and the EPA protecting polluters from lawsuits--even though your constituents say we can? Are you saying we owe the governments of the world a living, even though your constituents say we don't? Are you saying the Defense Department can't keep us safe in our beds on only as much money as all the rest of the world combined spends on defense?

Or are you just saying that you want to help the bankers and the Fed they own drown us in a sea of debt, and want your constituents to keep them in new Bentleys through our interest payments?

The boost would be offset by a two-year combined $212 billion cut to funding for aid to foreign governments, climate change research and crippling reductions in to the budgets of the Environmental Protection Agency, and the departments of Housing and Urban Development, Commerce and Education.
    It's a good trade-off.

Military Spending:
    1. Government steals taxpayer's money
    2. Government builds bomb
    3. Bomb is vaporized on test range
    =taxpayer gets nothing for his money

Regulatory Spending:
    2. Government hires regulator
    3. Regulator shuts down taxpayer's business
    =taxpayer gets nothing for his money and loses his business

If it's not possible to cut both simultaneously (which would be ideal), shifting spending from regulation to defense is a good alternative.

As for the politics of it:

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Message to Republican primary voters: This is what you say you want. Rand Paul tried to give it to you. How do you feel about it? Is it what you want? What does Fox News have to say about it? Anything at all? Are they telling you that you don't want it? How many of the 'Good Republicans' you habitually support will be voting against it? Do you believe sufficiently in the republican form of government to do your duty as voters and pay attention?

He's trolling the whole society. He's daring Republicans to stand for what they claim to stand for.
    I disagree. I think it gives him cover when Rubio claims that Rand wants to cut defense spending and is weak on defense. Rand can just point to this and say, "I believe in a strong national defense, but I also believe in balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility. If we're going to increase defense spending, then we should pay for it through cuts to other areas. Marco Rubio thinks it's more important to give money to Pakistan than to invest money on our military and defense infrastructure."
    Bingo

He's putting himself in a position where he can attack the war-hawks for reckless spending, but they can't counter by calling him weak on defense.

It's a beautiful thing to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    He's putting himself in a position where he can attack the war-hawks for reckless spending, but they can't counter by calling him weak on defense.

Maybe I'm a bit odd, but when War hawks call candidates weak on defense, it makes me support those candidates more
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Potentially poltically smart. Overal budget should be our main concern, since this realistic overal spending is what it should come down to eventually. But I am not sure how this will go with swing voters. Sure I'd like him to reduce military spending, but I think this is a fair compromise -- even if I think boosting military spending with such a ridiculously gigantic budget for it in place already is kinda idiotic. I actually think that reducing spending on the military signifcantly would make for a more efficient and streamlined military. But yeah, overal understandable.

This shouldn't surprise people anymore. This is what Rand is all about. I just hope his communication/political advisors have thought this out and are right on the mark when it comes to reaching voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
    Maybe I'm a bit odd, but when War hawks call candidates weak on defense, it makes me support those candidates more
    Yes, you are odd (like me and most everyone here).

Your average Republican is afraid of the terrists and thinks we need 17 aircraft carriers to chase them round the desert...

Like it or not, that's the electorate we've got. Any politician of ours who wants to get elected has to act accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    So really Rand wasn't proposing increased spending. The other senators were and Rand just offered an alternative that included an offset of the spending. Is this right?
    Yep. And people still went crazy even over that.

4-96, Senate soundly rejects Rand Paul amendment on defense spending with offsets. McConnell backs Paul.
    That's interesting; you don't see the majority leader on the wrong side of a 96-4 vote too often.

The four to vote Yea were Rand, McConnell, Vitter, and Enzi.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00097
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 03-26-2015 at 01:17 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a good trade-off.

Military Spending:
    2. Government builds bomb
    3. Bomb is vaporized on test range
    =taxpayer gets nothing for his money

Regulatory Spending:
    2. Government hires regulator
    3. Regulator shuts down taxpayer's business
    =taxpayer gets nothing for his money and loses his business

If it's not possible to cut both simultaneously (which would be ideal), shifting spending from regulation to defense is a good alternative.

As for the politics of it:

Bingo

Except those bombs are dropped on real live human beings which create resentment and hatred towards us around the world.

Yep. And people still went crazy even over that.
    Might want to specify that in the thread's title then because a lot of people don't read further

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
    Except those bombs are dropped on real live human beings which create resentment and hatred towards us around the world.
    What you spend on the military and how you use the military are separate issues.

Just because Rand was (rhetorically) calling for more military spending, doesn't mean he was advocating some new overseas adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Might want to specify that in the thread's title then because a lot of people don't read further
    This. Trollish behavior is normal behavior except without a few little niceties and moments of thoughtfulness, and a tad more honesty.

What you spend on the military and how you use the military are separate issues.

Just because Rand was (rhetorically) calling for more military spending, doesn't mean he was advocating some new overseas adventure.
    He wasn't even proposing more military spending. He didn't bring the subject up. He just did the hard work, then came back and said, okay, if this is what you want, here's how we can do it affordably without making our debt worse.

'I have a scheme for stopping war. It's this--no nation is allowed to enter a war 'till they have paid for the last one.'--Will Rogers
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-26-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Military and defense spending are a little separate, aren't they? And, then, from there you can make a list or something. I mean, there is an awful lot to that.

I see two threads on this. One says, something about boosting defense spending and the other says boost military spending. If I read both of those threads, will I come away with a comfortable grasp on the difference?
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 03-26-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Military and defense spending are a little separate, aren't they?
    Since they started using the National Guard in their imperialistic misadventures, no, not much. The Coast Guard is still seldom used in an offensive role, so I guess that would be about the extent to which you can separate the offense and defense of this nation without a crowbar.

Since they started using the National Guard in their imperialistic misadventures, no, not much. The Coast Guard is still seldom used in an offensive role, so I guess that would be about the extent to which you can separate the offense and defense of this nation without a crowbar.
    There was a thread around here about the Coast Guard a couple of years ago. As I recall, it had to do with extending their power.

I'm talking about space, though. I mean, I don't know how much people are paying attention to what is going on there. Maybe they are paying attention andf just aren't discussing it or whatever. I don't know. But there is some major stuff happening. World changing stuff.Freaking civilization changing stuff. Now, it could go both ways, though. Which, i suppose, is why I asked the way that I did.

But, yes, I remember talking about the Coast Guard a ways back. I forget why, though.

There is no such thing as defense spending. We haven't fought a war of defense since the Revolution. I cannot believe people on Ron Paul Forums think we need to INCREASE defense spending.
    There is not a single person here advocating for an increase. Not one.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is no such thing as defense spending. We haven't fought a war of defense since the Revolution. I cannot believe people on Ron Paul Forums think we need to INCREASE defense spending.
    I doubt many if any of us do. I think it's as plain on the nose on your face that Rand Paul doesn't either.

What problem do you have with a Senator standing up and saying, 'If you're determined to increase the military budget, then here's how we do that without increasing the deficit'? And please be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    This looks like it is revenue neutral.
    So it is, at best, a neutral move. I'm probably the biggest Rand fan here, and I don't like this.

That's interesting; you don't see the majority leader on the wrong side of a 96-4 vote too often.

The four to vote Yea were Rand, McConnell, Vitter, and Enzi.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LI...n=1&vote=00097
    Thanks for the update.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 03-26-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    So it is, at best, a neutral move. I'm probably the biggest Rand fan here, and I don't like this.
    That's funny. I'm probably the least Rand fan here and I'm fine with it. I think it was an excellent political maneuver that will benefit him in the primaries.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast