Thread: Chris Christie: Liberty comes from God not government

Chris Christie: Liberty comes from God not government

Its a shame Christie hasn't done a good job defending the God given liberty of the citizens of New Jersey.
    New Jersey's Christie: Liberty comes from God not government

WHIPPANY, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie spent much of a town hall-style meeting Tuesday in his state talking up what he believes makes a winning candidate and espousing the principle that rights and liberties come from God, not government.

The potential Republican presidential contender, who says he plans to make a decision about a run by the end of spring to early summer, traveled to Morris County for his 132nd Town Hall to sell his state budget plan.

But in response to a question about electing more Republicans in New Jersey, Christie said candidates need to be direct and blunt to win over voters.

"Victory for any candidate is up to the candidate," he said, encouraging those in the audience to back office-seekers they believe in and who can communicate their principles in a way that's direct and understandable to people - traits many Christie backers say are his biggest strengths.

"We better be straight, honest, direct, blunt and understandable. And it would be nice if we had some good ideas, too," he said.

He stressed the need to elect candidates who believe in protecting individual liberties, which he said should be protected - not dictated - by government.

"Those are not given to us by the government," he said. "Those are given by God and the government is supposed to be there to enforce and protect those liberties and freedoms, not to determine how we exercise them."
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Apparently God revoked those rights on 9/11...

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Apparently God revoked those rights on 9/11...

or when you ingest or smoke a substance that others don't like.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Vote the Record, Not the Rhetoric

Chris Christie on the Record:

- George Mason University's Mercatus Center released a working paper ranking the solvency of the 50 states finding that Governor Chris Christie’s New Jersey is in the worst financial state of any state in the union while also being the worst in budget and long-run solvency. http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ate-in-the-u-s

- Christie campaigned for Presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush; the latter appointed him as United States Attorney for New Jersey, a position he held from 2002 to 2008.

- On November 05, 2013, Christie told South Carolina Republicans that he wants to help Senator Lindsey Graham, who is facing a conservative primary challenge next year.

- Christie threaded the needle on the Dream Act, a law that would permit students who entered the country illegally to pay in-state tuition rates. Two years ago he said the state couldn't afford to extend tuition equality to "people who haven't followed the rules." A few days ago in front of a largely Hispanic crowd, he said it's time to reconsider the measure. "I've never been opposed to tuition equality," Christie said. Source: Newark Star-Ledger on 2013 N.J. Governor debates , Oct 16, 2013

- Gov. Christie allowed $25 million in federally funded ads to feature him in the middle of an election year running in states beyond New Jersey, taken from the $60 billion in federal emergency disaster funding allocated to states affected by Sandy.

- Governor Christie supports gun control laws. He has supported the assault weapons ban, opposes concealed carry laws, and supports the New Jersey one gun per month law.

- While running for Assemblyman in 1995 Chris Christie put out a campaign flyer noting his support for the assault weapons ban. He called the support for repealing the ban dangerous, crazy, and radical.

- In 2009 while seeking the Governor's office in 2009, US Attorney Christie put out a fact sheet noting that he supported New Jersey's gun laws and opposed concealed carry laws. He mocked the idea that he "stood with the NRA."

- After assuming office, Governor Christie supported a recently passed New Jersey that only allowed each person to purchase one handgun per day.

- Christie quoted: “We ARE the leader in Libya; we MUST be the world's police.” (June 2011)

- Christie has defended the Patriot Act, including one highly controversial portion of the law that allowed the government to investigate what materials people take out of public libraries. (2007)

- Christie is happy to rail against the Affordable Care Act like every other Republican, but when it came to decision time, he went along with the Medicaid expansion. He declined to set up a state-run exchange for the marketplace, meaning the Garden State is now contending with the error-riddled federal site.

- Christie invoked an old standby to criticize recent legislative activity like the narrow defeat of Justin Amash's amendment and Rep. Rush Holt's recently introduced bill to repeal the PATRIOT Act.
    “As a former prosecutor who was appointed by President George W. Bush on Sept. 10, 2001, I just want us to be really cautious, because this strain of libertarianism that’s going through both parties right now and making big headlines, I think, is a very dangerous thought,” Christie said. Christie dismissed some of the current privacy/national security debates as "esoteric."

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-On-The-Record
    Last edited by PAF; 03-25-2015 at 07:28 AM.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 07:59 AM.

so the gov can take away what god gives? hmmm