Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rand Paul says he would tie Gay Rights to human aid NGO funding

From the quote, it doesn't look like he said anything about gay rights at all. Gay rights aren't mentioned in the quote. I don't understand what the title has to do with the quote.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    From the quote, it doesn't look like he said anything about gay rights at all. Gay rights aren't mentioned in the quote. I don't understand what the title has to do with the quote.
    I would think we’d give to a lot of countries that don’t have good records on gay rights,” Paul told me. “I mean, any Muslim country probably has an abysmal record. Obviously, I’m not a big fan of most aid to begin with, so would I tie aid to behavior? Absolutely. For example, I introduced an amendment in the foreign relations committee to not give aid to countries that will put people to death for changing your religion in interfaith marriage. I’d be happy to say, for countries that punish you for homosexuality, too. Do any of them put people to death for that in Muslim countries? I’d be happy to say no.”

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    And he just did. Which was setup nicely with his attack on Hillary Clinton in regards to women's rights in the ME just the other day. I'd expect him to say something similar about cutting off funding for countries that stone women for getting raped next. Then perhaps we can tackle the abortion issue.
    I think you are one to something.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to specsaregood again.

This could be a cool "candid camera" moment. Go to a tea party and/or pro life rally and at first get people agree with you that cutting off foreign aid for countries that enforce sharia law is a good thing. Then bring up the abortion issue. I bet most people there won't even know about this. Go through a list of countries where governments pay for abortion....with Israel last on the list.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    They want to be a litte bit intolerant, but if you dare be any more intolerant than that, war
    LOL

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mit26chell View Post
    I would think we’d give to a lot of countries that don’t have good records on gay rights,” Paul told me. “I mean, any Muslim country probably has an abysmal record. Obviously, I’m not a big fan of most aid to begin with, so would I tie aid to behavior? Absolutely. For example, I introduced an amendment in the foreign relations committee to not give aid to countries that will put people to death for changing your religion in interfaith marriage. I’d be happy to say, for countries that punish you for homosexuality, too. Do any of them put people to death for that in Muslim countries? I’d be happy to say no.”
    The problem here is Rand is talking about the right not to be stoned or imprisoned as opposed to marriage or the right to pick which bathroom you want to use or the right to be in the military. Most Christians don't think gays should be put in prison. There was no big rush for a new constitutional amendment when Lawrence v. Texas was overturned like there is over the possibility of same sex marriage. This could hurt Rand politically if it gets spun the wrong way. But I think it will be interpreted as "Rand doesn't like sharia law."

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    This could be a cool "candid camera" moment. Go to a tea party and/or pro life rally and at first get people agree with you that cutting off foreign aid for countries that enforce sharia law is a good thing. Then bring up the abortion issue. I bet most people there won't even know about this.
    Indeed it would; I've done similar on article comments and forums in the past. The vast majority don't know. The moment I'm waiting for is for somebody to bring up against a politician such as Mike Pence who has specifically used the fungibility argument in regards to planned parenthood.

This is why I hate Republicans. Rand actually has a good idea that is the moral stance, giving more liberty to more human beings, but posters have to say "it's the wrong way" because evangelist Christians don't like gays. We need our candidate to pander to the "Jews need to live in Israel because of Armageddon" crowd.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

The problem here is Rand is talking about the right not to be stoned or imprisoned as opposed to marriage or the right to pick which bathroom you want to use or the right to be in the military. Most Christians don't think gays should be put in prison. There was no big rush for a new constitutional amendment when Lawrence v. Texas was overturned like there is over the possibility of same sex marriage. This could hurt Rand politically if it gets spun the wrong way. But I think it will be interpreted as "Rand doesn't like sharia law."
    Yes. Thank you. I guess I could have worded my post a little better. The initial post was confusing. Your post was great. Unfortunately, I am unable to give you more rep right now.

This plus Rand boycotting SA really make him look like a super hero to evangelical Christians, well, if the truth gets out.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

1. We should not be giving money away to other countries in the first place.
    2. It's not about *gay* rights. It's about human rights. In many nations women undergo genital mutilation, are denied education, are forced to marry, cannot go about in public without being covered from head to toe and without a male relative, etc. Christians are being imprisoned or killed, their churches are being destroyed.

Foreign aid is yet another massive transfer of wealth. It needs to stop.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

These people are schizophrenic. I've literally heard one of these idiots one day argue that God is punishing America for accepting homosexuality then the next day say we should stand up against the "islamofacists" because they suppress gays. Some would lick this up. I wonder though what they would think when it dawned on this that this would also apply to certain African countries run by evangelical Christians who have also recently criminalized homosexuality?
    Rick Santorum actually used this argument in a diatribe against Iran during one of the debates in the 2012 campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think that this is a great way to force an end to aid. The countries he is talking about, probably won't change their behavior in the near future. Boom, aid is cutoff from those nations and we move on to the next. More Rand Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Randal is an enigma to me. I never know what he's going to do next. Making positive statements about gay rights is a +1 in my book.
    It's what I love about him. If we don't know what he is going to say next, how the ever living $#@! are Hillary or the MSM supposed to plan against him. If it drives you nuts think what it must do to the opposition strategists.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Bribing the world to accept your values isn't my idea of libertarian policy.

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    So just give them everything for free? Anything that leads to less foreign aid spending is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    Its a completely voluntary exchange.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    1. We should not be giving money away to other countries in the first place.
    2. It's not about *gay* rights. It's about human rights. In many nations women undergo genital mutilation, are denied education, are forced to marry, cannot go about in public without being covered from head to toe and without a male relative, etc. Christians are being imprisoned or killed, their churches are being destroyed.

Foreign aid is yet another massive transfer of wealth. It needs to stop.
    And yet "gay" rights are the issue.

lol....

Let's give foreign aid to Israel that funds abortions, but if a country dare actively oppose homoseuxality...

What a joke. Rand, you are being an idiot and you should shut up. Stick with your voting record.

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Its a completely voluntary exchange.
    Because bribery is voluntary does not make it right. Let's just cut foreign aid altogether, and let them develop in their own manner, at their own rate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12