Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you consider yourself to be "conservative"

Do you consider yourself to be "conservative"

When I think of myself as a Libertarian I don't feel that I fit in the conservative stereotype. A bit about me, I'm for individual rights and liberties, I'm for gay marriage (I just don't think they should steal the name "marriage"), I'm for the legalization of industrial hemp and marijuana, I'm against war and nation building yada yada and I'm atheist. I 'm basically for letting people do what they want or need to do as long as it doesn't offend or hurt someone else. I've done about 20 years or skating, 15 years of surfing, and a little snowboarding while growing up, I listed to punk music and metal among many other non-conservative things.

I personally don't think of myself as "conservative" but I think people that don't know much about politics throw me into that category because I'm a Ron and Rand supporter. It's very frustrating to be a libertarian when outsiders who don't know much about politics and group you into the same boat as Ted Cruz, George Bush, and the Koch brothers. I may have lost a few jobs over it too but I can't really prove it. I work in a very liberal city and industry and I think when people think of the Pauls they think of racists, white supremacy and bible thumpers. It sucks that Ron and Rand are forced to run in the GOP, because there really is no other choice but that may have a lot to do with people's lame perceptions. The only part of myself that I can think of that is conservative is being fiscally conservative but that doesn't mean that I support Republicanism.

So what about you, do you think you are conservative and do you think people mislabel you because you support Libertarianism?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think of the term "libertarian" as an adjective more than a label. Therefore, it doesn't bother me when someone suggests I'm libertarian. It's a such a broad scope that it includes all sorts of people.

Outside of that, I don't use many labels at all. I don't place any on myself and I think it's stupid when any are being placed on me. The only reason I can see that someone would do that is so they can limit their struggle to identify me as an individual, different from every other individual, and they can classify me based upon some preconceived notions that only they know. One thing I can tell you is that if you are concerned about how other people view you too much, you will always be unhappy. It only matters how you consider yourself. You are not a label. You are an individual and there will never and has never been another like you. Be proud of that.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Nope, not anymore. I had an epiphany several decades ago, and just never even looked back.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 03-23-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul4Prez2012 View Post
    When I think of myself as a Libertarian I don't feel that I fit in the conservative stereotype. A bit about me, I'm for individual rights and liberties, I'm for gay marriage (I just don't think they should steal the name "marriage"), I'm for the legalization of industrial hemp and marijuana, I'm against war and nation building yada yada and I'm atheist. I 'm basically for letting people do what they want or need to do as long as it doesn't offend or hurt someone else. I've done about 20 years or skating, 15 years of surfing, and a little snowboarding while growing up, I listed to punk music and metal among many other non-conservative things.

I personally don't think of myself as "conservative" but I think people that don't know much about politics throw me into that category because I'm a Ron and Rand supporter. It's very frustrating to be a libertarian when outsiders who don't know much about politics and group you into the same boat as Ted Cruz, George Bush, and the Koch brothers. I may have lost a few jobs over it too but I can't really prove it. I work in a very liberal city and industry and I think when people think of the Pauls they think of racists, white supremacy and bible thumpers. It sucks that Ron and Rand are forced to run in the GOP, because there really is no other choice but that may have a lot to do with people's lame perceptions. The only part of myself that I can think of that is conservative is being fiscally conservative but that doesn't mean that I support Republicanism.

So what about you, do you think you are conservative and do you think people mislabel you because you support Libertarianism?
    I'm a "bible-thumping born again Christian" and I don't view myself as a Conservative. The conservative movement all the way back to Russel Kirk was a Roman Catholic and statist movement. Conservatism is not compatible with a Biblical Christian worldview, as it's basis is in natural law.

(I still listen to metal too).

Paleoconservative- obviously

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    I'm a "bible-thumping born again Christian" and I don't view myself as a Conservative. The conservative movement all the way back to Russel Kirk was a Roman Catholic and statist movement. Conservatism is not compatible with a Biblical Christian worldview, as it's basis is in natural law.

(I still listen to metal too).
    What would you describe yourself as politically?
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    What would you describe yourself as politically?
    Politically, probably voluntarist. I don't like the label of anarchism because so many identify it with the kind of atheistic atomistic anarchism which denies the family, and no Christian can endorse that.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If there is a true definition of conservative, it is that you want to keep(conserve) things the way they are, or that you want things to go back to the way they were sometime in the past.

Going by that definition, I'd probably still be somewhat of a moderate.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

When I think of myself as a Libertarian I don't feel that I fit in the conservative stereotype.
    Not sure I do either.

A bit about me, I'm for individual rights and liberties,
    Me too.

I'm for gay marriage (I just don't think they should steal the name "marriage")
    I'm for getting government out of all marriage.

I'm for the legalization of industrial hemp and marijuana
    I'm for treating them like any other plant. They should be no more controversial than the tomatoes I just planted. Legalization still gives the state power, control, and more money.

I'm against war and nation building
    Me too.

yada yada
    Who doesn't like a little yada, yada?

I'm atheist.
    I'm not.

I 'm basically for letting people do what they want or need to do as long as it doesn't offend or hurt someone else.

Ummm...I agree with the hurting someone else but I'm pretty sure I offend people on a regular basis.

I've done about 20 years or skating
    I was an avid roller skater back in the day. Now I run (slowly), swim, and consider myself a boxed wine connoisseur.

15 years of surfing, and a little snowboarding while growing up

I listed to punk music and metal among many other non-conservative things.
    I like a little bit of everything.

I'm sure people mislabel me but it doesn't bother me. It's their problem, not mine, and when they really get to know me - they're always surprised and sometimes a little shocked.

When I was little my father explained to me that conservatives want to keep things the way they are.
    Liberals want to change things.
    Liberals become conservatives as they get their way.
    Then there are reactionaries, who are so conservative that they aren't even willing to listen to proposed changes,
    and radicals, liberals who want to change literally everything.

About two months ago we were talking politics and he said "Gee, I had no idea I had spawned a radical."
    He's right... I think the question for me is not "Do you want to change anything", it's "Do you want to save anything".
    The answer keeps coming up NO.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

The only political identities that make any difference to me are statist and anti-statist. Everything else is irrelevant.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Ummm...I agree with the hurting someone else but I'm pretty sure I offend people on a regular basis.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

-Albert Camus

Not sure I do either.

Me too.

I'm for getting government out of all marriage.

I'm for treating them like any other plant. They should be no more controversial than the tomatoes I just planted. Legalization still gives the state power, control, and more money.

Me too.

Who doesn't like a little yada, yada?

I'm not.

I was an avid roller skater back in the day. Now I run (slowly), swim, and consider myself a boxed wine connoisseur.

I like a little bit of everything.

I'm sure people mislabel me but it doesn't bother me. It's their problem, not mine, and when they really get to know me - they're always surprised and sometimes a little shocked.
    You sound like a Suzanimal to me, sorry if I just mislabeled you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

That would help.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

That would help.
    lol.
    Don't ever change, cookie.
    -Albert Camus

I am very right wing, but I specifically identify as a reactionary and traditionalist, not a conservative. There is nothing left to "conserve". The conservatives of today are the progressives of a generation ago. The liberal lurch of democracy necessitates the conservative to constantly move leftward. The creations of the left become the new status quo, which makes conservatives defend it as it become part of the normal societal tapestry. Conservatism is dead. Reaction is the future.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    The only political identities that make any difference to me are statist and anti-statist. Everything else is irrelevant.
    Yeah, because minarchists and Nazis have no relevant differences between them

Get real.

I'm a theonomist. I'm OK with being called conservative or libertarian but I don't really fit in either of those camps super-well.

There exist way too many ist's and isms in my humble opinion. Didn't we have a discussion around here some place with regard to the definition of conservatism versus application and perception of what it is? I thought we did. I don't remember.

Ehhhhh , off topic but why boxed wine? Are any of those good? I prefer wine tastings at vineyards to even store wine, an advantage to living in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    There exist way too many ist's and isms in my humble opinion. Didn't we have a discussion around here some place with regard to the definition of conservatism versus application and perception of what it is? I thought we did. I don't remember.
    I see needing to define ones self using such monikers as a psychological shortcoming.

I've yet to meet a man or woman who actually subscribes to any political philosophy in its entirety..(including Ron Paul)

Call me conservative and I'll punch you in the nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I see needing to define ones self using such monikers as a psychological shortcoming.

I've yet to meet a man or woman who actually subscribes to any political philosophy in its entirety..(including Ron Paul)
    Identifying with an "ism" is just shorthand, a way to describe a collection of values one holds. No one is claiming that it's an all-encompassing thing that one can't disagree with.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    I am very right wing, but I specifically identify as a reactionary and traditionalist, not a conservative. There is nothing left to "conserve". The conservatives of today are the progressives of a generation ago. The liberal lurch of democracy necessitates the conservative to constantly move leftward. The creations of the left become the new status quo, which makes conservatives defend it as it become part of the normal societal tapestry. Conservatism is dead. Reaction is the future.
    ^This

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    When I was little my father explained to me that conservatives want to keep things the way they are.
    Liberals want to change things.
    I guess I'm a liberal then, cause I want to end the IRS, end the Fed, and end obamacare for starters. That is change.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

Is interesting. A lot of times I'll hear or read people debate how we define conservatism. Seems eerily similar to the way that biblicists debate interpretation of scripture. Seriously. We like to translate it in a way that conforms to our own interpretation and moral standing and then the model itself becomes lost or fragmented at its core and ultimately in terms of how we perceive order itself. Scwewy stuff, man.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 03-23-2015 at 07:08 PM.

I guess I'm a liberal then, cause I want to end the IRS, end the Fed, and end obamacare for starters. That is change.
    A gold standard, free market healthcare and abolishing the income tax are all reactionary positions; for most of history nations (America included) had none of those things you listed.
    Last edited by ThePaleoLibertarian; 03-23-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Is interesting. A lot of times I'll hear or read people debate how we define conservatism. Seems eerily similar to the way that biblicists debate interpretation of scripture. Seriously. We like to translate it in a way that conforms to our own interpretation and moral standing and then the model itself becomes lost or fragmented at its core and ultimately in terms of how we perceive order itself. Scwewy stuff, man.
    It's all way over my head...

Although it is interesting seeing some chase their tails...........

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast