Thread: The 'Live And Let Live' Philosophy That Informs The Policies Of Rand Paul

The 'Live And Let Live' Philosophy That Informs The Policies Of Rand Paul

Libertarianism no longer seriously can be considered marginal. It has emerged as an important part of our public discourse.

Sen. Rand Paul writes, “They say the libertarian moment has arrived. If you want to understand and be part of that moment, read David Boaz’s The Libertarian Mind where you’ll be drawn into the ‘eternal struggle of liberty vs. power,’ where you’ll learn that libertarianism presumes that you were born free and not a subject of the state.”

There remains a great deal of confusion in the public consciousness. As (then) Texas GOP Chairman Steve Munisteri said to Ryan Lizza of The New Yorker, “[Rand] Paul should stop calling himself a libertarian. ‘I know he just means that he likes to protect individual freedoms, but that’s not what it means down here,’ he said, referring to Texas. ‘They think it means you’re going to legalize heroin.’

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphben...-of-rand-paul/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know he just means that he likes to protect individual freedoms, but that’s not what it means down here,’ he said, referring to Texas. ‘They think it means you’re going to legalize heroin.
    Well, ending the war on drugs is certainly part of protecting individual freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by NACBA View Post
    “[Rand] Paul should stop calling himself a libertarian. ‘I know he just means that he likes to protect individual freedoms, but that’s not what it means down here,’ he said, referring to Texas. ‘They think it means you’re going to legalize heroin.’
    How can people say this with a straight face?

"That guy should should stop saying that he's anti-murder. I know he means that he's against killing people, but down here, it means that you think you can't push people off of skyscrapers".

Quote Originally Posted by LawnWake View Post
    How can people say this with a straight face?

"That guy should should stop saying that he's anti-murder. I know he means that he's against killing people, but down here, it means that you think you can't push people off of skyscrapers".
    Just maybe the guy is being serious
    and in fact it's not just Texas that has this mindset. So maybe he's simply saying hey look if you want to run an educational campaign then fine, but if you grisly want to win then start using different words which mean the same thing to describe yourself. Using the phrase constitutional conservative instead may not be a bad idea. And unlike Ted Cruz who just outright lies about being for the constitution/liberty, Rand in this case would not.

It's to late in the game to fight a perception war over the definition of a damn word. Hell that's why democrats started saying progressive vs liberal. We can't just assume that advice is automatically negative..

Quote Originally Posted by rich34 View Post
    and in fact it's not just Texas that has this mindset. So maybe he's simply saying hey look if you want to run an educational campaign then fine, but if you grisly want to win then start using different words which mean the same thing to describe yourself. Using the phrase constitutional conservative instead may not be a bad idea. And unlike Ted Cruz who just outright lies about being for the constitution/liberty, Rand in this case would not.

It's to late in the game to fight a perception war over the definition of a damn word. Hell that's why democrats started saying progressive vs liberal. We can't just assume that advice is automatically negative..

I agree. Besides, Rand really isn't a libertarian. He seems like more of a paleoconservative to me, given his public stances on issues.

I hope he calls himself a libertarian more. I figure he will do so if he makes it out of the primary.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    I agree. Besides, Rand really isn't a libertarian. He seems like more of a paleoconservative to me, given his public stances on issues.
    Not at all. Paleocons are generally very socially and culturally conservative. Rand is neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard101 View Post
    Not at all. Paleocons are generally very socially and culturally conservative. Rand is neither.
    How do you figure? He's as pro life as anyone running in the race. The only issue that he's not "socially conservative" on is perhaps drug policy, but even on that he hasn't advocated full legalization.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Munisteri is just expressing the fact that people think Libertarianism is a thinly veiled disguise for Libertines to legalize drugs.

Rand crudely expressed the same idea when he said he didn't want everyone to smoke pot and run around naked.

Rand has embraced this strategy all along. Moderate your position so you aren't immediately dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by rich34 View Post

I understand your point. But is there a word we can use to describe ourselves that the media can't or won't redefine for us, 24/7, with billions of megawatts of broadcasting power behind it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.