Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peter Schiff won't back down: 'The Dollar is going to crash, Buy Gold'

I don't know enough about Schiff so I'll ask this; Does he own a lot of land, guns, ammo, and have access to water? If the dollar collapses like he's been saying, I'll take those things over precious metals. I'm guessing that he lives in a large city, which would not be a smart thing to do if he believes in his predictions.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I don't know enough about Schiff so I'll ask this; Does he own a lot of land, guns, ammo, and have access to water? If the dollar collapses like he's been saying, I'll take those things over precious metals. I'm guessing that he lives in a large city, which would not be a smart thing to do if he believes in his predictions.

Question [to Peter Schiff] from Audience: Can you tell us 4 things we should be doing to prepare for a major economic collapse?

Answer:

1. Financial; get out of debt, save, buy gold and silver. Buy other currencies and stocks in other countries (their values won’t plummet when ours does). Save pennies! Pennies pre-1981 are currently worth about 3 cents in copper.
    2. Store food and stock up on other non-perishable items. If costs are going up in the next several years, buy them now. Toiletries,batteries, etc
    3. Move out of big cities, there is going to be major unrest from the dependent generations as they lose their entitlements; things will get very dangerous in the big cities – but Salt Lake seems rural compared to New York – things should be fine here.
    4. Spread the word politically, help people understand why it (the coming collapse) happened so that after it happens the right people are there to fix it correctly

http://www.utahpreppers.com/2011/02/...aking-in-utah/
    Last edited by dannno; 03-26-2015 at 01:53 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Last edited by devil21; 03-26-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

He got it right once -and has been playing off it ever since. But how has he done since then? Dow 4000? Gold $5000 and beyond ("there is no limit")? Major crash coming next year (pick a year- he says it every year)? QE will never end. Hyperinflation.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    He got it right once -and has been playing off it ever since. But how has he done since then? Dow 4000? Gold $5000 and beyond ("there is no limit")? Major crash coming next year (pick a year- he says it every year)? QE will never end. Hyperinflation.
    Schiff 1 Zippy 0

Am I missing something?

He is maybe one out of ten or more. Eventually there will be another recession (they average about once every eight years or so but that does vary) and he will be right again (the stopped clock analogy). A list of my predictions?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-27-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You guys criticizing Schiff always miss a key point. You expect him to tell everybody exactly WHEN the currency is going to crash? Why is that his responsibility? He is arguing against people who say there is no sign and no reason that the dollar will EVER crash, at least until some type major external, unpredictable event happens, nothing like what Schiff is talking about where it is already happening..

The fact is he was right about the internet stock bubble in '99, the housing bubble and that the market would crash in '07, and that the government would prop up the dollar and the currency would eventually crash. So far EVERYTHING he has predicted has happened except the currency crash, and the so called "experts" were arguing against him when he made these other claims. Schiff still has the most credibility. He has said, "it COULD happen in X years" but he has never really given a specific timeline... the only time he has given any sort of timeline is when he is backed into a corner by the establishment media..
    THIS post will never seriously be addressed by Zippy or TheCount...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

He is maybe one out of ten or more. Eventually there will be another recession (they average about once every eight years or so but that does vary) and he will be right again (the stopped clock analogy). A list of my predictions?
    I'm not a big Schiff supporter - I don't tend to go in to calamitous apocalyptic predictions of any sort. I do think the west is in decline (for a variety of reasons, both economic, cultural, and social), but I also think it will be a long, slow painful way down. A society collapsing is not event, it is a process that takes generations, and isn't always apparent.

However, even if Schiff was right one tenth of the time, that's better than someone without that single correct prediction. Do you take the Keynesians to task for their complete inability to predict much of anything in the 20th century? I see no evidence that their predictions are more accurate than Austrian or Chicago school prognostication. Your criticisms seem to be a case of special pleading; free market economists inaccurate predictions prove their folly, whereas more mainstream economists can be forgiven.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Always predicting a crash does not take any special insight. They happen all the time. Wait and another one will happen. Eventually. He did get more specific about $5000 gold and Dow 4000 and said hyperinflation was coming. How did he do on those?

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    THIS post will never seriously be addressed by Zippy or TheCount...
    95% of the "experts" Schiff was arguing against back then haven't been heard from again. They were temporary PR puppets of the banks, trying to buy time and create more bag-holders. The trolls will talk $#@! about Schiff but he's actually had staying power compared to those flash-in-the-pan puppets CNBC cycles through.

Always predicting a crash does not take any special insight. They happen all the time. Wait and another one will happen. Eventually. He did get more specific about $5000 gold and Dow 4000 and said hyperinflation was coming. How did he do on those?
    Did time stop? Has the end of the world already occurred and we haven't noticed yet?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

He didn't just "predict a crash", he predicted a crash when all sorts of economists were saying that the economy at the time wa one of the best ever, and he was laughed at for predicting a recession. It's fine to take him to task on what he got wrong (Austrian's theory of the business cycle does have its flaws), but if you dismiss Shiff for being wrong, then all the other economists who didn't see the crash coming, or even worse, those who actually prescribed creating a housing bubble (like a certain Nobel Prize winner) should be even lower on the totem.

Peter Schiff: "The Dollar is going to crash, Buy Gold"

Good advice, I think. I would recommend having 25% of your long-term savings in gold, just to get more specific.

The dollar may or may not crash in any given year. It is smart to have a very large chunk of your net worth in gold regardless. That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    The ZippyJuan account and it's band of merry members strike me as very conservative investors.
    Superficially, perhaps. But not on a very deep level (again, in my opinion). If you have 100% of your wealth in US dollar assets, that, to me, is not diversified.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Always predicting a crash does not take any special insight.
    The stuff you post doesn't take any special insight either. You have a economics degree from Boulder and you are a very conservative investor. I don't need that kind of insight to open a CD account or get a dividend check.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    I do think the west is in decline...A society collapsing is not event, it is a process that takes generations, and isn't always apparent.

I agree. US has been sliding for 5+ decades. The east is up; the west is down.

You could create another It's morning in America campaign, and people would line up to promote it. It's 30 years later and people still don't get it.

The Fantasy:

The Reality:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

He didn't just "predict a crash", he predicted a crash when all sorts of economists were saying that the economy at the time wa one of the best ever, and he was laughed at for predicting a recession. It's fine to take him to task on what he got wrong (Austrian's theory of the business cycle does have its flaws), but if you dismiss Shiff for being wrong, then all the other economists who didn't see the crash coming, or even worse, those who actually prescribed creating a housing bubble (like a certain Nobel Prize winner) should be even lower on the totem.
    Actually a lot of economists were saying that the tech and housing bubbles were getting over-inflated. How did Schiff miss the gold price bubble? Rather than recognizing it, he said it could go on forever.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-27-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Actually a lot of economists were saying that the tech and housing bubbles were getting over-inflated. How did Schiff miss the gold price bubble?
    First of all, I do need to retract one thing; Peter Schiff isn't an economist at all, so I shouldn't have said "other economists" since he isn't one of them.

I never said he was the only one to predict the crash, I said that if you take him to task for getting predictions wrong, you need to be even harsher on thecommentators or actual economists who laughed at him when a recession is coming. This is especially prescient when you have lauded economists who are revered as brilliant who prescribed the creation of the very housing bubble that collapsed.. If you can dismiss Schiff for incorrect predictions, then surely you must hve no problem whatsoever with all of Keynesianism being dismissed, right?

If you can dismiss Schiff for incorrect predictions, then surely you must hve no problem whatsoever with all of Keynesianism being dismissed, right?
    Schiff = "all of Keynesianism?" Really?

Schiff is the only one of them making predictions and the one some claim is right all of the time. Schiff includes himself in those saying he is never wrong.

But yeah, you are probably right. This thread has gone on more than long enough. I am guilty on that. Everybody gets that I am skeptical on what Schiff says. But people who are big on buying gold (which is fine) and economic doom do like him. Their choice too.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 03-27-2015 at 05:28 PM.

Schiff = "all of Keynesianism?" Really?

Schiff is the only one of them making predictions and the one some claim is right all of the time. Schiff includes himself in those saying he is never wrong.

But yeah, you are probably right. This thread has gone on more than long enough. I am guilty on that. Everybody gets that I am skeptical on what Schiff says. But people who are big on buying gold (which is fine) and economic doom do like him. Their choice too.
    You cannot be this $#@!ing dense. It's not about a false equivalence between a man and a school, it's about $#@!ing PREDICTIONS! Why have you refused to answer my question you spineless twit?

Neo and post-Keynesians have different theories, but classical Keynesians made the same predictions throughout the 20th Century: Getting off the Gold Standard would decrease the severity, the duration and their occurrence, spending during deflationary recessions would always boost the economy, stopping the war machine after the end of World War II would restart the depression, stagflation is impossible, recessions caused by industry A should be resolved by creating bubbles in industry B. All. Completely. Wrong.

You're right that there can be no comparison between Peter Schiff and all of Keynesianism. Schiff is one man who has been wrong about certain bubbles in a relatively short timespan, Keynesianism is an entire school that has a whole $#@!ing century of incorrect prognostications. It took a whole new generation of economists to synthesize Keynes with neoclassical economics to "fix" his theories, and they're STILL wrong! Schiff's is a $#@!ing oracle compared to 20th century Keynesians.

I always thought the claim that you're some paid poster was spurious, but since you seem incapable of casting a critical eye on your own ideas, I'm wondering if it might be true. Or maybe you just completely lack any form of intellectual integrity or self-awareness, who knows.
    Last edited by ThePaleoLibertarian; 03-27-2015 at 06:36 PM.

You cannot be this $#@!ing dense. It's not about a false equivalence between a man and a school, it's about $#@!ing PREDICTIONS! Why have you refused to answer my question you spineless twit?

Neo and post-Keynesians have different theories, but classical Keynesians made the same predictions throughout the 20th Century: Getting off the Gold Standard would decrease the severity, the duration and their occurrence, spending during deflationary recessions would always boost the economy, stopping the war machine after the end of World War II would restart the depression, stagflation is impossible, recessions caused by industry A should be resolved by creating bubbles in industry B. All. Completely. Wrong.

You're right that there can be no comparison between Peter Schiff and all of Keynesianism. Schiff is one man who has been wrong about certain bubbles in a relatively short timespan, Keynesianism is an entire school that has a whole $#@!ing century of incorrect prognostications. It took a whole new generation of economists to synthesize Keynes with neoclassical economics to "fix" his theories, and they're STILL wrong! Schiff's is a $#@!ing oracle compared to 20th century Keynesians.

I always thought the claim that you're some paid poster was spurious, but since you seem incapable of casting a critical eye on your own ideas, I'm wondering if it might be true. Or maybe you just completely lack any form of intellectual integrity or self-awareness, who knows.
    You're not seriously suggesting that Schiff and Keynesian school are the only 2 options, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    You're not seriously suggesting that Schiff and Keynesian school are the only 2 options, are you?
    How is it even possible to think that's what I was trying to say? Really, I want to know.

You cannot be this $#@!ing dense

I always thought the claim that you're some paid poster was spurious,...

How is it even possible to think that's what I was trying to say? Really, I want to know.

PRB is in the same group as the ZippyJuan Account. The posting of PRB however, is more along the lines of the TheCount than Zip.

And no, these people are not dense, at least in an academic sense. They do however, lack a lot of real world common sense. I think that is a characteristic of people who love big government and depend on it so much.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Schiff 1 PRB/TheCount/Zippy 0

Am I missing something?

Yes. I fixed that for you.

Excellent post!

I don't know if Zippy is a paid poster or not but I think he does valuable insights every now & then (to counter the conspiracy theories floating around on this forum) so perhaps, as you've said, he lacks intellectual integrity or self-awareness.
    There is enormous inertia — a tyranny of the status quo — in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis — actual or perceived — produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

"A broken clock is right twice a day"

Yeah...if the clock is saying 12:15, it will be 12:15 twice in one day...but, Schiff isn't a broken clock..he's explaining WHY and WHAT will happen.

It's like AD 465 and you're predicting the collapse of the Western Roman empire, the reasons why, and the fallout. Does it REALLY matter if it didn't happen until AD 476? So you were 11 years early..I mean, the point is, if Schiff is predicting high inflation and a SEVERE economic collapse, but it doesn't happen for another 5 years, is it really a "broken clock"?? He's outlining very specific details rather than just saying "The economy will have a recession." He's saying WHY, WHERE, and WHAT will have a recession, and how to guard against inflation. Do I care if it comes in 2015 or 2016 or 2017? No.

Now, it is funny Zippy won't give Schiff credit for predicting Dow 4000 back in 2002 when in early 2009 it had collapsed to 6500. What stopped it from going to 4000? Uhm...doubling of the national debt, 0% interest rates, and trillions in quantitative easing. Yyyyyeah...I wouldn't say Peter got it wrong considering the Dow collapsed from 14,000 to 6,500 from October 2007 to March 2009.

Also, prior to France getting Napoleon and the severe hyperinflation from their currency in the 1790s, France had periods of economic and currency strength. There were periods, as it is currently with the US Dollar, where the French paper currency of the 1790s actually appreciated in value significantly for over a year, only to have totally collapsed to be worth less than paper itself. Does that mean that someone in 1789 who said, "Get out of French Assignats" was wrong when from 1794-95 the Assignat increased in value, only to have completely collapsed in 1796??? The ebb and flow of markets comes and goes, but the fact that the paper Assignats didn't collapse for 7 years doesn't mean you were a broken clock if you were saying for 7 years that it would collapse.

And plus, Schiff is saying the Dollar will lose significant purchasing power in the near future. I mean, that's not really a broken clock because how often does a major currency collapse? Henry Hazlitt said back in the 1940s after Bretton Woods was established that it would collapse for reasons X, Y, and Z, but it didn't collapse until the late 1960s/early 1970s. Does that make Hazlitt a broken clock? Well, if you take the observation that every human institution inevitably fails at some point, then yes, he was a "broken clock"...but when Hazlitt outlined WHY Bretton Woods was bound to fail, that DOESN'T go with the metaphor...because a broken clock is correct by mere incidence, whereas Schiff/Hazlitt were/are going to be right based on fundamental analysis.

The only thing Peter Schiff has ever proven is that he is a goofball.

Schiff got it right once - the housing crash, but has been so convinced in and full of himself ever since.

The best time to buy gold is when Schiff finally capitulates and sells his, and the best time to short the dollar is also when Schiff gives up and stops saying the dollar will crash.

That's how bubbles pop and bottoms are found. When the final disbelievers shut up and go in or when the most rabid believers get out of their long positions or go short.

Schiff has been screaming this nonsense since Obama got into office... instead the opposite has happened. Who believes this moron anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by 56ktarget View Post
    Schiff has been screaming this nonsense since Obama got into office... instead the opposite has happened. Who believes this moron anymore?

Who believes Obama?

Quote Originally Posted by jon_perez View Post
    Schiff got it right once - the housing crash, but has been so convinced in and full of himself ever since.
    Interestingly, this time when he supposedly "got it right" his investors lost catastrophic amounts, due to the extremely risky nature of his bets.

And then the time since then, when he's been, well, not particularly able to gloat about anything, not really "right" in any predictions, his investors have been doing OK. They have been under-performing the stock market, but way outperforming Treasury bills and that's something.

So actually, in my opinion, as "right" as he looks in the compilation videos, he was not actually right in 2007-8. He was not right where it counts: the pocketbook. And the time since when he's been apparently "wrong" judging by his TV predictions, he actually was not all that wrong where it counts: the pocketbook.
    Last edited by helmuth_hubener; 03-30-2015 at 07:59 AM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I'm just asking. Are you a Jewish atheist or agnostic. Yes or no?
    Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by XTreat View Post
    Atheist and agnostic are not mutually exclusive.

PRB won't answer either way. He must be shunning me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast