Thread: The Man Who Single-handedly Carved A Road Through a Mountain

The Man Who Single-handedly Carved A Road Through a Mountain

Wow. I'm so impressed. Good for him!

Who will build the roads? Folks like him.

RIP Dashrath Manjhi

For years, he was called a madman for toiling away on the rocks. But Dashrath Manjhi was not crazy. His quest to break a path through a small mountain to benefit the entire village is now legendary because he carved an entire road with hand tools, working for 22 years.

Manjhi started off his extraordinary task in 1960, after his wife was injured while trekking up the side of one of the rocky footpaths. To reach the nearest hospital, he had to travel around the mountains, some 70 kilometers.Dashrath Manjhi-Indias mountainman

The laborer from Gehlour Hills in Bihar, India wanted his people to have easier access to doctors, schools, and opportunity. Armed with only a sledge hammer, chisel, and crowbar, he single-handedly began carving a road through the 300-foot mountain that isolated his village from the nearest town.

“People told Manjhi that he wouldn’t be able to do it,” said Dahu Manjhi, the man’s nephew, “that he is a poor man who just needs to earn and eat.”

He sold the family’s three goats to buy the hammer and chisels and worked every day on the project to make it a successful. After plowing fields for others in the morning, he would work on his road all evening and throughout the night.

He toiled from 1960 to 1982, having developed his own technique. He burned firewood on the rocks, then sprinkled water on the heated surface which cracked the boulders making it possible to reduce them to rubble.

Finally, the road was completed. With sides 25 feet high, the road is 30 feet wide and 360 feet in length. Because of his singular dedication, the distance to public services was reduced from 70km to just one.

It has been over three decades since the “Mountain Man,” as he was called, completed the road. The feat brought the Gehlour man international acclaim. After he died of cancer in 2007, Bihar’s Chief Minister gave him a State funeral. Though many believe he deserved it, he never received the Bharat Ratna, the nation’s highest civilian honor that recognizes “exceptional service” in the community.

“Now the whole society is worshiping him,” said Dahu, “but only after he died.”

Though his descendants now have easier access to hospitals and the outside world, people of his village still live in poverty. Carrying on the Mountain Man’s broader vision for economic progress, Manjhi’s lifelong friend has committed to opening a trade school in the village, setting up the Dashrath Manjhi Welfare Trust to inspire the youth and offer meaningful education to change their lives for the better. You can help.

Milaap.org, the micro-loan organization featured here, with their solar light project, is helping the 82 year-old social worker, Ram Charit Prasad, to raise the needed money through contributions. If you want to donate $25 or more, visit Milaap’s page here.

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/man-s...road-mountain/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gee, just think what he might have been able to accomplish, if only he had used both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Gee, just think what he might have been able to accomplish, if only he had used both hands.
    It may not have taken him 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    It may not have taken him 22 years.
    Was he getting paid by the hour?

EPA would have SWATed him if he had tried that in the U.S. Heck, it would have taken him 22 years just to get the permits.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    EPA would have SWATed him if he had tried that in the U.S. Heck, it would have taken him 22 years just to get the permits.
    Yeah right, he would have never gotten the permits.
    Too bad our elected officials are not as aggressively trying to reduce the federal deficit as they are trying to strip us of our constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Yeah right, he would have never gotten the permits.
    Instead he would probably be doing 22 years in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Instead he would probably be doing 22 years in prison.
    Oddly enough, probably hard labor.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, and that labor being to move rock to make a road.

That's the closest thing to Galt's Gulch I have ever seen on here.

Dude was being so $#@!ing selfish, working on a pet project for 22 years instead of spending time with his family and community.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

He would have broke out like Andy in Shawshank Redemption.

And I feel tired after moving a measly few hundreds of yards of red clay from beneath my own house.

The sting of shame is upon me as the flames of damnation.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

The moral of the story is: Anything is possible--never give up!

My grandfather helped dig the Holland Tunnel in the 1920's.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Wow. I'm so impressed. Good for him!

Who will build the roads? Folks like him.

RIP Dashrath Manjhi

Awesome and inspiring story! Now imagine what would have happened if just 10 of his critics had instead joined him.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. It would have taken a $25k environmental study where they would have found some rare bug and denied the construction.

As for the rest of his town. WTF, why not help the guy?