Thread: In states with the first 2016 primaries, Democrats ask: Where’s Hillary?

In states with the first 2016 primaries, Democrats ask: Where’s Hillary?

In Iowa, Democrats want to see Hillary Rodham Clinton mingling in their neighborhood coffee shops, answering their questions and sharing laughs. In New Hampshire, they expect her on their living-room couches, listening to their tales of struggle. In South Carolina, they’re eager to hold hands with her and pray together.

And in each of the early presidential primary and caucus states, Democratic activists are asking the same question: Where is Hillary?

As Clinton slow-walks her way into the 2016 presidential race, many of the Democratic front-runner’s most active supporters are concerned that she’s not yet doing the kind of face-to-face politicking that is well underway by a cast of a dozen or more likely Republican candidates.

Clinton’s absence has stoked unease among her impatient supporters, who also worry about her reputation as someone uncomfortable with the nitty-gritty of retail campaigning.

“They’re anxious because so many Republican candidates are coming here, they’re flowing in, and it’s like a parade on the other side,” said New Hampshire state Sen. Lou D’Allesandro, a top Clinton backer in 2008. “Obviously she’s going to run. They’re hoping she’s going to be here so they can actually see her and engage with her and reinvigorate the campaign.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...f69_story.html

-Virgil

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If she's not engaging with her supporters it will dampen their enthusiasm. Less enthusiasm could equal fewer votes which could cost her the election. I get the sense that when she does announce her candidacy it will be pretty stale. She's banking on her name recognition and polling numbers right now. If a young attractive fresh face entered the race with a very confident attitude I think Hillary's race could be over. The longer she waits .... the more frustration in the democratic base. July is way too far away.

Don't worry. The potential first womyn president will be given plenty of slack.

She will have to decide whether to come out for or against the current policies, depending on popularity with the primary voters. This is partly why she stepped down for Obama's 2nd term, and why it is to her advantage to wait as long as possible before making it official. And it is still possible that she does not run; in this case, it is advantageous to the party that she wait until some of the GOP candidates make their campaigns official. In this scenario, there will be GOP candidates running on "because Hillary" (see CPAC) for a few months, then she declines to run, and they get the rug pulled out from under them. I still cringe when I hear Rand say something like that, but I think he's one of the few who could recover from that.

Behind Bubba's back, she's out fooling around with Waldo.

About the "adult camp" speech:
    "From my perspective, you can't do enough of the relationship building." Clinton continued Thursday. "I did a lot of reaching across the aisle, working with people who had a lot of political differences with me. I saw my husband do that."

The former secretary of state regularly positions herself as someone willing to bridge political divides, but Thursday's remarks come just weeks before Clinton is expected to announce a presidential campaign and likely mirror how she will portray herself on the trail.

The remarks also could also be taken as a slight to President Barack Obama, who many political watchers feel has spent too little time building relationships. Obama aides have vehemently disputed that charge in the past, but even some Democrats on Capitol Hill have lamented the fact Obama is not like Clinton's husband -- former President Bill Clinton -- when it comes to relationship building.

Clinton also directed some of her criticism at Congress, a target the likely 2016 candidate has become fond of in the last few days.

"People who claim proudly never to compr[om]ise should not be in the Congress of the United States because I don't think I or anybody have all the answers," she said. "I think we can actually learn things from each other."
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politi...amp/index.html

Watch for her statements against partisanship to get stronger over the next few weeks.

Why would she go anywhere to campaign and risk a gaffe? She is 50 points ahead in the polls. She won, the democratic primary is over. She can sit back and take no positions on any issues that could hurt her in the general.