Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for those around in 08 and 12

Questions for those around in 08 and 12

So I come on here every 2 years but mostly during the primaries, been around since 07 and want to get a perspective on how things are going right now. I have a few questions I was hoping some of you could answer:

1. Does it seem like most Ron supporters will support Rand this time around?

2. I remember how caucuses and primaries come down to local politics. So how are we doing in that regard? I remember last elections (2012) we made some gains in Iowa, Nevada and some other states. Is that still the case?

3. Comparing to Ron in 2012 what do you think Rand's chances are in the early primaries this year?

My very uninformed .02 :
    -If we came damn close to winning Iowa, Rand certainly has a good chance this year to take it (or at least that's my impression)
    - not sure what polling in NH shows, but you would think he has good chance there as well
    - Rand is much more liked by SoCons and mainstream republicans than his father was and if we were able to put up a good fight with the media, establishment and mainstream republicans against us in 12 I think we certainly have a good shot this election, or at least I hope.

Thoughts?
    Pledge to get Ron Paul to RUN in 2012!!!RunPaulRun

Newt Gingrich

TIRED of the media censoring of Paul www.blitzthemedia.com

Support http://www.operationbroadcastfreedom.com/ to get those great ads on TV in Iowa and NH!

Look at this excellent video to see why we must retake our country and how to do it!
    An Idea Whose Time Has Come - G. Edward Griffin - Freedom Force International

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1 - Depends. If we get $#@! on and told to hit the road and lied to, like what happened in 2012, probably not. If we are embraced as a valuable asset and listened to and not looked at like a bunch of kooks, then yes.

2 - Rand will probably be able to do well in IA and NH (especially with Mutt gone). Unless he gathers a ton of momentum, (meaning he wins both handily) he will die in the Warvangelical South.

3 - Better, at least so far. His "Big Tent" appeasement stances seemed to have helped slightly with the "mainstream" GOP crowd.

Among the people I know in NH, I cannot use the word most. 1 or 2 people were just hired in NH to help with that issue.

3. Comparing to Ron in 2012 what do you think Rand's chances are in the early primaries this year?
    Ron never had a chance in NH in 2012 because of all the work Mitt Romney had done in NH for so many years. Now that Romney isn't running Rand actually had a chance at winning. The field is open and 4 or 5 other candidates could also win.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I think this has been and is evolution, not the r3VOJution we envisioned. I think we are softening enough socon hearts that it's getting hard to define 'us' and 'them' in many county GOP organizations. I think it's encouraging that the powers that be seem more interested in causing us to lose faith, and in making people think that Rand's message won't actually appeal to independents and the tens of millions of betrayed Democrats in the general election (even though there's no question that it will).

I think it's now us against the mudslinging media. And unless they flat shut down the internet, we stand a very good chance of pulling this off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

First, Welcome back! + rep

To answer you questions as I see them:
    1. Most will, however probably not with the same fervency.
    2. We've made some gains, but we quickly lost a lot of them. Seems that once Ron Paul dropped out of politics, the apathy returned in many regards. Our activism died out a little. Hopefully, it will pick back up with Rand. Of course, Rand should also be able to attract a decent amount of people who are already insiders.
    3. Rand's chances are incredibly better. He actually has one. We all know the reasons, but Ron was not even acceptable to a large swath of GOP voters. Rand is. The trick is not to win over every voter 100%, but to keep him as an acceptable alternative.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    1 - Depends. If we get $#@! on and told to hit the road and lied to, like what happened in 2012, probably not. If we are embraced as a valuable asset and listened to and not looked at like a bunch of kooks, then yes.

2 - Rand will probably be able to do well in IA and NH (especially with Mutt gone). Unless he gathers a ton of momentum, (meaning he wins both handily) he will die in the Warvangelical South.

3 - Better, at least so far. His "Big Tent" appeasement stances seemed to have helped slightly with the "mainstream" GOP crowd.
    I also agree with this assessment. I will only add that I think Rand's people will give two $#@!s about Ron's supporters coming to help him. They are going to bank on large donors to drive them and will really dismiss all of us imo. I can personally say i'm not going to donate to his campaign until I see him prove otherwise (the fact Benton is back on board I think pretty much proves my point). If he doesn't do well in Iowa and NH he's going to find himself in a world of hurt until we get to Nevada.
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by tsetsefly View Post
    Not to the extent that Ron was supported. There will be few spontaneous groups.
    The message for the last three years seems to have been "Rand is going to win by hoodwinking the Republican establishment into following him".
    Some Ron supporters think this is a good idea.
    Some others are wondering how bait-and-switch is a good political philosophy.
    Others realize that time, talent, and money need not be given to Rand, since the point is to get the Republican rank-and-file behind him. So message received: we're not needed.

2. I remember how caucuses and primaries come down to local politics. So how are we doing in that regard? I remember last elections (2012) we made some gains in Iowa, Nevada and some other states. Is that still the case?
    Again, all I've heard is that this is a media game at this point and we're just going to ignore the fact that they broke people's hips and shut down entire state conventions to keep his father out of power, and just hope it doesn't happen to Rand, too.

I think anything other than a 1st place finish in every one the first 10 primaries/caucuses is going to get written off.
    The mainstream media will crown their champion - perhaps a new one every month, like in 2012, but a champion will be crowned nonetheless.
    And it will not be Rand.
    So anything less than a 1st place finish in 10 consecutive primaries - or something equally unignoreable (and equally ridiculously impossible) stands a good chance of being swept under the carpet.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Thanks for your answers. There certainly doesn't seem to be much optimism here, I do think Rand will needs his father's supporters if he wants to win.

Newt Gingrich

Support http://www.operationbroadcastfreedom.com/ to get those great ads on TV in Iowa and NH!

Look at this excellent video to see why we must retake our country and how to do it!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So I come on here every 2 years but mostly during the primaries, been around since 07 and want to get a perspective on how things are going right now. I have a few questions I was hoping some of you could answer:

My very uninformed .02 :
    -If we came damn close to winning Iowa, Rand certainly has a good chance this year to take it (or at least that's my impression)
    - not sure what polling in NH shows, but you would think he has good chance there as well
    - Rand is much more liked by SoCons and mainstream republicans than his father was and if we were able to put up a good fight with the media, establishment and mainstream republicans against us in 12 I think we certainly have a good shot this election, or at least I hope.

Thoughts?
    1. Yes, but many are busy with other things at the moment. We need to reach out to them.

2. Can't answer this as I'm not in an important or very active state. It might be a little too early to tell.

3. Based on early polling and organization, Rand seems to be in a better position than Ron was.

There certainly doesn't seem to be much optimism here
    Not sure if we are reading the same posts?

1. Mostly yes. The Ron supporters I know personally support Rand but not with the same intensity. I hear of some people that will not support Rand but they are few and I wonder if they're blowing off steam and will come around.

2. I can only speak to Iowa. In my county we infuriated most of the establishment in 2008 and 2012. Things have calmed down now and bridges have been mended. The party regulars know our names and faces and generally like and respect us. Much will be determined by the campaigns of the presidential candidates. Messaging is key. If Rand screws that up then it will be hard for us to bring people to his side. I have not heard any outspoken dislike for Rand. I have heard much support for Carson and Cruz. Now with Walker in the mix things could be tough for Rand to gain a plurality. We've made tons of gains in Iowa but have lost many of those gains. Most of those losses were with the make-up of state party leadership. On a local level most of our success is still intact as far as I can tell.

3. I don't see Rand doing worse, relatively, than his father in Iowa. I think that is his 'floor' of support barring some sort of catastrophe.

My very uninformed .02 :

Thoughts?
    1. Not everyone will immediately be on board. There are 2, maybe 4 people who won't support Rand if he goes on a run.

2. Most of the 2012 Paul supporters elected to the state GOPs and some of the locals have since been removed, but there are some exceptions. Some of these people (like AJ Spiker) have been hired for what will become Rand 2016.

3. If Huck or Walker is in, Rand will have a tough time doing anything better than 2nd in Iowa. I think he could beat Jeb in Iowa, and Jeb, Walker in NH.

There certainly doesn't seem to be much optimism here, I do think Rand will needs his father's supporters if he wants to win.
    I don't necessarily want you to answer this question. I just want you to consider it...

What did all that optimism from the past 2 presidential elections really accomplish?

In my opinion optimism can be a positive factor as long as it doesn't become delusion. It's one thing to say "we're gonna win!" at the beginning. It's another thing to continue saying that when it's already a lost cause, and the campaign quits, and Ron's son endorses the obvious nominee, which is what many of us did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Not sure if we are reading the same posts?
    In this thread I mean.

Newt Gingrich

Probably.

Not too good.

Very good.

My very uninformed .02 :

Thoughts?
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I don't necessarily want you to answer this question. I just want you to consider it...

What did all that optimism from the past 2 presidential elections really accomplish?

In my opinion optimism can be a positive factor as long as it doesn't become delusion. It's one thing to say "we're gonna win!" at the beginning. It's another thing to continue saying that when it's already a lost cause, and the campaign quits, and Ron's son endorses the obvious nominee, which is what many of us did.
    Nothing, but the uphill battle Ron had was much more than Rand has, and he came 7-8 points away from winning Iowa. I thought that was a big accomplishment as well as gains made in local GOP positions (which might have been lost already).

What I am hoping for is the same people that were on these boards in 12 for Ron will be here for Rand in 16.

Newt Gingrich

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I think the "optimism" behind Ron was the idea that we didn't have to play by the established rules.
    We could, instead, play by the written rules - the ones that were were actually supposed to be using, not the ones that the powers-that-be were enforcing - and actually have a chance of getting somewhere.
    The idea that we could learn the system and game it, and not feel bad about it, because the people who wrote those rules intended the system to be gamed this way.

The idea that we could organize on the internet in ways never seen before, could choose not to do fundraising the normal way and still succeed.

Things were moving. Progress was being made. We all knew our original guy wasn't going to win. But it wasn't about that - it was always about redefining everything. And redefining the way people get elected was an important part of that.

Then our new messiah stood in front of a camera and announced that all of that would be done away with. All of our new rules were going to be immediately retired, and we'd start sticking with the old rules from now on - starting with an endorsement.

There's a lot of good in Rand. He will make a fine candidate. I do hope he lights a fire under some asses, but mine is cold out and wrapped in asbestos.

As I've said before - Rand is a damned fine bacon cheeseburger. And there's ordinarily nothing wrong with bacon cheeseburgers.
    Unfortunately, his father is 45 day dry aged pan fried prime rib. I ate quite a lot of it, and I'm never going to be in the mood for bacon cheeseburgers again.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    The idea that we could learn the system and game it, and not feel bad about it, because the people who wrote those rules intended the system to be gamed this way.
    on this, we can agree.

what we cannot agree on... is quitting.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Warvangelical South
    And don't forget the (maybe bigger?) Warman Catholic South, where Gingerich and Santorum did well.

Rand and his followers will be allowed to participate long enough for them to get used to being a part of the system. Then Rand will be cut loose and his followers will be encouraged to throw their support to whatever pro war/Israel firster seem to have the best chance at the nomination.

Rand will be asked to endorse whoever that is.

My guess is that it will be Cruz,...but it's too early to say.

If Rand doesn't win Iowa and/or New Hampshire I hope he concedes and doesn't drag it out like the 2012 campaign. The one thing I regret about 2012 is donating after New Hampshire. Ron was on the cusp of winning Iowa but then he let Santorum run away with it. We can blame the media, but the fact is Santorum ran an aggressive retail politics campaign. If I remember correctly, Ron pretty much left the state shortly before the caucus.

Fortunately, even with the stronger candidates this time, Rand has already been campaigning and has the strategy and resources necessary to win the straw poll & delegates. The base might not be as energized, but Rand will have a greater variety of supporters. If he actually does get the nomination, I think that's when you'll see all the "Ron Paul People" come back.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Personally, while I'm less excited about a President Rand than a President Ron, that is counterbalanced by my excitement that Rand has so much better of a chance of winning than Ron did. So in that regard, I'm excited.

I think a lot of the people who are not currently excited to fight for Rand in this election cycle, once things get moving and there's events and debates and caucuses and it's us against the rest of the GOP again, I think a lot of them will rediscover their inner politico.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    If Rand doesn't win Iowa and/or New Hampshire I hope he concedes and doesn't drag it out like the 2012 campaign. The one thing I regret about 2012 is donating after New Hampshire. Ron was on the cusp of winning Iowa but then he let Santorum run away with it. We can blame the media, but the fact is Santorum ran an aggressive retail politics campaign. If I remember correctly, Ron pretty much left the state shortly before the caucus.

Fortunately, even with the stronger candidates this time, Rand has already been campaigning and has the strategy and resources necessary to win the straw poll & delegates. The base might not be as energized, but Rand will have a greater variety of supporters. If he actually does get the nomination, I think that's when you'll see all the "Ron Paul People" come back.
    I think Rand wins both Iowa and NH. The reason Ron couldn't get over the hump in Iowa, even with the best ground game, was because he didn't have practically any religious conservatives or establishment conservatives. Rand has both of those.

Also, when you mix Rand's high ranking in the polls with his unconventional foreign policy views, he is going to be the one in the primaries that everyone is talking about and everyone is going after. It's going to be the Rand show in the primaries.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Also, when you mix Rand's high ranking in the polls with his unconventional foreign policy views, he is going to be the one in the primaries that everyone is talking about and everyone is going after. It's going to be the Rand show in the primaries.
    yeah, that is what I thought also. back in 07.
    by the time that I joined this site, we had our asses handed to us.

I joined both the DP and RPF's at about the same time.
    to meet people for the Rally for the Republic and make plans..

we all knew that we had lost. we did it anyhow.

what were we fighting for Sola_fide?

Last edited by HVACTech; 03-25-2015 at 10:58 PM.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    yeah, that is what I thought also. back in 07.
    by the time that I joined this site, we had our asses handed to us.

I joined both the DP and RPF's at about the same time.
    to meet people for the Rally for the Republic and make plans..

we all knew that we had lost. we did it anyhow.

what were we fighting for Sola_fide?
    Hard to say. For everyone I'm sure it's different. I personally don't think that change will come from politics, but if Rand can slow the approach of leviathan to any degree, it would be good. I think there may be value in having Rand provide a reason that others may look into the ideas of freedom, and when they do that, they will see the sham this whole system really is. I just view Rand as a (distant) ally in a quest for freedom.

Hard to say. For everyone I'm sure it's different. I personally don't think that change will come from politics, but if Rand can slow the approach of leviathan to any degree, it would be good. I think there may be value in having Rand provide a reason that others may look into the ideas of freedom, and when they do that, they will see the sham this whole system really is. I just view Rand as a (distant) ally in a quest for freedom.
    Liberty and Freedom are NOT the same thing.

Rand is NOT doing this to "Save his soul" and yes. that is the ONLY thing that is important to you.

I would have wrote more.. but I am being Jacked with by a
    " debug script" thing.
    Last edited by HVACTech; 03-25-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    Liberty and Freedom are NOT the same thing.

Rand is NOT doing this to "Save his soul" and yes. that is the ONLY thing that is important to you.
    I agree that Rand isn't doing this to "save his soul". Most people lose their soul when they seek power. But to say that other things are not important to me is not correct. For a Biblical Christian, yes, salvation is the most important issue, but freedom is also important, because the Bible teaches property and individual sovereignty.

So while salvation is the most important thing to a Biblical Christian, it is not the only thing he cares about.

HVACTECH, here is a primer on the Biblical Christian view of freedom and capitalism:

John Robbins Lecture Series On Christian Free Market Economics
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...rket-Economics

So while salvation is the most important thing to a Biblical Christian, it is not the only thing he cares about.
    I will take you at your word.

can you tell which "Ken" I am?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast