Thread: Harvard Admissions Employee: Ivy League Admissions Are a Scam

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Harvard Admissions Employee: Ivy League Admissions Are a Scam

Really really interesting..

http://gawker.com/ivy-league-admissi...arv-1690402410

This is stupid and wrong. The "self" of the average 18-year-old comes out the best in things like GPAs and SATs and extracurricular tests: it's easiest to measure how sharp someone is, how quickly they will respond to new ideas, and how much of a work ethic they have in calculated, standardized measures.

But the vast majority of elite school applicants are a long way from becoming a whole, self-actualized person. It's not their fault; only they've never faced real threats to their existence, had people depending on them for food and shelter, or lived in actual poverty for any amount of time.

Yet for the last few years, it's felt like the normal, inquisitive, relatively unfiltered teenager of the early 2000's has been replaced by dozens of little Russell Wilsons. Gone are the hard edges and the unintentional flashes of personality that made it seem like I was actually getting something accomplished in the course of (most) of these interviews. Nowadays, I've gotten layers of carefully-constructed defenses, designed to reveal only the most admission-friendly parts of the student.

Just once I would have loved to get an applicant who called out a stupid, predictable question for being what it is instead of dutifully reciting an impossibly trite, hand-wavingly general answer that cannot apply to all that many people. Someone who didn't sound like Mitt Romney when trying to relate to the challenges faced by people without blue blood.

Instead, I've seen a boringly predictable, on-trend parade of general excellence, like eating a dozen cronuts for dinner. It's interesting in the abstract, but the palate needs cleansing after a while. Hearing the liberal-upper-middle-class consensus view of the world (but with a twist, like backpacking through Southeast Asia!) certainly does not hurt an applicant. On the other hand, if I wanted that I would just sit on the toilet and listen to NPR.
    Last edited by AuH20; 03-18-2015 at 01:17 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It was interesting to see what Harvard's logo is for the first time while watching the tourney earlier.

An 'H' on a red shield. Not that it surprised me really but it's right out in the open.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

This is just like the Pickup Artist thread. You could compare a man trying to get laid to a high school student applying to college. In both cases the "applicants" do what they do because it works, but then the gatekeepers complain about it being trite and impersonal.

The parallels are actually pretty astonishing.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    It was interesting to see what Harvard's logo is for the first time while watching the tourney earlier.

An 'H' on a red shield. Not that it surprised me really but it's right out in the open.
    I assume this is because you are aware of the German translation of 'Rothschild', correct?

Roth (old spelling) = red, Schild = shield
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    I assume this is because you are aware of the German translation of 'Rothschild', correct?

Roth (old spelling) = red, Schild = shield
    Of course.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by willwash View Post
    This is just like the Pickup Artist thread. You could compare a man trying to get laid to a high school student applying to college. In both cases the "applicants" do what they do because it works, but then the gatekeepers complain about it being trite and impersonal.

The parallels are actually pretty astonishing.
    Astute observation.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

OP:
    A liberal complaining about liberal white privilege. A just god would have the whole institution implode upon itself.

if I wanted that I would just sit on the toilet and listen to NPR.
    Drinking from the toilet, more appropriately .
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus