Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All (non-daytrading) Libertarians should make preparations now for the Great Scoop ($80-150)

All (non-daytrading) Libertarians should make preparations now for the Great Scoop ($80-150)

The good chartists out there that seem to hit their targets quite well unanimously agree that the final leg down is in that range, ($80-$150). Setting a spread of descending limit orders is best IMO if you aren't the kind of person that likes to watch the markets all the time.

Now is the best time to begin researching how you would like to buy Bitcoin. The preparation time you will be afforded for that price range I believe will be about 1-3 months. Presence, WVPaul, newbitech...I'd like your thoughts as well...

As for buying Bitcoin, a lot of people like Coinbase because of the instant $1K after registering. I'm not a fan of Coinbase, personally. Too American. (isn't that sad to say?)

I've been using Bitstamp. But I also pay my welfare queens their "entitled" taxes regardless.

Would really like to see more RPF members involved and asking more questions. We are here to help you.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    nm//
    Last edited by Carlybee; 03-15-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    The good chartists out there that seem to hit their targets quite well unanimously agree that the final leg down is in that range, ($80-$150). Setting a spread of descending limit orders is best IMO if you aren't the kind of person that likes to watch the markets all the time.

Now is the best time to begin researching how you would like to buy Bitcoin. The preparation time you will be afforded for that price range I believe will be about 1-3 months. Presence, WVPaul, newbitech...I'd like your thoughts as well...

As for buying Bitcoin, a lot of people like Coinbase because of the instant $1K after registering. I'm not a fan of Coinbase, personally. Too American. (isn't that sad to say?)

I've been using Bitstamp. But I also pay my welfare queens their "entitled" taxes regardless.

Would really like to see more RPF members involved and asking more questions. We are here to help you.
    I tend to agree. We've come up and kissed the long-tern downtrend line, but we haven't broken it yet. We're sitting just under it now, so I expect some sideways before we start the descent. I made some good profit on the recent price action so now I'm just sitting back and enjoying it.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Considering, is anybody shorting and leveraging to the hilt at this point?

Honey Badger Enterprise says hold 6 more days minimum.

S 349
    B 312
    S 322
    B 205
    S 249
    B 255

Holding BTC.

285 Last

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I would not listen to "the best chartists" as that doesn't really exist. If they really were the best they would be retired and not pushing their charts on Tradingview or selling a service. Some of them offer good viewpoints and I enjoy reading them, but it certainly should not be investment advice. Most of the charts on Tradingview don't even include volume analysis, how am I supposed to take that seriously? And don't even get me started on Elliot Wave nonsense, which seems very en vogue right now but offers investors dozens of possible outcomes from one trading setup.

As a trader, you need to separate yourself from outside influences and seek to understand the market on your own.

The fact is, nobody is that interested in buying Bitcoin right now and certainly won't be if it crashes to $150 again. The public doesn't buy down markets, they buy up markets when everyone else is buying. During down markets, they are preaching doom and gloom while the smart money accumulates. During up markets, they are preaching moon while the smart money sells on their heads. That's just how professional traders operate, and until human psychology changes their methods won't either.

The best advice I would offer the public if they are interested in a position in Bitcoin is to dollar cost average during down markets and plan on holding for a couple years.

If the "experts" were always right and knew everything they would be trillionaires. If they are right most of the time, they should be billionaires.

Could not agree more with the last two posts...
    It's just an opinion... man...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amonasro View Post
    I would not listen to "the best chartists" as that doesn't really exist. If they really were the best they would be retired and not pushing their charts on Tradingview or selling a service. Some of them offer good viewpoints and I enjoy reading them, but it certainly should not be investment advice. Most of the charts on Tradingview don't even include volume analysis, how am I supposed to take that seriously? And don't even get me started on Elliot Wave nonsense, which seems very en vogue right now but offers investors dozens of possible outcomes from one trading setup.

As a trader, you need to separate yourself from outside influences and seek to understand the market on your own.

The fact is, nobody is that interested in buying Bitcoin right now and certainly won't be if it crashes to $150 again. The public doesn't buy down markets, they buy up markets when everyone else is buying. During down markets, they are preaching doom and gloom while the smart money accumulates. During up markets, they are preaching moon while the smart money sells on their heads. That's just how professional traders operate, and until human psychology changes their methods won't either.

The best advice I would offer the public if they are interested in a position in Bitcoin is to dollar cost average during down markets and plan on holding for a couple years.
    Winner winner chicken dinner!
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

Bitcoin is not an investment and should not be considered an investment. It is a speculation.

It is a particularly speculative speculation.

Technical analysis, of all the superstitions held by traders, has probably the least amount of value. There is no "head and shoulders" there is no "support" there is no "leg down" and there is no "Great Scoop". All nonsense, all worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Considering, is anybody shorting and leveraging to the hilt at this point?
    Not yet. It could go sideways for a while and those fees add up quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If the "experts" were always right and knew everything they would be trillionaires. If they are right most of the time, they should be billionaires.
    Some of them are decent and are just millionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Bitcoin is not an investment and should not be considered an investment. It is a speculation.

Technical analysis, of all the superstitions held by traders, has probably the least amount of value. There is no "head and shoulders" there is no "support" there is no "leg down" and there is no "Great Scoop". All nonsense, all worthless.
    Don't knock it till you try it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Don't knock it till you try it.
    Just stating my opinion. You should perhaps instead advise me "Don't laud it till you have scientific, independently-verified evidence that it works." That would, in fact, be better advice.

Will you be putting up your personal portfolio as publicly-viewable evidence for us to track as to how successful your methods are?

Some of them are decent and are just millionaires.
    And there aren't very many of those.

Speculating on a volitile speculative investment is a great way to give away money.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just stating my opinion. You should perhaps instead advise me "Don't laud it till you have scientific, independently-verified evidence that it works." That would, in fact, be better advice.
    Proponents of TA will never be able to provide this. It's educated guessing. Markets do have structure and cycles that repeat, and when you begin to understand that one can find opportunities that yield a favorable risk/reward ratio. I found out long ago that trading on indicators and patterns alone without understanding what the market has done in the recent past will simply lead to frustration. One really needs a deeper understanding of the market and figure out what and who moves it.

Personally I only use indicators to see what the retail traders and bots are up to. It's important to know why they work and be familiar with the most common ones, but overall price, volume and support/resistance are king.

Speculating on a volitile speculative investment is a great way to give away money.
    Speak for yourself. Plenty of money to be made if you know what you're doing. It takes some balls, but so does doing anything worthwhile in life.

Proponents of TA will never be able to provide this. It's educated guessing. Markets do have structure and cycles that repeat, and when you begin to understand that one can find opportunities that yield a favorable risk/reward ratio. I found out long ago that trading on indicators and patterns alone without understanding what the market has done in the recent past will simply lead to frustration. One really needs a deeper understanding of the market and figure out what and who moves it.

Personally I only use indicators to see what the retail traders and bots are up to. It's important to know why they work and be familiar with the most common ones, but overall price, volume and support/resistance are king.
    Would you agree, then, with my general sum-up opinion on speculation that it's an art more than a science? Someone great at it wouldn't necessarily be able to even explain to you after the fact why they made a certain trade, or if they tried it might not be accurate. They may not even know, themselves. You can't learn it from a book, any more than you could read a book about "How to write great music" and expect to become the next John Lennon or Bach. It's internal. It's fuzzy. Not everyone is going to be good at it. It's a "knack."

Speak for yourself. Plenty of money to be made if you know what you're doing. It takes some balls, but so does doing anything worthwhile in life.
    Meaning luck and having money you can afford to lose. You CAN make money but many do not. Even those who think they know what they are doing can lose lots of money. I am more risk adverse- buy and hold (I do not have any bitcoin). And yes, I am just speaking for myself. Others may have different tolerances for risk.

More red cars than white cars passed my house today. A solid indicator we will knockup against 300 again. If we can have the elusive purple car day, I'm confident can break 400.

Will you be putting up your personal portfolio as publicly-viewable evidence for us to track as to how successful your methods are?
    Obviously the sensitive nature of one's finances puts a lot of strain on people seeking "evidence". Suffice it to say, though, a lot of people do make money this way, and yes, I am one of them. The key, of course, is not being right, it's about placing a probability on a trade and managing risk. Patterns are very effective at this by defining areas of support and resistance that act as barriers to the price that should not be crossed if the model is correct. Yes, I have seen this in action and your claim that there is no "support or resistance" is quite frankly absurd. You can see this very clearly just by looking at the price action on the chart. It's plain as day to anyone who knows what to look for.

One of the things that turns people off is that there are often very many levels of support or resistance within close proximity to one another, but you can reasonably expect a certain trend with breaks of key support or resistance levels.

I still hold by my original statement that you should not knock it until you try it because there are many people who have tried it and it would be absurd for you to claim to know more about it than they do while making absolutely no effort to even understand it. You don't even have to trade to understand it, so you really have no excuse for telling people it doesn't work without even knowing anything about it.

Would you agree, then, with my general sum-up opinion on speculation that it's an art more than a science? Someone great at it wouldn't necessarily be able to even explain to you after the fact why they made a certain trade, or if they tried it might not be accurate. They may not even know, themselves. You can't learn it from a book, any more than you could read a book about "How to write great music" and expect to become the next John Lennon or Bach. It's internal. It's fuzzy. Not everyone is going to be good at it. It's a "knack."
    I guess you could subscribe to the belief that these people just have innate luck and can't really explain what they're doing, but it goes against the fundamentals of scientific thinking, in which a repeatable test is deemed to be valid based on the fact that it's repeatable. If you can repeat it, there's no reason to think you can't understand why it keeps working.

The topic of predictive analysis is what I find interesting...

One of many explanation threads ---> https://www.tradingview.com/v/kbjPw4sh/
    BTC/Yuan ---> https://www.tradingview.com/v/S9D9Chhg/

I combine it with my own style of setting a spread of orders depending on whether I want to get out or in.

I've been trading since about 550 spot or so as it dropped. Mistakes are made (for me when I deviate from my own plan) but we are beating the market. No I won't post my portfolio, but we've been posting a lot of our entry's and exits in the presence thread for people to follow.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Suffice it to say, though, a lot of people do make money this way, and yes, I am one of them.
    Oh, come on. You've been doing this for what, a year and a half? Get serious. Set your sights a little higher.

The key, of course, is not being right, it's about placing a probability on a trade and managing risk. Patterns are very effective at this by defining areas of support and resistance that act as barriers to the price that should not be crossed if the model is correct. Yes, I have seen this in action and your claim that there is no "support or resistance" is quite frankly absurd. You can see this very clearly just by looking at the price action on the chart. It's plain as day to anyone who knows what to look for.

One of the things that turns people off is that there are often very many levels of support or resistance within close proximity to one another, but you can reasonably expect a certain trend with breaks of key support or resistance levels.

I still hold by my original statement that you should not knock it until you try it because there are many people who have tried it and it would be absurd for you to claim to know more about it than they do while making absolutely no effort to even understand it. You don't even have to trade to understand it, so you really have no excuse for telling people it doesn't work without even knowing anything about it.

I guess you could subscribe to the belief that these people just have innate luck and can't really explain what they're doing, but it goes against the fundamentals of scientific thinking, in which a repeatable test is deemed to be valid based on the fact that it's repeatable. If you can repeat it, there's no reason to think you can't understand why it keeps working.
    Calmarse, Paul. Look, again, what I wrote about speculation is: it's more an art than a science.

Now what does that mean? Are you under the impression that I would claim that art does not exist? Or perhaps even that art is theoretically impossible? Or that art is inferior to science?

Speculation exists. Speculation is fine -- for money you can afford to lose. Nothing wrong with speculation, as long as you have your eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by muh_roads View Post
    The topic of predictive analysis is what I find interesting...
    Interesting, yes. What's perhaps most interesting about the matho-jumbo voodoo we call technical analysis is how many people people believe it, utterly believe it, when there is no evidence that it works, no causal explanation of why it possibly should work, and reams of contrary evidence showing that it absolutely does not work. In contrast, very few people base their speculative trading on cloud patterns, a practice for which there are no reams of contrary evidence showing that it doesn't work.

Interesting.

Mistakes are made (for me when I deviate from my own plan) but we are beating the market.
    Beating what market? The Bitcoin market?

I'm sincerely glad for you if you've happened to realize a positive return using whatever techniques, even if they make no sense to me. I'm just kind of giving my opinion, and maybe sounding a warning voice to any tempted by your siren call of easy money.

What's perhaps most interesting about the matho-jumbo voodoo we call technical analysis is how many people people believe it, utterly believe it, when there is no evidence that it works

Here I have plotted a very simple 90/20 12h moving average cross against:

# 1 - LTCUSD
    # 2 - DDD 3D Systems
    # 3 - QCOR Questcor Pharmaceuticals
    # 4 - MTGOX pre 2012
    # 5 - EBIX
    # 6 - LTCBTC
    # 7 - Polycom Inc

https://tradewave.net/strategy/EDiQXzOKnj

A simple BTCUSD version that doesn't import stock data is here:

https://tradewave.net/strategy/zlJMRckBNN

You can speed up or slow down time and see that the simple cross beats the market and gains shares in almost all circumstances.

no causal explanation of why it possibly should work
    Quantitative Analysis works for one very simple reason:

Mean Reversion

even if they make no sense to me
    Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean Berkshire Hathaway doesn't employ platoons of Technical Analysts at $150k a pop.
    Last edited by presence; 03-17-2015 at 10:58 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Here I have plotted a very simple 90/20 12h moving average cross against:

# 1 - LTCUSD
    # 2 - DDD 3D Systems
    # 3 - QCOR Questcor Pharmaceuticals
    # 4 - MTGOX pre 2012
    # 5 - EBIX
    # 6 - LTCBTC
    # 7 - Polycom Inc

https://tradewave.net/strategy/EDiQXzOKnj
    There's ten charts there. The first two appear to show your hypothetical portfolio vs. LTCBTC trade volume. Actually, they all do, except the last, which shows the imaginary portfolio vs. MTGOX volume. What are you trying to show/prove/demonstrate by posting these particular charts here?

Why don't you do a #8 of Apple Corp. And a #9 of peanut futures. I mean, explain to me this: why, exactly, should I expect Bitcoin to go up after QCOR goes up, and down after QCOR goes down? What in the world does QCOR have to do with Bitcoin?

Impressive! So what's the mean, presence? QCOR? Really? Why? It would seem like determining just what the mean is would be an important first step to taking advantage of any kind of "mean reversion" phenomenon. So let's figure it out. What's the mean?

Just because you don't understand it
    Just wondering... Are you claiming that you do understand it?

Meaning luck and having money you can afford to lose. You CAN make money but many do not. Even those who think they know what they are doing can lose lots of money. I am more risk adverse- buy and hold (I do not have any bitcoin). And yes, I am just speaking for myself. Others may have different tolerances for risk.
    Interesting, yes. What's perhaps most interesting about the matho-jumbo voodoo we call technical analysis is how many people people believe it, utterly believe it, when there is no evidence that it works, no causal explanation of why it possibly should work, and reams of contrary evidence showing that it absolutely does not work. In contrast, very few people base their speculative trading on cloud patterns, a practice for which there are no reams of contrary evidence showing that it doesn't work.
    There is absolutely risk involved but I wouldn't call successful trading luck or interpretation of TA mumbo-jumbo.

In most markets where there is profit to be made, there are professional traders feeding on the public's fear: fear of missing out on profit (in a bull market) and fear of loss (in a bear market) that tend to drive prices to extremes. Once you understand how they use these fears to affect market cycles (accumulation--markup--distribution--markdown) all you really have to do is recognize this behavior and join them. Markets move on supply and demand and little else. If you recognize market participants quietly accumulating an increasing line of stock at the bottom of a market, the available supply of it to sell will decrease and the price will naturally go up. You'll see this reflected in the price and volume before it happens if you know what to look for. If they are selling their holdings at a market top, you'll see mirror-opposite structures indicating distribution which will flood the market with supply and push prices down. The classic head and shoulders pattern for example, is a distribution pattern. The reverse head and shoulders is an accumulation pattern. Continuation patterns are a study of when buying and selling forces are in relative harmony and price moves sideways in order to guage supply versus demand to predict which way the price will go next. Obviously this is not an exact science, it is an art, which is why there is no mathematical proof that it works. But markets have undergone these cycles for hundreds of years, so it must be working for someone.

Chart patterns are a reflection of supply and demand in a market, their structure driven largely by professionals with huge bankrolls manipulating the fear of the majority. This is why most inexperienced traders lose money. The fact is, humans as a group when presented with opportunity or crisis, act in similar ways: Joe Blow will not buy Bitcoin at $250, but he will buy at $600-$800-$1000 out of fear of missing out, having watched the price skyrocket for months and his friends make huge profits. If the price goes higher, he will not sell. Instead, he will sell at $180 during a market capitulation, having watched in fear for months as his investment goes down the drain. And the traders (having bought much lower) will be there at $800 selling to him. The same traders (with plans to sell higher) will be more than willing to take them off his hands at $180. This process simply repeats over and over.
    Last edited by amonasro; 03-17-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Oh, come on. You've been doing this for what, a year and a half? Get serious. Set your sights a little higher.
    What in the world are you talking about? What do you presume to know about how high or low my sights are currently set? Are you insinuating that a year and a half is too long to be making money and that I should be a billionaire by now? If I'm making money, why should I stop? What else should I be doing? Trading doesn't really get in the way of anything because you choose your own hours.

In reality, I haven't been "doing this" very long. When I started, I was completely ignorant, but I have learned a lot and I have a teacher and I do pretty well. There's no secret key to knowing every single move, but there are certain high-probability areas that come maybe 2 or 3 times a month that give you a very good trade setup on which you can make real money.

Calmarse, Paul. Look, again, what I wrote about speculation is: it's more an art than a science.

Now what does that mean? Are you under the impression that I would claim that art does not exist? Or perhaps even that art is theoretically impossible? Or that art is inferior to science?

Speculation exists. Speculation is fine -- for money you can afford to lose. Nothing wrong with speculation, as long as you have your eyes open.
    I never said anything about my impression of your claims or the theoretical probability of art being real. I guess my concern is that you really need to define what you mean by "art" and how it is different from science. The patterns, the support and resistance, they're all real! What is this notion of "art" you're getting, where are you getting it from, and why do you call it that? Sure, some aspects of charting can be artistic, but that doesn't take away the hard, logical basis on which traders base their strategies.

By the way, I had to look up the word "calmarse" which seems to be derived from the words "calm" and "arse" (ass). I really don't understand why you chose to use it, but I assure you my arse is calm.
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 03-17-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast