Thread: Hillary Clinton, Marco Rubio, and the Ill-Fated Wars They Supported

Hillary Clinton, Marco Rubio, and the Ill-Fated Wars They Supported

Hillary Clinton, Marco Rubio, and the Ill-Fated Wars They Supported
    Why aren't foreign-policy blunders this significant disqualifying for presidential hopefuls?
    Conor Friedersdorf - Mar 12 2015

When the U.S. helped to oust Libya's dictator from power, supporters of the intervention included Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Susan Rice, Samantha Power, Nancy Pelosi, Marco Rubio, John McCain, Lindsey Graham, Mark Kirk, Charles Krauthammer and Bill Kristol. In advance of Election 2016, when some of these people try to influence public debate and others vie to become president of the United States, let us continue to monitor the outcome of the war that they supported.
    Especially since Hillary Clinton and Marco Rubio also supported the Iraq War, another conflict that harmed U.S. interests by creating a power vacuum that terrorists filled, their support for intervening in Libya ought to disqualify them from the presidency.
    Nothing in Clinton's or Rubio's record suggests that either has the judgment to step back from future wars that would weaken the United States—or that they have learned the right lessons from past interventions gone wrong. And neither can offer the excuse that no one anticipated Libya becoming a safe haven for terrorists.
    Opponents of intervention within the Obama Administration were ultimately defeated by a faction that included Clinton. Neoconservatives like Rubio cheered the outcome.

There were vocal opponents of intervention too. They included Ralph Nader, Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich, Barbara Lee, and Rand Paul, among many others. On matters as varied as the wisdom of the Iraq War, the way the 2001 Authorization to Use Military Force would be interpreted, and the prudence of intervening in Libya, the figures I mentioned proved more prescient than the foreign-policy establishment, which continues to regard them as unserious. If so, what does that say about Clinton and Rubio, whose track records compare unfavorably?
    More: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ported/387535/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nothing to see here. Hillary/Rubio 2016!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Hillary is increasingly a lost cause for 2016, their has started apparently inside sabotage against her.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...illary-clinto/

The Times inquiries were in response to a Saturday late-night column by author Edward Klein that charged Ms. Jarrett ignited the media firestorm over Mrs. Clinton’s server, and that she also ordered the State Department to investigate the former secretary.

Hillary/Rubio!

The Neocon Dream Team

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Trump Day After Iraq Invasion: It's "A Tremendous Success"

Republican primary front-runner Donald Trump claimed on the second day of Operation Iraqi Freedom that it appeared to be “a tremendous success from a military standpoint.”

Speaking to Fox News’ Neil Cavuto on March 21, 2003, Trump predicted the war would continue to bolster Wall Street.“Well, I think Wall Street’s waiting to see what happens, but even before the fact they’re obviously taking it a little bit for granted, and it looks like a tremendous success from a military standpoint, and I think this is really nothing compared to what you’re gonna see after the war is over,” Trump said, as first reported by BuzzFeed News.

The billionaire businessman said he was optimistic that international protests to the war would not harm the U.S. economy.

“Well, I guess the French never liked us much except when we’re bailing them out, you know, to be totally honest with you,” he said. “But certainly we’re going to have to work on our public relations, because there’s no question that there are a lot of countries in the world right now that aren’t too fond of us, but I think that can be solved and probably pretty quickly."

Trump also speculated in the interview as to what kinds of weapons of mass destruction the Iraqi regime was hiding.

“The main thing is to get the war over with and just make it a tremendously successful campaign, and it’ll be very interesting to see what kind of weapons they uncover,” he said.
    Trump Blames Withdrawal From Iraq for ISIS

Trump has cited the conservative critique of President Obama’s Iraq policy — that the withdrawal of troops in 2011 led to a power vacuum that allowed ISIS to flourish — in making the claim. “He was the founder of ISIS, absolutely,” Trump said on CNBC on Thursday. “The way he removed our troops...
    Military Advisor To Trump Recommends "Safety Zones" in Syria

A military adviser to presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump supports creating air and ground safety zones in Syria in the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, he said Monday.

The Obama administration has rejected creating air and ground zones in Syria for two reasons: a declaration of a no-fly zone would be an act of war against Syria, and it would take additional air assets as well as ground troops to patrol the zones around the clock.

But retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, who advises Trump, told "The Hugh Hewitt Show" that he backs creating the safe zones.
    "If we know that their headquarters exist in a place called Raqqa, Syria, we should eliminate — we should destroy Raqqa, Syria. We should create, you know, safety zones, flight zones, whatever, both ground and air," he said.

Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton also supports creating a no-fly zone in Syria.

"I am advocating the no-fly zone both because I think it would help us on the ground to protect Syrians; I’m also advocating it because I think it gives us some leverage in our conversations with Russia," she said in December.

Trump himself has called for the U.S. to lead the establishment of a safe zone in Syria for refugees.

"Well, you know, I've always said we need to have a safe zone," he told WYFF News 4 in February. "We have to have some kind of a safe zone. And we have to get the Gulf states to pay for it [lol]."