Thread: New respect for Rand's word-fu / poliy-jitsu

New respect for Rand's word-fu / poliy-jitsu

I got this from the thread "Rand Paul : I’m not particularly happy with being lectured to by the administration about the Constitution." At first glance I was like [i]Meh. Most neocons give lip service to the constitution, magically re-discovering it whenever a dem violates it, but having amnesia and/or saying "It's not a suicide pact" when their side violates it."

But then I actually watched the video. The hearing was not about Iran. It was about the AUMF[1] to extend the GWOT[2]. By leading in with "How dare you attack me for supposedly interfering with your peace negotiations Secretary Kerry", Rand opened up an opportunity to attack the war mongers on the left and the right and a time when (supposedly) 80% of Americans have gotten over their war weariness. The points that Rand made that Boko Haram wasn't covered under the original AUMF and we shouldn't blindly open ourselves up to war with some 30 countries connected to ISIS.

The best part about this is that he got neocons (neocon light?) like Mark Levin praising him for his slap at the administration. But also any on the left who might listen may they "Hey? Should we really give another blank check for endless war?" It's a win/win.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's nobody on the left who questions the blank check authority for global war. Nobody. Of course that will change with the next non-Democrat President, but the past six years have established that the left is NOT the natural home of the anti-war movement.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    There's nobody on the left who questions the blank check authority for global war. Nobody. Of course that will change with the next non-Democrat President, but the past six years have established that the left is NOT the natural home of the anti-war movement.
    No offense, but you really work at limiting the circles you circulate in, don't you?

How can we get the progs to stop claiming there's no difference between minarchists and neocons if we can't see or can't admit that principled liberals, though misguided, are not only possible, but existential?

Why not visit this guy for a few minutes? You might kind of like him:

http://rall.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    principled liberals
    I have a whole collection of them right outside the unicorn stables.

Seriously though, six years of Obama have made clear that the principled liberal is at most, half a percent of the left. Completely insignificant from a political point of view.

You pretty much proved my point, as your best example is a cartoonist. Show me an actual political leader on the left who demonstrates principles.

Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Jim McDermott(ish), Barney Frank(just retired) off the top of my head?

But seriously though? There are plenty of the left that are anti-war. My wife is one of them. Maybe not in a purist non-interventionist fashion, as they may also be for humanitarian intervention when it seems extremely needed, but on the whole they are against needless war.

I would posit that the non-politician Democrats you speak of are Pro-Obama interventions as a reaction to the ridiculous anti-everything movement that Republicans pushed after 2009. People who legitimately want to improve society get sick seeing half of the political body say "No! Never! Tyrant! Hyperbole!" to every single move the President took. Especially when they were things that previous Presidents performed without a hiccup from the GOP. If anything, it reinforced their party bias more than ever and, when I spoke with people, was a constant stumbling block toward attracting them to the liberty movement.

Don't be a party-ist.

Beyond that, I agree with the OP that Rand is a ninja. Lol
    Last edited by RabbitMan; 03-12-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

Seriously though, six years of Obama have made clear that the principled liberal is at most, half a percent of the left. Completely insignificant from a political point of view.

You pretty much proved my point, as your best example is a cartoonist. Show me an actual political leader on the left who demonstrates principles.
    Jim Webb

He ran for the Senate in 2006 and beat the Virginia Democratic party’s preferred candidate on a platform of opposition to foreign interventionism, and rejection of Wall Street in favor of Main Street, winning the general election. Six years later, he declined to run for another term.
    http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...e-alternative/

Probably don't hear much about him because the media gives him the "Ron Paul" treatment.

Bump +rep

Excellent post
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Jim McDermott(ish), Barney Frank(just retired) off the top of my head?

But seriously though? There are plenty of the left that are anti-war. My wife is one of them. Maybe not in a purist non-interventionist fashion, as they may also be for humanitarian intervention when it seems extremely needed, but on the whole they are against needless war.

I would posit that the non-politician Democrats you speak of are Pro-Obama interventions as a reaction to the ridiculous anti-everything movement that Republicans pushed after 2009. People who legitimately want to improve society get sick seeing half of the political body say "No! Never! Tyrant! Hyperbole!" to every single move the President took. Especially when they were things that previous Presidents performed without a hiccup from the GOP. If anything, it reinforced their party bias more than ever and, when I spoke with people, was a constant stumbling block toward attracting them to the liberty movement.

Don't be a party-ist.

Beyond that, I agree with the OP that Rand is a ninja. Lol
    Elizabeth Warren pretty much backed Israel's raid on Gaza over the summer. The article below is from the actual anti-war left, Glenn Greenwald & Jeremy Scahill.
    https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ike-netanyahu/

And Samantha Powers got to where she is today pushing for "humanitarian intervention" to prevent "genocide" in her words. Like Libya you know? So their "good intentions" are just as f'ed as the outright warmongering of the right.

Anti-war is different from anti-war light.
    Last edited by Chieppa1; 03-13-2015 at 10:42 AM.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieppa1 View Post
    Elizabeth Warren pretty much backed Israel's raid on Gaza over the summer. The article below is from the actual anti-war left, Glenn Greenwald & Jeremy Scahill.
    https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ike-netanyahu/

And Samantha Powers got to where she is today pushing for "humanitarian intervention" to prevent "genocide" in her words. Like Libya you know? So their "good intentions" are just as f'ed as the outright warmongering of the right.

Anti-war is different from anti-war light.
    Warren was vocally against arming Syrian Rebels AND intervening in Syria. So. I think that matters a bit more.

Besides this was in regards to questioning the blank authority for going to war.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

bump

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    Barney Frank? Mr. "My roommate runs a pedophile prostitution ring and I helped set up the housing bubble" Barney Frank? Not on my list. I'd say Dennis Kucinich and Cynthia McKinney. Both got destroyed by their own party.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Best I know of in Washington is Ron Wyden up in Oregon.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

bump
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

Yes, Rand is playing chess, everyone else is playing checkers.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Almost 20% of registered dems disapprove of Obama. And most true "principled liberals" are in the smaller parties (Green, for example, is where my brother and sister are registered. They love Ron Paul, except for "the whole no regulations thing"). I suspect their disapproval of obama is quite high.

I'd say most liberals want "the best", but just haven't learned to think critically about how that works.
    The more prohibitions you have,
    the less virtuous people will be.
    The more weapons you have,
    the less secure people will be.
    The more subsidies you have,
    the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
    I let go of the law,
    and people become honest.
    I let go of economics,
    and people become prosperous.
    I let go of religion,
    and people become serene.
    I let go of all desire for the common good,
    and the good becomes common as grass.

-Tao Te Ching, Section 57

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    Almost 20% of registered dems disapprove of Obama. And most true "principled liberals" are in the smaller parties (Green, for example, is where my brother and sister are registered. They love Ron Paul, except for "the whole no regulations thing"). I suspect their disapproval of obama is quite high.

I'd say most liberals want "the best", but just haven't learned to think critically about how that works.
    Yes! ^This! I was talking with one gay friend about my libertarian "Get the government out of marriage" viewpoint and this friend responded with "I'm not going to get you to drop this libertarian thing am I?" to which I responded "You do know that without it I would be against same sex marriage right?" To which this friend promptly dropped the topic. And that's the beauty of what Rand is doing with his outreach to minorities. He's proposing real solutions to real problems! Obama blathers on about how bad Citizen's United is and that we need "mandatory voting" when Rand has already proposed a way to give the vote back to 1/3rd of African Americans who lost their votes for non violent felony convictions! Boss move!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And that's the beauty of what Rand is doing with his outreach to minorities. He's proposing real solutions to real problems!
    Absolutely.

The cognitive dissonance that usually crops up at this point is the old, 'Well keeping our hands off couldn't possibly work or we wouldn't have this problem'. So the best thing we can arm ourselves with to handle this is a good understanding of the problem > reaction > solution-worse-than-the-problem thing and some fine examples of it.

Like the higher rates Medicare created which progressively led to fewer and fewer people being able to afford higher and higher health care prices. Like the bankers and other robber barons manipulating gold, which led to people thinking an elastic currency might be an improvement, which led to a hundred years of inflation and the evaporation of the middle class. Like...

We could do Rand more favors if we fill this thread with this sort of example.