Thread: car bill of sale question

car bill of sale question

ive found a 71 maverick for my son, but the title has been lost. seller says he will do a bill of sale. how does this work?

also when getting it notarized, does the seller and the buyer (me) have to be present in front of the notary? id assume this would best be done BEFORE money changes hands? ive always delt with titles, so im kind of lost on this. i live in georgia if this matters.

ty
    Last edited by satchelmcqueen; 03-11-2015 at 06:55 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    don't have all your answer, but the people signing anything for a notary need to be present and sign it there with them.

Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post
    ive found a 71 maverick for my son, but the title has been lost. seller says he will do a bill of sale. how does this work?

also when getting it notarized, does the seller and the buyer (me) have to be present in front of the notary? id assume this would best be done BEFORE money changes hands? ive always delt with titles, so im kind of lost on this. i live in georgia if this matters.

ty
    The owner can go to the license branch and apply for a new title in my state .Fee used to be $5 , I am sure it is probably at least $10 by now. I have done this twice .It will come in the mail three weeks later or so and can be signed over to you then .

Bill of sale is nearly worthless..for an auto in most states.
    Needs a title..

I went through this in Florida with a vintage Chevelle I wanted to restore.

Had DMV out to check it,, found it was made of at least three cars.. Could NOT get a title.. cost me money to have it removed.. Junk yards will not even pay for it without a title.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Bill of sale is nearly worthless..for an auto in most states.
    Needs a title..

I went through this in Florida with a vintage Chevelle I wanted to restore.

Had DMV out to check it,, found it was made of at least three cars.. Could NOT get a title.. cost me money to have it removed.. Junk yards will not even pay for it without a title.

This.

Personally, I would NOT buy a car if the seller couldn't provide a title. Oyarde makes a good point, too - a new title can be ordered from the DMV, so there's no good reason for the owner not to have a title assuming the car is legit.

Worst case: what if it's stolen? A Bill of Sale isn't going to keep you from getting jammed up by the "authorities" if they decide to come after you for receiving stolen goods.

Titles Optional
    Vehicles purchased on or after March 1, 2013 and titled in this state will be exempt from sales and use tax and the annual ad valorem tax. Instead, these vehicles will be subject to a new, one-time title ad valorem tax that is based on the value of the vehicle.

You can title a 1963-1985 year model vehicles if:

you have a title issued in your name;
    the owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to you;
    the owner on the front of the title has assigned the title to a dealer and the dealer has assigned the title to you.

You can not title a 1963-1985 year model vehicle if:

the vehicle has been registered in someone else's name(s) other than the owner(s) shown on the face of the Georgia title.

http://dor.georgia.gov/getting-georg...d_links-486-16

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    This.

Personally, I would NOT buy a car if the seller couldn't provide a title. Oyarde makes a good point, too - a new title can be ordered from the DMV, so there's no good reason for the owner not to have a title assuming the car is legit.

Worst case: what if it's stolen? A Bill of Sale isn't going to keep you from getting jammed up by the "authorities" if they decide to come after you for receiving stolen goods.
    Lets be real -who would steal a '71 maverick??

Titles on vehicles that old are not necessary in Connecticut.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelmcqueen View Post

ty
    Dunno the laws in GA. Definitely do all this before paying. You will probably have to get a new title. Often a "salvage title" can be obtained readily. You might want to go to your local DMV and ask the questions - get the response in WRITING or, when what they tell you turns out to be flagrantly untrue, they will simply deny ever having told you so. I suppose a video recording would suffice, but I would do it covertly.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Pretty sure Georgia is just like Maine. You don't need a title for old cars. I don't have a title for my 88 Suzuki, just a registration.

30 seconds on google proves that correct.

http://georgia.gov/popular-topic/sel...-motor-vehicle

When you sell a motor vehicle, you should have three items. You'll need to have your vehicle's title, you should prepare a bill of sale (a document that outlines the date of the sale, the mileage, and condition of the vehicle), and a statement of the buyer's agreement to purchase.
    What You Should Know:

Depending on the age of your vehicle, the state may not require you to hold a title. If that's the case, when you sell your car, you can legally transfer the property by using either the vehicle's certificate of origin or the bill of sale.
    While you may write your own bill of sale, the Georgia Department of Revenue, Motor Vehicle Division offers a standard form that you can fill out.
    If you decide to write your own bill of sale, make sure to include the following information:
    the date of sale
    the cost of vehicle purchase
    your full name and address
    the buyer's full name and address
    the vehicle's year, make, model, identification number and mileage
    acknowledgement of any liens held on the vehicle
    After you and the buyer sign the bill of sale, you should make a copy for yourself and hand the buyer the original. The buyer will then need to visit their local county tax commissioner’s office to update the vehicle's registration.

If possible, git 'er done at a DMV office location
    so the VIN number (matching the car's!) gets
    checked out on-the-spot, along with the real
    owner's ID !

That title / xfer needs to be clean and clear in gov
    computer records. It can matter... a whole lot if
    there is trouble, history, future "blame for some
    past crimes" involving that vehicle, etc. It's seller
    protection to get that computer record entered!

Payment issues (like bad checks - robbery with
    a wad of cash or bag of fake gold coins on hand)
    are other concerns that need to be worked out
    ahead of time.

Good Luck

LOL,
    Gomer says, "check for saw dust in da transmission,
    'cause it make it run as smooth as silk, fer a few days!"

I confiscated a tenants abandoned vehicle one time for a land owner in Georgia and had it towed to another location. His daughter now drives a Seabring Convertible.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...