Thread: Have You Fallen for These Big Pharma Tricks?

Have You Fallen for These Big Pharma Tricks?

Have You Fallen for These Big Pharma Tricks?

By Martha Rosenberg

Long before the Internet and direct to consumer advertising, the medical profession tried to reassure people about their health concerns. Sure fatigue and headaches could be a symptom of a brain tumor; sure a cough could be a symptom of lung cancer–but most doctors tried to assuage not sow fear. Remember “take two aspirins and call me in the morning”?

Flash forward to today’s online “symptom checkers,” quizzes to see if you have a certain disease and exhortations to see your doctor even though you feel fine. Once Pharma discovered that health fears and even hypochondria sell drugs, there seems to be no end to the new diseases, symptoms and risks people need to worry about.

Selling symptoms to suggestible people has been a gold mine for Big Pharma since it started advertising directly to the consumer around the late 1990s. Thanks to such marketing which actually “sells” diseases to build demand, millions of people who were once fine now have depression, insomnia, season allergies, GERD and assorted attention, pain and spectrum disorders. Worse, they want these afflictions because the medications that treat them have been made so glamorous.

In fact the public’s embrace of prescription drugs is best expressed in the T shirt that says “I take aspirin for the headache caused by the Zyrtec I take for the hayfever I got from Relenza for the uneasy stomach from the Ritalin I take for the short attention span caused by the Scopoderm I take for the motion sickness I got from the Lomotil I take for the diarrhea caused by the Xenical for the uncontrolled weight gain from the Paxil I take for the anxiety from Zocor I take for my high cholesterol because exercise, a good diet and regular chiropractic care are just too much trouble.” (Of course the shirt cannot be worn by a small person.)

Here are some of the ways Pharma uses fear to keep the public buying drugs.

Fear of Aging and Losing Sex Appeal

Hormone replacement therapy which millions of women took until about ten years ago was officially marketed to stop hot flashes and keep their bones strong. But unofficially it was marketed as a way of staying young and sexy. Early HRT ads told women they had “outlived their ovaries” and not kept up with their husbands who wanted younger looking women. When HRT was found to increase the risk of heart attacks and cancer (sorry about that), bone drugs took up Pharma’s “don’t get old” message to women, pushed by former Today show host Meredith Vieira, former Charlie’s Angel Cheryl Ladd and actress Sally Field. Now Pharma is telling men they also need hormone replacement therapy for their “Low T” and to retain their sexiness. Male HRT doesn’t look safer than women’s.

Fear of Symptoms That Seem Benign

Once upon a time people with heartburn took Tums, Alka Seltzer, Bromo Seltzer or Maalox and vowed not to eat so much. They did not worry they really had Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), were on their way to cancer of the esophagus and take proton pump inhibitors for the rest of their lives. Similarly, while depression certainly exists, people who have the blues over real things like their marriage, finances or even the loss of a loved one now go running to the doctors for "happy pills" for their "depression." Of course Pharma's biggest success in creating fear around benign symptoms is convincing parents and teachers that healthy energetic kids are suffering from ADHD. Ka-ching.

Fear of New Diseases

Who remembers Restless Legs Syndrome? Who remembers Shift Work Sleep Disorder and Non-24-hour Sleep Wake Disorder for people who probably did not get enough sleep? Obscure diseases Pharma "raises awareness" about are not made up--but they are so rare they would never be advertised unless Pharma were trying to create "demand" for expensive drugs-- especially since there is usually no confirming lab or blood test for a diagnosis. Recently North Chicago-based AbbVie rolled out two high budget drug campaigns to convince people with sore backs that they have ankylosing spondylitis and people with diarrhea that they have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, replete with web sites helping them discern that they have the disease by their symptoms. Do people with symptoms or diseases really need Pharma to tell them when to go to the doctor and what they have?

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

mesothelioma used to be the holy grail of keywords, it had a CPC well over $1000. Still holding today at around $150, but in those days you could clear $15K a day just sending traffic to med and lawyer sites.

Who remembers Restless Legs Syndrome?
    My dad had that but we called it jiminy leg. His leg would just kick out of the blue for no reason - we thought it was hilarious. He said it was because he drank too much iced tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My dad had that but we called it jiminy leg. His leg would just kick out of the blue for no reason - we thought it was hilarious. He said it was because he drank too much iced tea.
    Yeah and if he took the pharmaceutical drug for restless leg syndrome, then you would have had to worry about him being a compulsive gambler. *Sigh*
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Yeah and if he took the pharmaceutical drug for restless leg syndrome, then you would have had to worry about him being a compulsive gambler. *Sigh*
    Is that really one of the side effects of the restless leg drug??? I'll take the jiminy leg...

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I have this dream of taking a pharma TV commercial and altering the video while keeping the audio intact. Just imagine if the pictures matched the dialog when the narrator is listing off the side-effects. Instead of some smiling dope acting all cheerful, we see images of a man being suicidal and violent. That would be a completely different commercial and make people think twice before asking their doctor if FUKITOL is right for them.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Is that really one of the side effects of the restless leg drug??? I'll take the jiminy leg...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unless they tried to trick me into not ever taking pharmaceuticals, I think they failed.

Perfection in medicine:

Pharma campaigns that scare women about silent bone loss have also sold anti-osteoporosis drugs like Fosamax, Boniva and Prolia, convincing women that one day with little or no warning, their weakening bones will break. The prediction was true but it had a twist: some of the women whose bones snapped were actually taking the anti-osteoporosis drugs themselves whose side effects turned out to include fractures!
    ...Anyone notice how all of the drug commercials consistently begin with the protagonist stating how his/her doctor recommended the drug being advertised, so they tried it and all was then well, and he/she continues on by instructing the viewer to ask their doctor if the advertised product is right for them? This makes me think if the storyline is true, then why the need to waste money on such advertisements to begin with? Being that when I go to my doctor with whatever ailment, my doctor is simply going to recommend that very same drug to me, just like the case of protagonist in the stupid commercial!
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Perfection in medicine:

...Anyone notice how all of the drug commercials consistently begin with the protagonist stating how his/her doctor recommended the drug being advertised, so they tried it and all was then well, and he/she continues on by instructing the viewer to ask their doctor if the advertised product is right for them? This makes me think if the storyline is true, then why the need to waste money on such advertisements to begin with? Being that when I go to my doctor with whatever ailment, my doctor is simply going to recommend that very same drug to me, just like the case of protagonist in the stupid commercial!
    Brainwashing technique.

Chester Copperpot

These things (muscle twitches) if thats what they are, are usually results of improper electrolytes. Caffeine can deplete magnesium so If I had noticed my leg jumping from too much tea, Id eat some good chocolate for the magnesium. (or buckwheat, or einkhorn or something else. lol) but chocolate is great.

Chester Copperpot

I dont think I ever fall for any pharma tricks because I automatically reject all of their crap.. ALWAYS.

allopathic medicine (drugs and surgery) is great when our bodies are exposed to trauma, like in a car accident for example, but 90% of our aches and pains and diseases all stem from bad diets and a lazy lifestyle... Likewise therein lies the cure, with changing our diets and exercise. Its really that simple. Heart disease is always the big killer but its just nutritional deficiency.. Everybody wants to keep eating donuts and coffee for breakfast and will put their faith in some little pill to take away their diabetes instead of just stop eating the donuts and coffee for breakfast.....

you guys here know this stuff already im sure... but i know real life people who do this $#@! and its insanity IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    These things (muscle twitches) if thats what they are, are usually results of improper electrolytes. Caffeine can deplete magnesium so If I had noticed my leg jumping from too much tea, Id eat some good chocolate for the magnesium. (or buckwheat, or einkhorn or something else. lol) but chocolate is great.
    Thanks but he passed away last year. His leg quit twitching after he gave up iced tea.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

Do they have any drugs available that will turn me into a WINNING gambler?

If they do, I would take a chance on all sorts of side effects!

Says the woman who posts the most fear-mongering half-truth headlines imaginable. SMFH.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Do they have any drugs available that will turn me into a WINNING gambler?

If they do, I would take a chance on all sorts of side effects!
    LOL! Nah, because in the end, Big pHARMa would take it all on you.

I thought of the commercials in this thread when I saw this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.