Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand talks about why he signed the letter to Iran

Rand talks about why he signed the letter to Iran

It's at about the 2:20 mark of this video on his Facebook page. The interview is on the Today Show. It's the top post on his page.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorRandPaul

Updated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muoAYm12504
    Last edited by Brett85; 03-11-2015 at 09:22 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    For those of us who can't watch videos with sound because we're at work, can you tell us what he said?
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I can't watch it either, but I'm going to guess he'll say something about reigning in the executive branch to try to settle down his base.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
    For those of us who can't watch videos with sound because we're at work, can you tell us what he said?
    He said that he supports the negotiations and wants there to be a peaceful outcome, but that he wanted to strengthen President Obama's hand and get him to negotiate from a position of strength by requiring Congressional approval by the deal. He also said that President Obama doesn't have the Constitutional authority to unilaterally repeal sanctions passed by Congress, and that Constitutionally he needs Congressional approval in order to lift the sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    He said that he supports the negotiations and wants there to be a peaceful outcome, but that he wanted to strengthen President Obama's hand and get him to negotiate from a position of strength by requiring Congressional approval by the deal. He also said that President Obama doesn't have the Constitutional authority to unilaterally repeal sanctions passed by Congress, and that Constitutionally he needs Congressional approval in order to lift the sanctions.
    I actually like this response. Damn it Mr. Paul.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

That letter was mostly written by people who do not want a deal with Iran and who are trying to stifle a deal with Iran, and what it's essentially communicating to the world is that there will be no deal with Iran. Rand should know this.

Even if Rand knows that the letter is technically accurate, Rand doesn't have to put his name on it. All putting his name on it did was make it appear to Iran and to the rest of the world that there is 1 more senator who is opposed to a deal with Iran. The lack of his signature imply simply that he doesn't agree with the spirit of the letter, it does not mean that he disagrees with it's technical correctness.

If he didn't sign the letter and explained it with something like "I didn't sign that letter because I support the negotiations, but they are right. It does have to be congress who approves any agreement." I would respect on this issue him a lot more.

If he didn't sign the letter and explained it with something like "I didn't sign that letter because I support the negotiations, but they are right. It does have to be congress who approves any agreement." I would respect on this issue him a lot more.
    And his enemies would spin it as Randal being in favor of executive power and lack of congressional oversight.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    And his enemies would spin it as Randal being in favor of executive power and lack of congressional oversight.
    At least that's better than warmongering.

Constitutional > everything else.

Just like most everyone here, I am ready for dear leaders to GTFO of Iran's business and chill out before they start the next world war while we are still broke from fighting the endless war on terrorism.

But despite who wrote the letter or what their personal problems are with Iran, Rand did the right thing for standing up for the constitutionally correct stance that the executive cannot on a whim change laws that were enacted by congress. This is absolutely the right stance to take on the issue.

LOL, no it is not. Actually that problem is one of the greatest reasons we have been warring! you guys should be happy all these neocons signed this statement.

Not really. Most of the warmongering is accomplished with an over-reaching, all-too-powerful POTUS.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Yeah, you had better sell out or else your enemies might spin it against you.

This has been a theme with Rand. He's been caving to pressure from the neocons here an there throughout his term. When push comes to shove, he really hasn't done anything that would make me expect him not to do that in a presidential term.

And remember, It's not unconstitutional for Obama to have negotiations. He just has to get to get approval from congress in order to finalize a deal.

The only Matt Lauer interview I have ever enjoyed:

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

LOL, no it is not. Actually that problem is one of the greatest reasons we have been warring! you guys should be happy all these neocons signed this statement.
    Why? Is it some statement that is bidding that means moving forward they won't support a Republican (or Democrat) president who wants to make unconstitutional deals with foreign leaders?

Rand not signing it, going to FOX and explaining he does not want to screw up negotiations and scolding his fellow Republicans for their hypocrisy would get him loads of more face time.

I know, but the mindless masses of brown-skin-hating Republican voters might disagree with him for the next week. Until they forget all about this letter.

Twitter

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

And remember, It's not unconstitutional for Obama to have negotiations. He just has to get to get approval from congress in order to finalize a deal.
    And this. I actually have enjoyed watching the Israel-first crowd freak over the idea of "peace".

Twitter

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the article "Some Implications of President Obama’s Plans to Sidestep Congress on Iranian Sanctions":

There are many different statutory sanctions against Iran, and Congress’s most recent word – from 2012 – tightens and narrows the President’s authority to waive the sanctions. Without getting into the details, it nonetheless appears that the President can waive most if not all sanctions against Iran for the remaining two years of his term if he is willing to make the requisite findings.

it's merely the cost of maintaining the camouflage

he did it to appease the neo cons
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    he did it to appease the neo cons
    Nah actually he did it to send a message to the Exec branch that they are not following the Constitution.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I think it was on Greta where he said he the said sort of excuse and added that he signed it so that the president gets a good deal.

I was wondering what constitutes a good deal and is there any reason why he thinks the POTUS wasn't going to get a good deal? He had sanctioned Iran more than any president I know. When he says a "good deal" he is talking about a deal where the U.S. gains 100% and Iran 0.%

There are many different statutory sanctions against Iran, and Congress’s most recent word – from 2012 – tightens and narrows the President’s authority to waive the sanctions. Without getting into the details, it nonetheless appears that the President can waive most if not all sanctions against Iran for the remaining two years of his term if he is willing to make the requisite findings.
    These forums would have applauded if Ron Paul had used his executive position to lift or ease sanctions against a foreign nation. But, it would be wrong if this president did it because...Obama.

Over at Antiiwar.com Justin wrote a strongly hostile column about Rand's signing the letter, followed by similar negativity in most of the comments:

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...-pauls-munich/

I made the case for it being harm reduction (to appease the neocons) to protect him from being tarred as "weak on Iran" later like so:

To be a kind of undercover agent inside the enemy camp, you do actually have to appear to agree with the enemy at key points. Based on his previous pattern, Rand's co-signing the letter does NOT reflect a betrayal of the liberty and non-intervention side. It's another instance of him making a gesture that lacks real policy substance or consequence, in order to practically position himself in such a way as to not be attacked by the neo-cons. It's insurance against being marginalized as an appeaser, AKA, a Neville Chamberlain.

If Justin could figure out the letter lacked substance, and that the agreement is going to happen regardless of the war hawks pounding sand, SO CAN RAND. By signing the worthless letter he defuses interventionist critics who would have otherwise painted him as "unconcerned about Iran." Later, as the agreement yields stability, and Iran complies with it, he can change his position about the letter in light of those developments.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    These forums would have applauded if Ron Paul had used his executive position to lift or ease sanctions against a foreign nation. But, it would be wrong if this president did it because...Obama.
    I've been thinking this exact thought over the past few days, and I think you're right.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Nah actually he did it to send a message to the Exec branch that they are not following the Constitution.
    yea foreign policy is totally a senate thing
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Hey, I don't know anything about all this, but if Obama lifts or eases sanctions on Iran: that's great, Obama! I'll applaud it like crazy. Three cheers for Obama!, if he does that.

I dont have a problem with Rand signing the Senate letter and I am one of the most hardcore libertarian-Republicans around.
    Obama openly said he was going to ignore the Constitution by bypassing the advice and consultation of the Senate. This letter was the Senate's reasonable response to Obama's action.
    The issue at hand (Iran) doesn't matter. This is about reigning in the President who is acting in a unilateral, lawless manner and they called him on it as they should have.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

And if Obama negotiates a deal with Iran, in spite of the idiots that signed that letter, it's only going to make the Republicans look like...idiots. But...maybe Rand wanted to take a hit to help Obama in negotiations, he has been playing it sly, no?

And, I kind of agree with portions of a comment made on FB concerning Rand's "I don't regret it"...see a post I made earler about it.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I dont have a problem with Rand signing the Senate letter and I am one of the most hardcore libertarian-Republicans around.
    Obama openly said he was going to ignore the Constitution by bypassing the advice and consultation of the Senate. This letter was the Senate's reasonable response to Obama's action.
    The issue at hand (Iran) doesn't matter. This is about reigning in the President who is acting in a unilateral, lawless manner and they called him on it as they should have.
    I agree this is a reasonable way for the GOP to score partisan points against Obama, who of course set the table for ignoring the Constitution by way of his EOs and unilateral actions. It can be countered, however, that the Executive branch negotiating a short term agreement does not amount to a permanent treaty, thus does not require Senate approval.

In that context, the letter is another nothing burger, as Congress cannot stop the agreement from happening (and thus conferring international legitimacy to the five nation deal). That allows Rand to make an empty endorsement of a hard line by co-signing it, and so position himself as being "strong on Iran" to the hawks.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Oh please Collins. If Rand Paul didn't sign that letter, you wouldn't have a problem with it either. Have you disagreed with anything Rand Paul has done at all? If he pissed on your head, you would be like, please give me some more.

The issue here is NOT about Executive Power and you know that. IT was the GOP's way of saying FU Iran. We don't care what the President does. Plain and simple. The fact that you somehow spin this into an "executive power" issue makes you no different than Tom Cotton or Lindsey Graham. All they want is to see no peace deal with Iran. They will lie and spin anything they can as long as the result is the same. No peace with Iran. That is the goal. Spin and lie about it as much as you want.
    Last edited by twomp; 03-12-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast