Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we SHOULDN'T eat three meals a day

Why we SHOULDN'T eat three meals a day

Why we SHOULDN'T eat three meals a day: Sticking rigidly to breakfast, lunch and dinner may be damaging our health

By Madlen Davies

Eating three meals a day is as much a part of our routine as getting up in the morning and going to sleep in the evening.

Now, experts have warned eating breakfast, lunch and dinner may be damaging our health.

In fact, there is no evidence eating three square meals a day is beneficial to the body’s needs for energy, the website Mother Jones reports.

In fact, skipping meals and fasting could actually be better for health than sticking to rigid eating patterns.

Historian Abigail Carroll told journalist Kiera Butler that these meals are cultural constructions European settlers enforced on Native Americans.

In her new book, ‘Three Squares: The Invention of the American Meal’, Ms Carroll said the settlers ate meals at regimented times and considered this more ‘civilised’ than the natives whose eating patterns varied with the seasons, and included fasting.

A quirk of history has meant this pattern has been heralded as healthy, when in fact there is no evidence for this assertion, Ms Carroll said.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good article as usual.

I naturally do a 16 to 18 hour intermitant fast. I usually skip breakfast unless I have a big task ahead of me. Eggs are usually my staple.

If I eat 3 or more eggs, it gives me fuel for many hours where I don't even think about eating. Especially if I'm focused on a project.

I've also found that I'm more comfortable if I just don't eat for a day or so if my only food options are donuts or other garbage.

At 43 years old, I'm probably in the best shape of my life and it only started when I quit listening to experts and started listening to my own body.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Good article as usual.

I naturally do a 16 to 18 hour intermitant fast. I usually skip breakfast unless I have a big task ahead of me. Eggs are usually my staple.

If I eat 3 or more eggs, it gives me fuel for many hours where I don't even think about eating. Especially if I'm focused on a project.

I've also found that I'm more comfortable if I just don't eat for a day or so if my only food options are donuts or other garbage.

At 43 years old, I'm probably in the best shape of my life and it only started when I quit listening to experts and started listening to my own body.
    Very true...listening to your body is key. Eggs are one of those things that are darn near perfect food, so long as you do not overcook them. Also I found a good organic whey protein will help throughout the day too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

If you have a high activity level, 5 or more is normally recommended by coaches and trainers. If your body ever starts feeling too hungry, you'll probably either gain weight or lose muscle mass. Your body is intelligent enough to do anything possible to avoid starving itself.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-11-2015 at 09:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    If you have a high activity level, 5 or more is normally recommended by coaches and trainers. If your body ever starts feeling too hungry, you'll probably either gain weight or lose muscle mass. Your body is intelligent enough to do anything possible to avoid starving itself.
    Sure if your a professional athlete or a teen athlete maybe. Which 99% of the population isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    Sure if your a professional athlete or a teen athlete maybe. Which 99% of the population isn't.
    Yup. Or someone in certain heavy industry/manual labor (farming, construction, etc), or professional dance. Anyhoo, you get my point. A "normal" person can fast for an entire season (like Lent), and do fine.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I've basically got rid of breakfast and I feel fine. I even eat lunch sporadically.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I've basically got rid of breakfast and I feel fine. I even eat lunch sporadically.
    Interesting. What's your lifestyle like?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I usually am not hungry at breakfast, but I really do lose weight if I make myself eat it.

If I fast through to lunch (which is what my body/stomach/brain? would prefer) I seem to hold onto weight. If I eat breakfast, I drop weight.

I like a light breakfast, a large lunch, and a light dinner. I usually don't snack much either. My vice is sweet drinks.
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

I eat 2 meals and a snack, lunch is really more like a snack for me.

I eat a piece of fruit (banana or apple), a small bowl of oatmeal w/blueberries, or a fried egg on a bed of mixed greens for breakfast. For lunch, I eat some raw veggies (I'm having cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas right now) or a salad and I generally have grilled meat and more veggies for dinner. I bought a Veggetti the other day and I'm going to try zucchini spaghetti and meatballs tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Fasting can actually helps to reboot your immune system.

I usually skip breakfast. Light lunch, big dinner. Not much in between.
    In the morning I just have some coffee to wake up.
    "I am a bird"

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I'm an office creature of sorts and I'm more active in the evenings, when I play ice hockey two to three times a week. At first, it was challenging since your stomach is accustomed to eating three meals a days, but after a few weeks I got used to and there is no discomfort.

Fasting can also slow your metabolism and cause you to gain more weight which can put you more at risk for some illnesses.

Eating at regular intervals keeps your blood sugar levels more stable. Skipping can cause sugar spikes in your blood when you do eat again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Fasting can also slow your metabolism and cause you to gain more weight which can put you more at risk for some illnesses.

Eating at regular intervals keeps your blood sugar levels more stable. Skipping can cause sugar spikes in your blood when you do eat again.
    One of the many problems of trying to run your body on carbs is the hassle of trying to maintain blood glucose levels in a narrow window. Too much, you get fat, have chronic inflammation, and develop diabetes. Too little and you pass out. The human body design really is not that stupid. We just try to run it on the wrong fuel.

Fasting at intervals won't cause you to gain weight if you aren't spiking insulin all the time.

And occasional fasting will trigger autophagy, which may, among other things, help to prevent dementia cause by accumulation of beta amyloid debris in the brain.

For a reliable report on existing studies, see:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.full

But women may not respond as well to fasting as men:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women...#axzz3U78qIgQ1

I personally don't advise fasting to lose weight because your body will just try to burn muscle to maintain fat levels. I do advocate it for people who are already fit and are not carb-dependent or maintaining their weight by calorie restriction/cardio exercise.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I miss eggs..
    they still hurt me.. even organic eggs
    too many eggs over a decade of raising chickens and ducks
    my digestive system said no more a couple of years ago.. I try to eat them every 6 months or so..
    still failing
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I miss eggs..
    they still hurt me.. even organic eggs
    too many eggs over a decade of raising chickens and ducks
    my digestive system said no more a couple of years ago.. I try to eat them every 6 months or so..
    still failing
    Have you ever tried a good whey protein? How about good probiotics?

I just eat when I feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    not the whey protein but ACV, organic yogurt and occasionally acidopholous (sp)
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Quality whey protein is awesomesauce.

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
    I usually am not hungry at breakfast, but I really do lose weight if I make myself eat it.

If I fast through to lunch (which is what my body/stomach/brain? would prefer) I seem to hold onto weight. If I eat breakfast, I drop weight.

I like a light breakfast, a large lunch, and a light dinner. I usually don't snack much either. My vice is sweet drinks.
    FWIW, my experience seems to have been the opposite. I have an athletic history and I've deliberately dropped about 20 lbs from my heaviest since I started paying attention. I don't seem to have much trouble keeping it off, but there are many days when I skip breakfast and I've tried both but recent experience seems to favor fasting.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post

I've heard that before and tried it (I'm not fat, btw, just conscious of my weight after I quit running) both while running and while I was relatively sedentary. So far, just limiting caloric consumption seems to work the best and fasting doesn't seem to have any negative effects so I'm not sure about that theory.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    not the whey protein but ACV, organic yogurt and occasionally acidopholous (sp)
    It just sounds like digestive stress you are having. Seventy percent of your immune system sits in your gut. A good Organic whey protein with a good probiotic would help to heal that digestive stress.

References:
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/04/28/u...-health/#close
    http://austinpublishinggroup.com/nut...-v1-id1002.php
    http://www.source-organic.com/collec...FdgMgQodY78A2w
    http://www.rawguru.com/store/potent-...rebiotics.html

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Undefeated UFC Bantamweight Champion, Olympic medalist, Ronda Rousey only eats one meal a day.

And then she can do this:

Last edited by orenbus; 03-12-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

When I used to do heavy physical labor all day, I needed a meal earlier in the day to keep my energy up. I still do heavy work 3 to 4 days a week but it is not constant so I usually just eat in the evening during the work week.

I found that I just gain weight on 3 meals a day and stay hungry.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post

But women may not respond as well to fasting as men:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women...#axzz3U78qIgQ1
    That was really interesting. I fast when I feel bloated - usually after a cheat meal (bread). It seems to make me feel better. I've done the apple cleanse a few times and feel great when I do that. I usually lose a pound or two but I've never lost 5 - some have reported they lose 5 lbs when they do it.

I have two meals per day, and the first one is always forced ... one egg, two pieces of bacon and an english muffin with a glass of orange juice. I could take it or leave it. I went for years eating one meal per day, so two meals per day is force fed lol .. I'm 5' 3" and weigh in at 106 pounds. Not much bigger than a sack of potatoes but larger than I was at 18 years old (98 pounds).

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I have two meals per day, and the first one is always forced ... one egg, two pieces of bacon and an english muffin with a glass of orange juice. I could take it or leave it. I went for years eating one meal per day, so two meals per day is force fed lol .. I'm 5' 3" and weigh in at 106 pounds. Not much bigger than a sack of potatoes but larger than I was at 18 years old (98 pounds).
    When I say "lifestyle" I mean your physical activity level, sleep patterns, etc. as well as your diet. ~hugs~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast