Thread: Committee approves bill to decriminalize marijuana

Committee approves bill to decriminalize marijuana

CONCORD, N.H. —New Hampshire may soon join other New England states in loosening the law when it comes to marijuana possession.

The Committee on Criminal Justice voted overwhelmingly Thursday to support a measure making it a violation, rather than a criminal offense, to possess a half-ounce or less of marijuana.

Under current law, possession of an ounce of marijuana or less is a Class A misdemeanor that carries with it a possible year in jail, but some believe that when it comes to societal problems, there are bigger fish to fry.

"We should be better spending our limited time and resources, and on top of that, the New Hampshire Constitution says the penalty ought to fit the crime," said Rep. Adam Shroadter, R-Newmarket.

Under Shroadter's bill, possession of a half-ounce would carry a penalty of a $100 fine for the first offense. Violators would not have a criminal record.

"I've been a cop for 43 years, and I've never seen anybody go to jail for a first offense," said Rep. John Tholl, R-Whitefield. "So reducing it to a violation is a good fit, I think."

"This is a good idea, whether New Hampshire is going to legalize marijuana next year, in 20 years or never," said Matt Simon of the Marijuana Policy Project. "It's just about, what should our priorities be?"

Police chiefs have long opposed the concept of decriminalizing marijuana in New Hampshire, while others said they believe loosening the current laws only tightens the grip of addiction.

"I don't have a problem with medical marijuana, but the recreational use," said Rep. John Martin, R-Bow. "We are just adding one more intoxicant to the pantheon of drugs out there for people to use, and I don't think it's right."

Even with the positive recommendation from the Criminal Justice Committee, the bill faces an uncertain future when it hits the floor of the House and Senate.

A recent WMUR poll showed that 71 percent of New Hampshire adults either favored loosening the current law or legalizing marijuana altogether.
    http://www.wmur.com/politics/committ...juana/31638502

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not good enough. I would have voted against this and any other bill short of full legalization. This runs the risk of letting some steam out of the movement.
    I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States...When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, I will rout you out!

Andrew Jackson, 1834

I'm surprised the "Live free or die" state is behind Colorado on this.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

"I don't have a problem with medical marijuana, but the recreational use," said Rep. John Martin, R-Bow. "We are just adding one more intoxicant to the pantheon of drugs out there for people to use, and I don't think it's right."
    Hear, hear! Thanks for standing up for what you believe others shouldn't be doing in their free time.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Hear, hear! Thanks for standing up for what you believe others shouldn't be doing in their free time.
    You make me LOL! You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bxm042 again.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    They're working on the dying part it's just taking a while.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Pot smokers are stooooooooped , I remember that from high school , I had a friend....lol

But I applaud any state that salutes freedom by getting the ##C# out of the lives of the citizens they
    are supposed to serve .

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    NH doesn't have ballot initiatives. Over 70% of voters in NH might support decriminalization. Both candidates for governor campaigned as supporting decriminalization. However, the current governor lied. She relies on police to support her reelection efforts. Police like that she lied about her lack of support for decriminalization.

No state isn't even close to perfect. That's certainly true of NH too
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    NH doesn't have ballot initiatives. Over 70% of voters in NH might support decriminalization. Both candidates for governor campaigned as supporting decriminalization. However, the current governor lied. She relies on police to support her reelection efforts. Police like that she lied about her lack of support for decriminalization.

No state isn't even close to perfect. That's certainly true of NH too

New Hampshire lawmakers vote for bill decriminalizing marijuana

(Reuters) - State representatives in New Hampshire on Wednesday voted overwhelmingly for a bill that would decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana, although the measure is likely to face resistance from the senate and the governor.

The bill, passed by the state House of Representatives by a vote of 297-67, would essentially treat possessing up to a half ounce (14 grams) of marijuana like a traffic violation. A first offense would carry a $100 fine.

The measure would bring New Hampshire in line with other New England states that have relaxed marijuana possession laws in recent years.

The House has passed several decriminalization bills in past years, but they have failed to make it out of the Senate. Governor Maggie Hassan, a Democrat, has said she would veto a decriminalization bill.

Wednesday's winning margin in the Republican-majority House, however, was bigger than in previous votes in favor of decriminalization, and it raises the possibility that a super-majority of lawmakers may be able override any veto by the governor.

http://news.yahoo.com/hampshire-lawm...152847832.html

She campaigned in support of marijuana decriminalization. Now she opposes it. At least the NH House is not filled with people like her. 82% just voted for Decriminalization.

Three cheers for the New Hampshire House. Today it passed Marijuana Decriminalization 297 to 67, Hemp Legalization, and created a committee to study Legalizing Marijuana.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 03-11-2015 at 09:07 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.