Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NJ deli owner "White History Month"

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    It's funny how you focus on that guy when the title of your thread is about another idiot.
    This is Tod's thread last I checked. As far as Borgess, his sins are for (a) not being aware of his surroundings and (b) being unable to cogently tell the PC police why they are wrong. It's solely a private property issue. He has no obligation to the community but they can in turn boycott him. As foolish as Borgess was in this instance, these type of encounters should happen more often so as to provoke thought.
    Last edited by AuH20; 03-05-2015 at 11:41 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    This is Tod's thread last I checked. As far as Borgess, his sins are for (a) not being aware of his surroundings and (b) being unable to cogently tell the PC police why they are wrong. It's solely a private property issue. He has no obligation to the community but they can in turn boycott him. As foolish as Borgess was in this instance, these type of encounters should happen more often so as to provoke thought.
    You want more people to put their livelihoods (and that of their employees) at risk over identity politics? You don't find that disgusting? I do, as a libertarian, who sees people as individuals, not members of a group.

Also, aren't you just playing into what the Establishment wants: divisiveness?

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You want more people to put their livelihoods (and that of their employees) at risk over identity politics? You don't find that disgusting? I do, as a libertarian, who sees people as individuals, not members of a group.

Also, aren't you just playing into what the Establishment wants: divisiveness?
    There is a calculated group dynamic being utilized to discourage such displays of personal expression. Now obviously this isn't how most of us would like to express ourselves by adopting the language and tactics of the enemy, but in principle I have no problem what he did.

There is a calculated group dynamic being utilized to discourage such displays of personal expression. Now obviously this isn't how most of us would like to express ourselves by adopting the language and tactics of the enemy, but in principle I have no problem what he did.
    Yeah, without trying to sound preachy, I think that's a principle that you need to examine further. There's nothing libertarian about it. Of course, you may reject libertarianism, so...yeah.

Yeah, without trying to sound preachy, I think that's a principle that you need to examine further. There's nothing libertarian about it. Of course, you may reject libertarianism, so...yeah.
    You're entitled to your opinion. I don't see how a sign made with no malicious intent breaches the libertarian code. It certainly could hurt feelings in the eye of the beholder, but I'm puzzled why it could be a libertarian faux pas. I could certainly be mistaken.
    Last edited by AuH20; 03-06-2015 at 12:22 AM.

You're entitled to your opinion. I don't see how a sign made with no malicious intent breaches the libertarian code. It certainly could hurt feelings in the eye of the beholder, but I'm puzzled why it could be a libertarian faux pas.
    His sign isn't a breach of the NAP. I just don't know why you're celebrating it, given it's antithetical to the libertarian position of viewing a person not as a member of a group but as an individual.

His sign isn't a breach of the NAP. I just don't know why you're celebrating it, given it's antithetical to the libertarian position of viewing a person not as a member of a group but as an individual.
    I don't think I'm celebrating it because I don't subscribe to its mission statement. I already stated earlier that white is an inaccurate, broad term. However, what I do support is Borgess's defiance in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    How come this guy doesnt feel violated by black history month, or puerto rican day parade, gay pride day, or any one of a plethora of other celebrated occasions based on race or ethnic heritage?
    May be half Puerto Rican and gay and born in Black History month ?, reg.'d Dem though, I imagine....

If I had a Deli , I would take all of your money , every month.LOL

I'm not PC, but if you can't understand why "white history" celebration would rub a black person the wrong way, then you're being purposely obtuse.

That doesn't mean it's a rational POV to blame "white" people for slavery, since we all know that slavery has been prevalent among small portions of all races, but if I were black, I'm not sure I'd feel the need to rationalize a resentment to a white American male celebrating a history that not that long ago included my slavery in this country.

Really I don't think a one can even justify celebrating "white history" without it being a politically aggressive statement. Sure, celebrating your country of origin, your family roots, things like that, perfectly fine, but focusing on sensitive race issues only makes things worse and is clearly politically motivated. If we claim to be individualists, then we'd be smart to try to get past race, instead of defend those who want to continue to fuel the fire that categorizes and divides us.

That doesn't mean he wasn't well within his rights, he was, but cmon, trying to defend this as something more than a poor use of political capitol, just seems silly to me.
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We all know that white identity is inherently evil and that all other ethnic identities are benign. I learned it in my ethnic studies class. My professor told me how anyone who is proud of being white is racist. "Whiteness" isn't a real thing, whereas "blackness" is.

This man is evil and would probably create a Fourth Reich if he had the chance. His ideas are so dangerous I don't think we can - in good conscience - let him do this. We must make him stop and arrest him if he refuses! It's only right! You don't want another Hitler on your hands, do you?
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

From what I've seen, here in the South, relatively few Blacks seem to care about Black history month. I think it means more to white folks than blacks. It's a month where white liberals guilt themselves (and other unsuspecting/undeserving white folks) for things grandpa did, and think that adding more units to the gov't housing projects is the way to make amends. In grade school we had teachers who would make us do presentations on historical Black figures, and it was mostly the black kids in class who put the least amount of effort and interest into the projects.

Maybe it's not for me to say, but I think most civil rights leaders of that day would be ashamed of the stagnation and dependency that black communities have fallen into. Of course I can't say that, because, well, I'm white and that's not politically correct unless a black person says it.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Oh, the irony right here is thick.

he could have avoided the controversy by having an Italian-American week, German-American week, Irish American week etc.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinch View Post
    If we claim to be individualists, then we'd be smart to try to get past race, instead of defend those who want to continue to fuel the fire that categorizes and divides us.
    There will be no 'getting past race' as long as double standards exist.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Wait, he apologized and took the sign down?

Another victim of white guilt.

LibForestPaul

This guy is racist. I am not White, I am Norse.

Yeah.........at my business every month is White History Month & if you have a problem with that I can get along just fine without your trade.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    This guy is racist. I am not White, I am Norse.
    You one of those black Norwegians?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    You one of those black Norwegians?
    I'm a mutt but I'm a white skinned American born mutt who's watched various races, religions and other with differentiating characteristics trumpet their collective identities and I find it ironic that any of them could take offense at the deli-dude..

The propaganda is apparently having the desired effect........

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Maybe it's not for me to say, but I think most civil rights leaders of that day would be ashamed of the stagnation and dependency that black communities have fallen into. Of course I can't say that, because, well, I'm white and that's not politically correct unless a black person says it.
    It's not even politically correct if a black person says it.

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2016 at 07:53 PM.

What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    FWIW, in the NJ/philly area it is a marketing strategy specifically for sandwich/steak shops that has shown some significant success.
    I could go for a sandwich , but , off to the hardware store to catch some oil on sale for 1.93 a quart .

Really I don't think a one can even justify celebrating "white history" without it being a politically aggressive statement. Sure, celebrating your country of origin, your family roots, things like that, perfectly fine, but focusing on sensitive race issues only makes things worse and is clearly politically motivated. If we claim to be individualists, then we'd be smart to try to get past race, instead of defend those who want to continue to fuel the fire that categorizes and divides us.
    There is no "getting past race". Race is a real, scientific category based on phenotypic differences, allele frequency and the heritability of certain traits, especially cognitive ability. Racial preference for one's own is inherent, and not something that will ever be eliminated. Yeah, of course people are judged as individuals, but that's only if: A) you have the ability to judge them individually in whatever situation you're in and B) they don't actually embody the worst traits of their particular race, which A LOT of people do.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    There is no "getting past race". Race is a real, scientific category based on phenotypic differences, allele frequency and the heritability of certain traits, especially cognitive ability. Racial preference for one's own is inherent, and not something that will ever be eliminated. Yeah, of course people are judged as individuals, but that's only if: A) you have the ability to judge them individually in whatever situation you're in and B) they don't actually embody the worst traits of their particular race, which A LOT of people do.
    Much of this 'reverse racism' utilized against so-called whites is actually a thinly veiled attack on Western Civilization and it's values, which in run in direct contrast to the globalist agenda. Destroy the core precepts of Western Civilization (something Marx preached incessantly) and you can in turn melt the down the individual for your own purposes. It's always been the cultural software (accumulated experiences that culminated into Western Civ) so to speak that trumps the superficial hardware (the white skin).
    Last edited by AuH20; 03-06-2015 at 10:33 AM.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    Race is a real, scientific category based on phenotypic differences, allele frequency and the heritability of certain traits, especially cognitive ability.
    What phenotypic differences specifically? Is there a list of them we can use to determine what race someone is objectively? And is there are reason you say "especially cognitive ability"? Is that phenotypic difference a more important one in placing someone into a racial category than others?

So just so we're clear, white people should get past the race issues but black/brown/gay/or whatever shouldn't do the same? I find black history month to be just as racist as white history month and frankly the folks that continue with all the BS are the ones that continue to fan the flames of racism in America.

I'm not PC, but if you can't understand why "white history" celebration would rub a black person the wrong way, then you're being purposely obtuse.

That doesn't mean it's a rational POV to blame "white" people for slavery, since we all know that slavery has been prevalent among small portions of all races, but if I were black, I'm not sure I'd feel the need to rationalize a resentment to a white American male celebrating a history that not that long ago included my slavery in this country.

That doesn't mean he wasn't well within his rights, he was, but cmon, trying to defend this as something more than a poor use of political capitol, just seems silly to me.

Na if a black person says that, they're guilty of "acting white".

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    So just so we're clear, white people should get past the race issues but black/brown/gay/or whatever shouldn't do the same? I find black history month to be just as racist as white history month and frankly the folks that continue with all the BS are the ones that continue to fan the flames of racism in America.
    Black history month doesn't bother me one bit. However, seeing people being manipulated and intimidated into desired solutions via these unsavory methods is what bothers me. I remember when Rand unveiled his budget a few years back, there was talk about his budget being 'racist' due to the departments that he was cutting into. That's the type of nonsense that I'm referring to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast